New Recording Studio

StepStoneStudio

Hi,

I am in the process of building my home recording studio in the basement of my house and I am totally psyched for it to be ready and start making the most of it. My recording room will be approx. 15x13 and approx. 8' ceiling. My mixing room will be about the same but with a lower ceiling of about 6' or so.

-Will the recording room be big enough for a typical band (4-5 members or so)?
-What size monitors should I start out with in my mixing room? I have been keeping my eye out for the Yamaha HS-50m. Would these be too small?

-The window over the mixing desk looking into the recording room will be approx 4' wide x 3' tall and made of two sheets of 1/4" laminated glass. Does this sound sufficient for this type of application?

Are these too many questions??? Cuz I have more!!!:rolleyes:

StepStone,

It's possibly big enough.. depends, but I'm going to recommend that you 'flip' the rooms. use the larger one for mixing.. AND recording. The other room is only good for a booth. 15 x 13 x 8 = 1560 cubic feet. 1500 cubic feet or 42 cubic meters is the MINIMUM recommended size for a mix room.

About the glass between rooms.. depends on your room construction. How much Isolation do you require? Go to my publications page and read my paper with the same title.

Cheers,
John

I agree with John above. Is there a way to open it up so that both rooms end up being one larger room? Of course 13 x 15 isn't a tiny room but it's quite small when compared to a professional purpose built studio. Having a room twice the size is almost always better.

Home Recording Studio

We started ours in the corner of our Kitchen, progressed to 2 adjoining bedrooms. 12x12 with 1/4" glass (however it was slanted & at 10 degrees to keep reflections down off the glass)
This room is big enough unless it all live and using drums. Drums need to be in their own room, acoustics need to hang from ceiling at least 4" (floating cloud) Use at least 2" to 4" rigid panels. Have other tips but we are Backwoods Recording Studio in Nashville TN.

I just had an "encounter" with the local code enforcement officer and now I have no choice but to keep this space as one large room. Any suggestions as far as how to setup one room into a mixing room and a recording room? Do I just setup my desk with equipment at one side of the room and the drum set and mics and everything else at the other end?

Set your desk in the middle of the shortest wall firing down towards the longest end.

|----------------------------------|
|
| |
| *>
| |
|
|----------------------------------|

Yes. And when you track, use headphones. You will benefit both ways. It is a little more difficult to track drums, but you will get the hang of it. Be sure to treat the room properly (enough) - That means A LOT. ;)

Cheers,
John

I was thinking about building new studio where bands can go and record something. However, I really have no idea how much I need. Can somebody tell?

That's a bit vague....studios come in many sizes, and with many levels of equipment.

The question is not how much do you need....but how much are you willing and able to spend.

Back