New Song Day - Little Miss America

Whew... Almost had to de-friend you, ya know....

I hate Apple too.

LOL :eek: - but one of the things I heard was the hum on the bass track that the other guy mentioned... it's just that I think that iTunes is compressing the crap out of the tune so it's brought up really loud just before it starts playing... when your tune ended and iTunes rolled onto whatever was next, I heard something similar in that and thought hmm... never noticed that before. Really want to get home now and sort it out... it's annoying me! :mad:

It is a rocking riff you've got there and didn't have me thinking "Life In The Fast Lane"... although now kc's put that song into my head, damn him... he's a demon! :D

Hmmm, Apple has found a weakness and is exploiting it. Steve Jobs is 'smiling from the grave' (dibs on that song title!!)

I seriously can't hear any hum. I might be going deaf. A week or so ago, I was carrying a fever and checking my temp. The digital thermometer is beeping because it's done and I couldn't hear it. My daughter is sitting next to me and keeps going, "Dad..... Dad.... Dad..." Then she reaches over pulls out the thermometer and reads it. lol

So, did you hear the hum before the song starts? That might be the tele; single coil, ya know.

And yeah, Keith... never trust a clown. :D

Hey Chili. Just listening to mix 2 now. Yeah, that's a pretty cool riff you came up with there. Mix sounds ok to me. Plenty of clarity and separation and all of that.

I felt like the bass and guitar weren't locked in too tight when they were playing against each other or in unison. That's a tough part to repeat and get locked down tight I bet. Have you considered adding some sustained parts to the choruses? Like organ chords or strummed guitar chords? I know there were some in there, but I felt like more of that might create more contrast in the piece and give the chorus a little more oomph. I dunno, just some thoughts. This one is a little different in terms of style and I like hearing people stretch themselves a bit.

Thanks.

Hey Pete. Thanks for the listen. Yup, I was planning to add an organ and some variations on the drums. Got those complete and in the third mix below. Thanks for listening. Sorry, can't help ya with tightening up the performance. Eh, you know me....

I really try to stick to one style of music, but I can't seem to do that. I almost have enough songs for another CD and I started out trying to keep it focused, but that ain't happening anymore. Thranks mang.

Here's the third and last mix. Added an organ part, drum fills/crashes and tried to keep them to a minimum. Redid the vocals for the last time. You may not notice a difference.... :rolleyes: Made a whole myriad of little changes, edits, tweaks, etc.

Thanks again, ya'll.

View attachment Little Miss America3.mp3

Sounds a lot more complete and finished, I think... I might just turn the chorus vocals down a smidge and take a bit of top off them if it was me... and bump up the line immediately after them another smidge... YMMV.

Overall the vocal seems better too, less strained - more practiced etc.

Good stuff.:D

I only listened to the 3rd version, sounds good, a little too much verb on the snare for my liking, but that's just me. Can you add a Leslie to the organ sound? It sounds kinda flat. I'd probably go for an organ sound with more mid oomph to it, too.

Listened to #1 and #3..great job on taking the comments and improving the small areas that people pointed out. Cool song

Finally got to mix #3. It's wider and fuller sounding than mix #2. A definite improvement.

I still think the bass is a nudge too loud. Also a bit too strong in the low end. Not by much, but just a bit.

Vocals sound pretty good. They are lacking a little warmth. Again, just a small complaint.

I'd back off the reverb of everything. But you know me and reverb.

All in all, a real good mix.

Kewl tune!, I'd have the organ more prominent. I love organ and you have some nice licks there. I liked the drum sounds on the first mix better though, it could be because i keep thinking deep purple.

Harmony vox on the chorus work really well and maybe there's even more to squeeze out there. How about taking the vocal dynamics one step further, and sing the verse a whole octave lower, maybe even "talk" singing it. Your delivery is pretty salacious, you might be able to take that to the hilt with a speaking delivery :)

Good music.

Sounds a lot more complete and finished, I think... I might just turn the chorus vocals down a smidge and take a bit of top off them if it was me... and bump up the line immediately after them another smidge... YMMV.

Overall the vocal seems better too, less strained - more practiced etc.

Good stuff.:D

Yeah, maybe a smidge. Thanks for checking it out again.

