New Song - Hey Hey Hey

I made some changes.
Boosted the bass in the 900hz region.
Bumped up the vocal and eased off on the compression a little. Don't think it made much difference.
Lowered the OH in EZD a smidge.
Lowered the EQ globally in the 4khz range to help tame the cymbals.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Sorry I missed the new mix. I do think losing some of the compression on the vocal has made a difference. The big improvement is the bass and overheads. I'm feeling the bass here, whereas not so much in the first mix. There's still some excessive brightness going on, though not so much as in the first mix. I think it may be a buildup in your upper midrange--you've got a lot going on in those frequencies: Cymbals, horns, that brighter guitar on the right, and some of the louder notes in the vocal.

Nice groove, especially in the middle parts of the song where you stretch it out and jam. I'm digging the keyboard. You're getting a very natural, organic feel from EZD. You're having more luck with that than I am.

Here's another mix with some recommended changes. Thanks to everyone who helped. I think this will be the last version of this one. On to the next song.....

I listened to "latest and last".

Wow nice bass. Everything sounds well balanced to me, the horns are really nice. Don't hear a lot of those on here. . . Like how everything threatens to fall apart just before the break but stays under control. I really don't have anything to say about the mix, sounds great to me. Ending gets clipped short by like half a second maybe (could be SoundCloud, dunno.)

I listened to the last mix. It's really out of sight Chili. I guess the "thin" coments were about earlier mixes because it sounded nice and fat to me, without being boomy. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
great work!

Here's another mix with some recommended changes. Thanks to everyone who helped. I think this will be the last version of this one. On to the next song.....

sounds good .... bass is mo' betta' ..... can hear the sax better ... vocals are sitting about right to my taste .... nice stuff

The horn chart seems cool though, to my ear, there's a bit of a rush on a pair of notes.
Nice 'n' funky.

Thanks Ray. Yeah, some timing issues. We tracked on different days and didn't practice together.

Listening to mix #2.

Nice groove.

The guitars are drenched in reverb. I'd dry them up a bit.

Couple little timing gaks in the intro.

Vocal sounds good. This song is itching for a double tracked vocal. I'm tellin' ya.

Bass sounds real nice. It sets a cool groove.

Brass sounds nice to me all around. I'm not a brass guy, so I'm not an expert. But it sounded cool to me.

I'd like a more natural drum sound. These sounded too techno to me.
Thanks for the good words. Sorry man, I can't do doubled vocals. The most you'll get out of me is a slapback delay and some reverb. :D

Sorry I missed the new mix. I do think losing some of the compression on the vocal has made a difference. The big improvement is the bass and overheads. I'm feeling the bass here, whereas not so much in the first mix. There's still some excessive brightness going on, though not so much as in the first mix. I think it may be a buildup in your upper midrange you've got a lot going on in those frequencies: Cymbals, horns, that brighter guitar on the right, and some of the louder notes in the vocal.

Nice groove, especially in the middle parts of the song where you stretch it out and jam. I'm digging the keyboard. You're getting a very natural, organic feel from EZD. You're having more luck with that than I am.
I like the change on the vocal too. As I mentioned earlier, I've been using a new plug with the UAD interface and it changed my workflow. Hopefully, I have the brightness issues taken care of in the 3rd mix. Thanks for listening.

I listened to "latest and last".

Wow nice bass. Everything sounds well balanced to me, the horns are really nice. Don't hear a lot of those on here. . . Like how everything threatens to fall apart just before the break but stays under control. I really don't have anything to say about the mix, sounds great to me. Ending gets clipped short by like half a second maybe (could be SoundCloud, dunno.)

Thanks man. Glad the bass is working well. The suggestions made earlier were spot on. Umm, the ending sounds okay to me. Not sure what you're hearing, but what I'm hearing is intentional. It ends on a stab.

I listened to the last mix. It's really out of sight Chili. I guess the "thin" coments were about earlier mixes because it sounded nice and fat to me, without being boomy. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
great work!

Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed. Hopefully will get some more coming in the next few months. It is a lot of fun working with the kid. He is a real musician, vs me who is just a hack.

sounds good .... bass is mo' betta' ..... can hear the sax better ... vocals are sitting about right to my taste .... nice stuff

Thanks again for putting your ears on this. Your comments, and everyone else's, made a big difference. It was a big project that I was working on for quite sometime. Hell, I had to learn how to play a new instrument first!!! :D

Yeah, that was fun! What a different sort of sound for you. I think you captured the horns really well. I like the Rhodes sound too on that last soloing bit. Trumpet solo was cool...the guitar solo was pretty whacky, but fun.

I felt like the whole thing was so close to being really tight which can be crucial with funk, but it just felt a little loose in places rhythmically. Like the rhythm guitars were lagging just a hair behind the drums? I dunno. I think it's a good mix though with plenty of clear low end energy. Drums had a bit of that fake tone to them, but not too bad.

This is a fun tune!

Thank you very much. :)

Yeah, that was fun! What a different sort of sound for you. I think you captured the horns really well. I like the Rhodes sound too on that last soloing bit. Trumpet solo was cool...the guitar solo was pretty whacky, but fun.

I felt like the whole thing was so close to being really tight which can be crucial with funk, but it just felt a little loose in places rhythmically. Like the rhythm guitars were lagging just a hair behind the drums? I dunno. I think it's a good mix though with plenty of clear low end energy. Drums had a bit of that fake tone to them, but not too bad.

There were definitely some loose timing between my son and me. I think it's mostly my fault, but there were some places where he rushed. And then I did a little cut n paste for some of his parts, so the rushed notes were copied. Glad you liked the Rhodes, that's actually my favorite part of the song. :)

Back