new prog rock/metal

i finished mixing my newest cd today, and my ears are burnt. i think i hear problems, but i have to step away for awhile and get some outside opinions.

also, i'm experimenting a little with something (i don't want to say what it is because if its being misused, it'll be obvious, and i want to be called out on it without giving anyone ideas), so i'm curious to hear feedback on the overall sound quality.

the 7th song was posted here several months ago, but i put it in order with all the others just for the sake of continuity.

the cd is called "grand unified theory" and the 9 songs that comprise it are at the top of my music page. thanks for listening.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=721637&content=music

Last edited:
Listening to Open Fire on cheap phones at work....
kicks ass like Hell! Very good voice. Nice drumming and guitar work. Gotta listen to the other tracks at home but it sounds good even on cheapo phones.
You rock, Dross!

Joey:):):):)

Listening to Open Fire on cheap phones at work....
kicks ass like Hell! Very good voice. Nice drumming and guitar work. Gotta listen to the other tracks at home but it sounds good even on cheapo phones.
You rock, Dross!

Joey:):):):)

thanks man! it's a huge compliment for you to say "nice guitar work." you're a million times the guitarist i am, and it's not my strongest instrument by a long stretch.

Listened to the first song and I am blown away. For my taste I would brighten up the highs just a Tadd. Good work.

wow, thanks! and i agree--i've been thinking that the whole thing needs a little more high end too. i wanna get various input before i start fixing things, but i'm definitely planning on brightening a touch. thanks again.

definitely weird. I was hoping it would eventually goes somewhere, and it did. interesting piece, I might scrap the intro. Because the song is good and well mixed.

-jD

Just listened to "Open Fire." It rocks. Joey's right, the guitar work is very tight--nice job. I thought the vox could have come up a bit, but I'm listening on cans, so I'm not sure. I'm gonna crank it on the speakers tomorrow! :D

Just damned impressive...

Just listened to "Open Fire." It rocks. Joey's right, the guitar work is very tight--nice job. I thought the vox could have come up a bit, but I'm listening on cans, so I'm not sure. I'm gonna crank it on the speakers tomorrow! :D

Just damned impressive...

thanks man! i actually thought the vox might have been a bit too loud, but i'm notorious for burying my vox, so there's that...

that's the heaviest song on the disc (and probably the heaviest thing i've ever done), and there's a lot of variety on there. i'd be interested to hear your opinion on "identity" if you're so inclined to give it a listen.

again, thanks!

Hey, pretty good. Nice guitar riffs just like the others said.

I think it would sound better if you could make the toms sound a bit more slappier or tighter.

Also, the snare sounds a bit too in your face and a little boxy... put some reverb and that should fix that.

I would bring out the kick just a tad bit. Metal/progressive songs usually need a driving low end rhythm to keep the mood going.

Fantastic Musicianship

I just listened to Open Fire, Identity, and Rotation. First I have to say the performance and composition are fantastic. Really impressive stuff.

As far as the recording, I'd love to hear a meatier kick drum. The tom's sound like they were dampened pretty aggressively - very dry in the mix. IMHO - they sound like they were not being played in the same space as the rest of the instruments (basing this on Rotation).

Other then what I mentioned above I think the mixes are very good. Everything has its own space and seams to gel quite nicely. You have a new fan.

thanks so much guys!

i agree w/ you both on the kick--i'll be remixing gradually and get updated versions up.

i also agree on the snare--it's been very difficult to work with. i'll try adding some reverb and see what happens. i've pretty much done all i can with eq.

toms, not much i can do about. i don't close-mic 'em (stero OHs+kick+snare setup), so they are what they are.

thanks again!

wow, thanks! and i agree--i've been thinking that the whole thing needs a little more high end too. i wanna get various input before i start fixing things, but i'm definitely planning on brightening a touch. thanks again.

Your welcome. Keep us updated with the improvements.

Wow. Gripping music. The vox are a little much for me, but that wouldn't be surprising to you if you compared it to what I customarily listen to. I still found the composition to be quite interesting. I'm sending your music page to my 17 year old (soon to be 18) son. He is a Tool fan, and enjoys several prog rock bands. I really liked the underlying rhythm gutar and drums, and the guitar riffs at the end of the song.

I'm diggin' it. Like the time sig play. Like the mix and recording. Like the challenge you had syncing the triplet thing in the middle of the B part. Not easy to lock on to. Then the vocal comes in...and I can't shut it off fast enough. A nice tight, , slick-sounding, challenging piece of music; then a pile of shit drops on it. I just don't get it.

Guess I'm too old to glom.

I'm diggin' it. Like the time sig play. Like the mix and recording. Like the challenge you had syncing the triplet thing in the middle of the B part. Not easy to lock on to. Then the vocal comes in...and I can't shut it off fast enough. A nice tight, , slick-sounding, challenging piece of music; then a pile of shit drops on it. I just don't get it.

Guess I'm too old to glom.

lol, yeah the cookie monster vox are not popular in these parts, my apologies. you may want to check out some of the other tunes. most of them are instrumental and a couple of them have melodic vox (parallax, windmills).

i'm not a one-trick pony i assure you. hell, "identity" is a piano/strings/drums/bass instrumental, so...

Wow. Gripping music. The vox are a little much for me, but that wouldn't be surprising to you if you compared it to what I customarily listen to. I still found the composition to be quite interesting. I'm sending your music page to my 17 year old (soon to be 18) son. He is a Tool fan, and enjoys several prog rock bands. I really liked the underlying rhythm gutar and drums, and the guitar riffs at the end of the song.

thanks! hope your boy digs it!

Back