I only listened to the 3rd version, sounds good, a little too much verb on the snare for my liking, but that's just me. Can you add a Leslie to the organ sound? It sounds kinda flat. I'd probably go for an organ sound with more mid oomph to it, too.
Well, I'm not one who likes to retrack and I don't want to add a leslie plug or simulate it, so at this point, nope. :D But, actually, I think don't think a leslie effect would be noticed much with everything else going on. I'll look at the drum reverb. Thanks for listening.

Listened to #1 and #3..great job on taking the comments and improving the small areas that people pointed out. Cool song

Thanks much!!

Finally got to mix #3. It's wider and fuller sounding than mix #2. A definite improvement.

I still think the bass is a nudge too loud. Also a bit too strong in the low end. Not by much, but just a bit.

Vocals sound pretty good. They are lacking a little warmth. Again, just a small complaint.

I'd back off the reverb of everything. But you know me and reverb.

All in all, a real good mix.

Thanks man!! I might agree the reverb on the snare might be a little too much and I'm going to take a look at it, but the reverb on the vox is probably going to stay where it is. It ain't got much. Anything on the guitars were tracked that way. Thanks for checking it out again.

Kewl tune!, I'd have the organ more prominent. I love organ and you have some nice licks there. I liked the drum sounds on the first mix better though, it could be because i keep thinking deep purple.

Harmony vox on the chorus work really well and maybe there's even more to squeeze out there. How about taking the vocal dynamics one step further, and sing the verse a whole octave lower, maybe even "talk" singing it. Your delivery is pretty salacious, you might be able to take that to the hilt with a speaking delivery :)

Good music.

No doubt Deep Purple is an influence and you might hear that percussive organ effect that Jon Lord was known for in parts of the chorus. I tried to find a decent balance so you can hear it without it stealing the show. To me, it's still a supporting instrument.

I had to look up 'Salacious' and I'll take that as a compliment. I should try to use that word in a song. :D Thanks for the listen and great comments.

I like the song... could use a bit more on the bottom end..got an 18 year old female singer down here in new Orleans who could rock that song!

Version 3. Sounds better. Still the vocal, though. I'd turn it up and put more space on it. The main vocal sounds a tad swamped and small compared to those delicious riffing guitars left and right. I mean, the song's those guitars and the vocal, right? So, they should have an equivalence. Turn up the vocal and it can match the guitars. Put some more space on it and it'll step back a bit and blend in.

Okay, I did what I said I wouldn't do and put up another final mix. I really like this song, so I'm putting in the "extra effort".

Here is version 4. Thoughts??

Don't forget to CraNk It!!

I like the song... could use a bit more on the bottom end..got an 18 year old female singer down here in new Orleans who could rock that song!

Yeah man, rock it out with your female singer. Low-E string tuned down to D. Everything else is easy-peasy. Thanks for listening.

Version 3. Sounds better. Still the vocal, though. I'd turn it up and put more space on it. The main vocal sounds a tad swamped and small compared to those delicious riffing guitars left and right. I mean, the song's those guitars and the vocal, right? So, they should have an equivalence. Turn up the vocal and it can match the guitars. Put some more space on it and it'll step back a bit and blend in.
Thanks. Everything should be good on the last mix.

Okay, I did what I said I wouldn't do and put up another final mix. I really like this song, so I'm putting in the "extra effort".
Here is version 4. Thoughts??
Don't forget to CraNk It!!

Dude, this song rocks. You are Awesome!!

I love the riff, Try adding some harmonic distortion to it. Get it to whistle.

Thanks for listening. Not sure about the whistling harmonics. I'm not sure I know what that is. Sorry. :o

Listening to mix #4. Damn, this is a solid mix! Everything sits well, and it's loud as fuck. The guitar riff reminds me of something James McMurtry would do (ala Choctaw Bingo). I can't find any nits to pick...everything seems to fit together very well. Nice work!

Cool stuff, rocks good! Oktaver crunchsound, is good!
The riff is a good idea and impresses itself!

Thanks man!! I appreciate it. :)

Listening to mix #4. Damn, this is a solid mix! Everything sits well, and it's loud as fuck. The guitar riff reminds me of something James McMurtry would do (ala Choctaw Bingo). I can't find any nits to pick...everything seems to fit together very well. Nice work!

Hey, it's great to hear those words. :D Makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere with my mixes. James McMurtry sounds familiar. I'm sure I've heard his music before, just can't place it. I'll look him up. Thanks for the listen and good words.

Back