New Speakers?

Jay C

I want to change the speakers in my amp, Blackstar ht 60 stage. 2x12. i know i need 16 ohm speakers , but what about watts? does it matter how much? the amp is a 60 watt.

My first thought would be to leave the Celestions in there. If they don't sound to your liking, then decide which speakers would be better suited. But Celestions are fine.
Then keep in mind I have weird theories on everything. I think of a speaker this way; the treble frequencies come more from the center or right around the voice coil, and the bass frequencies come from the outer edge. This is why 'woofer' types have a rubber surround; for maximum pliability and excursion. So if the amp seems to lack bass response, I either look at breaking in the speaker more, or find a low wattage speaker with a thinner cone paper. That should allow the cone to move easier, and have more bass. Putting in say a 100-watt speaker would mean not much power pushing the cone, so not as much bass response. Each speaker would get 30-watts, so the lower the rating of the speaker, the better for my crazy theory to work. A 50-watt speaker is the most I'd try.
Now I look at the efficiency, or how loud they are. Some speakers are simply 'better' at converting input signal into audio. Others waste a lot of that input as heat. If you think the amp is plenty loud already, then a less efficient speaker could be the ticket. This means you have to crank up the amp to get volume, and the great break up with a low wattage speaker just equals great tone. You could try say the Jensen C12Q; 35-watts, and an efficiency of 94.6dB, which isn't very efficient. But they could sound awesome in your amp cranked up. Compare that to the C12N, which is 50-watts, and with an efficiency rating of 98.4db, which means a 4dB increase in volume. If you think the amp could be louder and have more headroom, then the C12N could be the ticket.
That's a start. Again, my ideas aren't necessarily sane and rational, but they make sense and work for me.

I want to change the speakers in my amp, Blackstar ht 60 stage. 2x12. i know i need 16 ohm speakers , but what about watts? does it matter how much? the amp is a 60 watt.

Speakers have a big impact in how the amp sounds. Go listen to some clips on different speaker websites and identify the characteristics that you like and dislike.

What are the speakers in there currently? Celestion makes some good shit and some bad shit. Which ones do you have?

And why do you think you need 16 ohm speakers? I would go with two 8 ohm speakers in series giving you a 16 ohm total load. Then you could add another 16 ohm cab and run them together with an 8 ohm load on the amp. 16 ohm cabs are more versatile.

Speakers have a big impact in how the amp sounds. Go listen to some clips on different speaker websites and identify the characteristics that you like and dislike.

What are the speakers in there currently? Celestion makes some good shit and some bad shit. Which ones do you have?

And why do you think you need 16 ohm speakers? I would go with two 8 ohm speakers in series giving you a 16 ohm total load. Then you could add another 16 ohm cab and run them together with an 8 ohm load on the amp. 16 ohm cabs are more versatile.

they are seventy/80's. i'd like something with a little less mids i guess. these speakers seem honky to me. i have been listening to comparisons on youtube and i think i'm close to choosing. also i do already have an 8ohm 4x12 cab that i like to use when im jamming with my drummer, ( 6x12 sounds lovely.) on the back of the amp are 5 different outputs for different ohms, i probably should go with a 4ohm load,but then i'd have to spend a week figuring out what inputs to use without blowing up my new amp. lol.. right now when i use the cab, i plug the internal speakers into the 1x4 ohm slot, and the cab into the 2x8 slot. i wasn't using the right outputs for a few jams and almost shit myself when i discovered what i had been doing.

right now when i use the cab, i plug the internal speakers into the 1x4 ohm slot, and the cab into the 2x8 slot. i wasn't using the right outputs for a few jams and almost shit myself when i discovered what i had been doing.

How+to+use+fire+extinguishers.gif

WARNING:
The output marked ‘1x16 Ohm’ should never be used at the same
time as any of the outputs marked ‘1x8 Ohm or 2x16 Ohm’ or ‘1x4 Ohm or 2x8
Ohm’ outputs. The outputs marked ‘1x8 Ohm or 2x16 Ohm’ or ‘1x4 Ohm or 2x8
Ohm’ outputs should never be used at the same time. Failure to correctly match the
impedance of the amplifier and speakers will damage the amplifier

blownamp.gif

they are seventy/80's. i'd like something with a little less mids i guess. these speakers seem honky to me. i have been listening to comparisons on youtube and i think i'm close to choosing. also i do already have an 8ohm 4x12 cab that i like to use when im jamming with my drummer, ( 6x12 sounds lovely.) on the back of the amp are 5 different outputs for different ohms, i probably should go with a 4ohm load,but then i'd have to spend a week figuring out what inputs to use without blowing up my new amp. lol.. right now when i use the cab, i plug the internal speakers into the 1x4 ohm slot, and the cab into the 2x8 slot. i wasn't using the right outputs for a few jams and almost shit myself when i discovered what i had been doing.
you're prolly still not using the right outputs.
First ..... am I right in assuming the speakers that are in it now are 16ohm which would be why you say you know you need 16ohm speakers?
If the speakers in the amp are 16ohm ..... then they're gonna be wired in parallel without a doubt so they would have a total load of 8 ohms.
So the internal speakers should be plugged into one of the 8ohm outs.
And then the 8ohm cabinet should go in the other 8 ohm out. Yes ..... that gives you a total load of 4 ohms but that's why they would have 2 8ohm outs.
My mesa's have the same 5 outs on them. I actually called Mesa and they told me it didn't much matter which ones I used and I should try them all and see if I liked one better than the others soundwise because they'd all sound different.

you're prolly still not using the right outputs.
First ..... am I right in assuming the speakers that are in it now are 16ohm which would be why you say you know you need 16ohm speakers?
If the speakers in the amp are 16ohm ..... then they're gonna be wired in parallel without a doubt so they would have a total load of 8 ohms.
So the internal speakers should be plugged into one of the 8ohm outs.
And then the 8ohm cabinet should go in the other 8 ohm out. Yes ..... that gives you a total load of 4 ohms but that's why they would have 2 8ohm outs.
My mesa's have the same 5 outs on them. I actually called Mesa and they told me it didn't much matter which ones I used and I should try them all and see if I liked one better than the others soundwise because they'd all sound different.

i liked the sound better before so if it's not going to destroy my amp i'll just switch back. i did read a post once and the guy was saying that a lot of amps just have 1 output and not specific to any load. so i wonder what would be the difference here. there is a chart on page 11 of the manual , can you please look at it. ? i did read in another post that the manual might be wrong.

http://www.blackstaramps.com/pdf/handbooks/ht-stage-60-100-handbook.pdf

The manual is not wrong. If you don't follow the chart and you use multiple transformer taps at the same time you will most likely smoke the output transformer.

if you're using the internal speakers it hooks to the 8ohm out ...... if you add a second 8ohm can they each go in the 2x8ohm outs.

Back