New project-Iceman copy

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
New project-Iceman copy
I've always thought the Iceman was one of the coolest guitars, and this summer I decided to get a kit and go for it. Having several guitars that were black, red, or white I went with a Daytona yellow color from the local NAPA store. Here is the body and neck, it was bare wood that I used a sander sealer for a base coat.

Here is the body and neck after several coats of the yellow paint, I was able to use a spray booth at the local College and it worked nicely.

The next shot is the electronics wiring.

Here is the guitar strung up with some old strings-and it works through the amp! All Right!!!!!:guitar:

A shot of the Iceman hanging out with some new friends-my Fender Stratocaster, my Epi Firebird Studio, and an Xaviere Tele copy with a nice maple top.
Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Reactions: JCH
Cool man!

Thanks Gerg, the neck on this guitar was a nice surprise-its fat and beefy like the 50's Les Paul and it has block inlays instead of the dots.

like the headstock too,noticed on a few kits they look odd,yours don't :)

nice build :)

Thanks for checking it out, cakewalkKaKed. Painting the body and neck the same color makes it much cooler than a clear coat neck.
I've also discovered that a rectangular fender style case fits the Iceman like a glove.:thumbs up: I was afraid I would have to special order a case..

I built a Tele kit a few years back-it had a clear coat neck. Here is a shot of it.

Last edited:
Cool. Looks like a quick and easy kit!!! :)

(I know... nothing with guitars is ever quick and easy)

Cool. Looks like a quick and easy kit!!! :)

(I know... nothing with guitars is ever quick and easy)

Looks can be deceiving, allright! I had a few dings in the body as I transported the kit-luckily I was able to steam the dents out. I believe its an old carpenter's trick but it worked great for me.

I really like the yellow. I don't think I've ever seen a yellow Iceman before. Cool choice.

I was trying to get a T. V. yellow color that Gibson used on the early Les Paul Specials. I used to see Gibsons in this color when I first started playing but they are rare now.

Last edited:
Painting the body and neck the same color makes it much cooler than a clear coat neck.

Yeah, see?? Now you've got me questioning my refinish project. F&ck it, I'm painting the neck to match the body. Thanks Tony!!!

Who makes the kit? I've had several Icemans (Icemen?) in the past, but the newer ones have a different neck on them. It sounds like the kit is more like the original ones for the 70's.

In the picture of it hanging with the other guitars, it looks like the iceman body is the same size as the strat. Is that an illusion, or is the kit body smaller than an Ibanez?

I can't say for sure, Jay-I've never had a chance to play an Iceman till I built this kit. In another forum some people thought the body was smaller but someone with an older Iceman said the size looked like the one he has.
But I'm looking at the Strat and Iceman here in the room and they are about the same size.

Looking at it closely, it is smaller than an ibanez. (Not the IC100, which is the cheapest one, that has a tiny body) It looks like the neck side of the body is about normal size, but the bridge side isn't as big. Either way, an Iceman is bigger than a strat by a pretty big margin. I wish I had a picture of mine next to a strat.

Nah, with the color of the body, it was the right thing to do. I think once I put it back together, a dark body, a dark head and a maple neck wouldn't look good. Problem is, it's so hot down here, the paint is peeling when I apply a clearcoat.

Nah, with the color of the body, it was the right thing to do. I think once I put it back together, a dark body, a dark head and a maple neck wouldn't look good. Problem is, it's so hot down here, the paint is peeling when I apply a clearcoat.

The paint booth at the College was great-it had a filter and exhaust to get the job done quickly. I also had problems with the heat and humidity when I transported the guitar, when I arrived home the paint had pealed off in a few spots and I had to do some paint repair. It was definitely a learning experience.

Back