New Tune - Rearview

Listened on HPs - vocals are a little bright and I agree with Manslick, a little thin sounding. The level of the vocal is at good level.

I also noticed that the lead wasn't competing with the vocals this time, when vocals were going it laid back and then in the break came back on. This new mix to me has a better production balance.

On full speakers (regular floor JBLs) - vocals were not as bright, but tended to lean that way. Sub and bass kicks really nice. On the stereo, vocals could come up some especially if you take some of the high out.

Other than the vocal mix, it sounds pretty spot on. Sort out the vocal IMO and you have a really good mix.

This is way better Chili. As DM60 said, the mix sounds balanced. Nothing is getting in the way of anything else. I'm hearing all the parts of your arrangement clearly, as well getting that sense of space and separation between them. Sounds great. True, the lead vocal might be a little thin-sounding. Did you double the lead vocal?

Thanks for taking the time to listen, guys. Good to hear it's getting closer. I will work on the vocals a little more tonight. If that's all I gotta do, I'm very happy. One thing I noticed after posting was some sibiliance. I can adjust the reverb a little more to address.

Robus, I use a slapback echo and reverb. I almost never double the vocals. In fact, I'm kinda anti-doubling actually. lol

Cool :cool:

That mix is way better. The drum and bass sound like they're pumping (overly compressed?), but the overall clarity is good now. There's still some brightness in the vocal that's a little distracting. I'd personally try a different mic and find that dynamics (re-11 is my favorite for vocals) are nice for taming harshness. Still, it's much improved.

I think that the overall clarity is better. The vocals sound a little too hot in the upper-mid frequencies, maybe around 3-5K somewhere? Sounds like they even distort at a few points when you really start pushing. I don't remember if that was in the original or not.

Balance of everything sounds good to me. I think it sounds a little less 80s now, and I think that's a good thing. The reverbs were getting in the way of the last mix, and this one sounds more immediate, more present. But yeah that vocal is definitely distorting at several points throughout the song.

The second mix sounds better to me - the vocal is really different, and I like it better overall, but has a high-end edge to it that sounds a little harsh on my system.

The drums are a lot better - I could barely hear the toms at all in the first one.

Nice song! You're definitely signing in a higher register than I remember a few years ago (gawd - 10 years ago?) - sounds great. I've been practicting singing, and I'm almost caught up to where you were 10 years ago. If you take a really long break, I might catch up

I'd personally try a different mic and find that dynamics

You know, that's not a bad idea. I've got an EV ND797 that I've been wanting to try. The mic I used is an SP C1 and it is bright. But I have been using it for a while, so maybe some EQ changes will fix it. I tell ya, I hate retracking. :( Thanks for the listen.

maybe around 3-5K somewhere?
I think you nailed it. One of the adjustments I made was to lower the vocal in the 6K range and bring up the 3K. Should be an easy fix. As for the clipping, I don't think so, but maybe. I'm not good at hearing that stuff when the mix is dense like this one.

The second mix sounds better to me - the vocal is really different, and I like it better overall, but has a high-end edge to it that sounds a little harsh on my system.

The drums are a lot better - I could barely hear the toms at all in the first one.

Nice song! You're definitely signing in a higher register than I remember a few years ago (gawd - 10 years ago?) - sounds great. I've been practicting singing, and I'm almost caught up to where you were 10 years ago. If you take a really long break, I might catch up
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I tuned those high notes. I don't want any false representation here. :D I remember singing Wichita Lineman for you many years ago. I tuned that whole vocal track. I remember you asked for the untuned track just to hear the difference.... I'm still embarrassed to this day about that. Ha ha. But that's a tough song to sing. I still can't do it justice.

Thanks for the kind words, though, about the song and my singing.

Good tune Chili. I think I listened to the latest mix - there are two attached to the first post with the same filename. I picked the one with fewer views on the assumption that this was probably the newer one.

Playing and arrangement are both solid. The mix is good other than the harshness of the vocals, which stopped me from really turning the mix up much. If you can fix that, then I think you're ready to call this pretty much done.

As for the clipping, I don't think so, but maybe. I'm not good at hearing that stuff when the mix is dense like this one.

It's not clipping that I'm hearing, but a saturation kind of distortion. I only hear it when you're pushing the vocal loud. I have a feeling its just an overload going into a compressor on the vocal track. I've got a couple of compressor VSTs that'll drive into harmonic distortion when they're pushed hard, like H-Comp.

Listening to the second mix.

I thought the guitars sounded real good. Maybe just a bit too much bite to the clean-ish guitars in the intro, but not bad. After they start breaking up, they sound good.

Bass sounds pretty good. Maybe just a tad on the boomy side. If you have a low end boost in it, I'd back off of it.

Drums are OK. Snare gets buried behind the snare.

The vocal, to me, needs the most attention. It's got some ear darts going on. Louder words are harsh.

Thanks for all the comments and help. I reworked just the vocal track. Hopefully, those ear darts are gone.

I'm now a little concerned with the clean guitar on the right side. It seems to be piling on with the crash during the chorus. Maybe a little too much??? What do you think? I might simply swap sides.

Sorry for the confusion earlier for the attachments. Here is mix #3.

View attachment Rearview3.mp3

I listened to Rearview3.

The first thing I noticed was a bit improvement in the vocal from the last version I listened to. The tone is much better. I think it needs to be boosted. It seems like it's behind the guitars.

But I thought everything else sounded nice and well balanced.

On my HPs, this sounds really good. Vocals are clear and yet sit in the mix pretty good, maybe come up, but I think they sit nice as they are. No harsh tones in the vocals.

Your left/right panning on the effect comes through really good on HPs.

I've got nothing, really good mix.

Thanks for sticking through a third mix. I think I'm calling this one done. The suggestions made seem sublte enough, but made a big impact on the final results. Thanks much to everyone for helping me out.

Cheers,

I listened to Rearview3.

I noticed was a bit improvement in the vocal from the last version I listened to. The tone is much better. .

I meant "big" improvement. "bit" improvement was a typo. Sorry.

But yeah the mix is really nice.

Back