New Moderator

ausrock said:
Harvey,

You are "THE MAN" :)

Generally speaking, it is nearly always the same people who find some way to have a little jibe at either Studio Projects or Alan himself and oddly enough those people are by far in the minority here. Some of those same people have been known to be intolerant and offensive to newbies who for whatever reason have not followed normally accepted "net" and BBS etiquette........I didn't see the moderators of those other forums stepping in to control the ensuing shit fights there either. Fact is that moderation of the whole HR.com site is almost non-existant.

Ametth,

Your opinion of RE as moderator, is just that.....YOUR OPINION......and from numerous past comments you have made in regard to Alan, you are in the above mentioned minority.
If you don't approve of the way this forum "runs", I suggest you don't bother to "enter" it...................or was this thread started as another way to generate some anti-Hyatt feeling round here.

:cool:

I'm really not out to get Alan. I just want him to follow the rules, thats it. It's true, the whole HR.com site moderation IS non-existant...and with the way this board is growing, the signal to noise is gonna get alot worse without active moderation. I dont think I'm in the minority on this one, I'm just the guy saying it...there are a few more here that have backed me up on and off the board...some people just dont like confrontation. Either way, I know I'm right wether people agree with me or not.

I was gonna stay way outta this, but what the hell, here goes.

ausrock said:
Fact is that moderation of the whole HR.com site is almost non-existant....

...which is ONE of the MANY reasons why this BBS is ten times cooler than most other ones I've been to on any subject over the past several years! More moderation=blander forum. More moderation=people watching what they say to the point of not bothering. On many moderated boards, ametth would have been banned just for going after the moderator like that! (No more spam to see THEN, eh?) ;)

Lame Thrower's right, things do seem to work pretty well. A free exchange of ideas. Alan says X, Gidge and ametth say "That's spam!", others say "Shut up," still others say "No, YOU shut up." Others will actually talk about mics. :)

If I think Alan is being spammy, I'll ignore it. (I do want to know if the B3 internal shock mounting is any good, though!) If others are annoying me, I ignore them. If the "signal to noise" deteriorates to the point that most posters are irritated, THEN it will be time for action.

Personally, most of the "noise" here is NOT Studio Projected Spam, it's the hordes of useless comments/jokes posted in threads where people are actually asking questions. And a lot of these happen to be funny!

Re: Re: More for me!

heylow said:
Somehow, the best part of Dolemites barbed wit and sarcasm is always the avatar.:D

:D

Lame Thrower said:
Okay, I know I said I was leaving, but this is just rediculous. I say "This conversation is a waste of bandwidth, so I'm leaving." And he says "Ho ho, looks like we're getting some bandwidth back!" and he's some kind of fucking comedic genius?

Hey...I'll fucking take it! ;)

BTW....go Harvey! Look out P. Diddy... :)

esactun said:
I was gonna stay way outta this, but what the hell, here goes.

...which is ONE of the MANY reasons why this BBS is ten times cooler than most other ones I've been to on any subject over the past several years! More moderation=blander forum. More moderation=people watching what they say to the point of not bothering. On many moderated boards, ametth would have been banned just for going after the moderator like that! (No more spam to see THEN, eh?) ;)

Lame Thrower's right, things do seem to work pretty well. A free exchange of ideas. Alan says X, Gidge and ametth say "That's spam!", others say "Shut up," still others say "No, YOU shut up." Others will actually talk about mics. :)

If I think Alan is being spammy, I'll ignore it. (I do want to know if the B3 internal shock mounting is any good, though!) If others are annoying me, I ignore them. If the "signal to noise" deteriorates to the point that most posters are irritated, THEN it will be time for action.

Personally, most of the "noise" here is NOT Studio Projected Spam, it's the hordes of useless comments/jokes posted in threads where people are actually asking questions. And a lot of these happen to be funny!

Ok, following your logic.....people who murder other people annoy me...next time I see someone murdering another person, I'll just ignore it and not do anything...because it annoys me. This example may be a little extreme...but do you follow? I'm done.

I don't post here very often but I lurk a lot. One thing I wish the moderators would do is make sure that threads are put in the proper forums. It seems to me like a lot of discussions end up in the Microphones forum that belong elsewhere. Just the other day there was a thread about monitors. What's that doing in the Microphone forum? It seems like that should be moved to the Mixing & Mastering forum, since the description for that forum says something about monitors in it. I also happen to think that threads about Mic Pre's belong in The Rack but I see room for debate there.

I think sonusman was trying to make a point similar to this when he went on that hilarious tirade a while back.

I don't think it's necessarily important for the moderator to be more knowledgeable about the topic than anybody else. Someone who's able to check up on the forum frequently, deal with spam, deal with trolls, and move misplaced threads into the proper forums would be great, even if they're not a mic guru. I think Harvey's contributions are perfect just the way they are and I wouldn't want him to be saddled with a bunch of hum-drum spam-deleting duties, it would take time away from his informative posts.

