New Song - Tell Me

ido1957

9K Gold Member
New song just finished mixing today. Would appreciate a listen and let us know if everything is working well together.

Collab by:
mjhamil - Vocals, Bass
ido1957 - Vocals, Guitars
PoeticIntensity - Drums

Thanks to Jason Jones on drums - always get great tracks from him :D .

Thanks for the listens!

Attachments

• Tell Me 320mp3 20160227.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 49
I like it. Your lead vocal isn't sitting as well as it should. Early in the song, it sounds like it is a different space than the backing track. Later when you are rocking out, the lead vocal might need to come up to match the levels of the accompaniment. It gets buried in places.

Thanks Rob, aiming for some proximity effect in the verses, bit of belting in the latter. I think Mike did a great job on selecting a couple of different modes for the song vocally. He's using an AKG XLSII into a Focusrite ISA430 which has a nice rich close up feel but when you step back and push it a bit it smooths right out. Appreciate the feedback and glad you like the tune!

Love the harmonies on this one.

So, when the song first started out, I thought it was going to a bit pedestrian, but when the chorus kicked in, I was hooked. It's a nice throwback to the classic rock era.

I think the lead vocal needs some small tweak with eq to sit in the mix a little better. I think the level is right, just gotta massage.
I suggest some automation on the noodling guitar part. Bring it in and out of the spotlight between lyric passages.

Yeah, that chorus is going to stick with me the rest of the night. That's what you want from a song! :)

Hey I'm the guitar player - what do you expect when I mix things lol - yep could use some ins and outs. Appreciate the listen and all you have to do is listen to some other catchy tune - we listened to Life in the Fast Lane to clear our heads between mixes (seriously/live of course). I'll fiddle with eq - much of it is printed but the track is pretty responsive so it might just work....:D:D:D:D

I used to pay live with a pretty hot local Sax player and as you said it adds so much tasty stuff to a band. He doubled on flute so that added even more range for the band. Haven't seen him since I went back to school in the 90's but if I looked hard enough I'll bet I could track him down. Maybe some day I'll drag out some of the old cassettes and post something. :D:D:D:D

Sounds great, Gerry! I'm always happy to help with drums, man. This was a fun one, and you didn't know this, but I got a new Pearl piccolo snare, and the first time I recorded it was for this song. I think it turned out great!

ooooh that sax idea is great...i can definitely hear that. something bright and sparkly just for that extra edge up there. i agree. good call.

this is very good, i thought. i think the fillers were excellent, but could use some adjusting in exactly where they're used. i'm also more of a fan of fillers that aren't solos being panned rather than sitting underneath the vocal. but that's personal preference. i think the bass could come up a touch...just a smidgeon. an ounce. a tad.

nice work ido

Sounds great, Gerry! I'm always happy to help with drums, man. This was a fun one, and you didn't know this, but I got a new Pearl piccolo snare, and the first time I recorded it was for this song. I think it turned out great!
Hey Jason - the snare sounds great BTW. We used your suggestions and the drums are our own mix on this track. We wanted to see what we could do with individual tracks. Since you haven't mentioned anything drastically wrong I guess we are moving in the right direction. But if you do have any suggestions on how to improve the drums we'd be very happy to hear them... Always learning and always trying to improve (not just on drums of course lol)....

ooooh that sax idea is great...i can definitely hear that. something bright and sparkly just for that extra edge up there. i agree. good call.

this is very good, i thought. i think the fillers were excellent, but could use some adjusting in exactly where they're used. i'm also more of a fan of fillers that aren't solos being panned rather than sitting underneath the vocal. but that's personal preference. i think the bass could come up a touch...just a smidgeon. an ounce. a tad.

nice work ido
Good point - Mike and I try to sneak solos in between lines and usually sit them under the lead vocal (i.e. centered).
This one was a bit of a change up. The lead is panned 15% left as it was crowding the vocals.
I got a bit busier at the end but that's pretty much the norm for a lot of our arrangements (plus there was no actual lead break so where else could I wail out lol)

Cool tune dawg. I like it :D
Thanks Phil - appreciate the listen and glad you like it :)

The bass is really happening.
the 1st few lead licks were very saxy!
The vocals really develop as the song goes on.
Nice work fellows - Jason - that means you too.

The bass is really happening.
the 1st few lead licks were very saxy!
The vocals really develop as the song goes on.
Nice work fellows - Jason - that means you too.

Hey Ray - thanks for the listen and feedback - glad you liked it and it sounds like we have a bit of a handle on this one :D

Back