That's just my $.02.

ametth said:
Ok, following your logic.....people who murder other people annoy me...next time I see someone murdering another person, I'll just ignore it and not do anything...because it annoys me. This example may be a little extreme...but do you follow? I'm done.

You're comparing Alan's posts to MURDER? :confused:

You need to switch to decaf. :D

BTW, I *do* think *some* of Alan's posts *may* constitute spam. I just don't worry about it so much, it's not so ever-present. I also *don't* think it's a *crime*. Other of his posts are great, and I'm glad he's here.

Whenever one watches TV, they get "spammed"... read the newspaper or a magazine, yoiu get "spammed".... read a Web page and it takes forever to load cuz of all the SPAM on the page! Ignore it (or, for the latter example, get the free version of AdsOff!). Spam is a part of life. Here, if it clogs the servers or obliterates all the actual talk about recording, then pragmatism demands something else.

If those one-post "Who's got the B1??" newbies can be traced to Alan, then *that's* a problem. One shouldn't have multiple aliases on the same BBS anyway.

Y'all seem to think that a C-1000's good,
Well, maybe where you are, but not in my 'hood.
Yeah, I like Marshalls, and Alan's stuff's a hit,
But some of the other mics just sound like pure shit.

i think i just pee'd my pants laughing from reading that line....!!!

roflmao!!!:D

Herman P Willis said:
I don't post here very often but I lurk a lot. One thing I wish the moderators would do is make sure that threads are put in the proper forums. It seems to me like a lot of discussions end up in the Microphones forum that belong elsewhere. Just the other day there was a thread about monitors. What's that doing in the Microphone forum? It seems like that should be moved to the Mixing & Mastering forum, since the description for that forum says something about monitors in it. I also happen to think that threads about Mic Pre's belong in The Rack but I see room for debate there.

I think sonusman was trying to make a point similar to this when he went on that hilarious tirade a while back.

I don't think it's necessarily important for the moderator to be more knowledgeable about the topic than anybody else. Someone who's able to check up on the forum frequently, deal with spam, deal with trolls, and move misplaced threads into the proper forums would be great, even if they're not a mic guru. I think Harvey's contributions are perfect just the way they are and I wouldn't want him to be saddled with a bunch of hum-drum spam-deleting duties, it would take time away from his informative posts.

That's just my $.02.

Totally agreed. I could not have said it better myself!!

Herman P Willis said:

Indeed!

And look where that got us! Sonusman hasn't even posted since 4/25...hasn't moved MP3 posts out of his own forum (posts that have been brought to his attention, BTW).

That's just my $.02.

Well said!

Tom Hicks said:
This line ALWAYS gets mis-quoted.Watch the movie again.Bogie asks the bandito to show him the police badge and he says...
"Badges?We don't need stinkin' badges!" as he draws his gun and starts the shootout.

This is second only to "Play it again.Sam..." which is actually "Play it,Sam.You played it for her and you can play it for me..."

trivially yours
Tom (the movie buff) Hicks

p.s. please continue and pardon the interruption

Not to mention "Luke, I am your father". He just says "I am your father", dammit!

Re: Re: Re: More for me!

Lame Thrower said:

You guys are a pair of marginally literate ass clowns.

What....

I can read!

:D
heylow

PS It wasnt that quote specificly, BTW. It's more his usual tone in every post. Comedic...yes. Genious? Wellllll.....comedic at least:D

Whoopysnorp said:

Not to mention "Luke, I am your father". He just says "I am your father", dammit!

Help me, Obi-Moderator, you're our only hope <fzzzt>
Help me, Obi-Moderator, you're our only hope <fzzzt>.......

:D :p :) :p :D

QUOTE:......

"I'm really not out to get Alan. "

Not a definitive comment.......can still be interpreted in the affirmative.

"I just want him to follow the rules, thats it. "

Who's rules?....... Dragon was well aware of the perceived "spam" controversy long ago and chose not to act on it, so personally I can only interpret that as meaning that our "fearless leader" didn't consider Alan's posts "spammish" enough to warrant action.

"I dont think I'm in the minority on this one, ........................there are a few more here that have backed me up "

Even considering only the number of "active" members here, I don't think, I KNOW, that "a few" is definitely in the minority.

"Either way, I know I'm right wether people agree with me or not."

This is a kind of scary attitude............go think about it.

Only recently Dragon "promised" some changes for the site, including new moderators............so far, for some reason, this hasn't eventuated, BUT what really worries me is that when people start threads like this one, that ultimately Dragon may just say..........."Fuck It! You can't please all of the people, all of the time, so why bother. It has all become too difficult"..............and consequently let the site disappear into oblivion. Where will we be if that happens?

Back