New Moderator

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
I dont know what's in the works for a new moderator in this forum. But I would love to see Harvey take the job. He's knows what the hell he's talking about, and he's a nice guy to boot!! All in favour? Say "AY"....

If Weston Ray (a.k.a. "Recording Engineer") is voluntarily leaving his position as moderator, then I say "YES" to Harvey... he's the obvious choice.

But if this is wishful thinking or a mutiny of some sort, I want no part of it.

As flattered as I am by your proposal, I would decline the position. I feel that I can be of the most value by simply contributing my experience to this forum, but I wouldn't relish the job of moderating anything. (I'm not going to be moderating the recording.org forum anymore, either.)

For example, I wouldn't have deleted Alan's response about the sonic properties of his new B series, since he's the only person to have heard them so far, and I trust his opinion as an engineer, although it must be tempered by his obvious stake in the success of these microphones. And I would certainly have cut the Stephen Paul thread short.

About the only thing I would do if I were a moderator here, would be to remove all those "Harvey Rules!" posts and all the bump stuff in the big thread to make it easier to read.

It's also hard for me to remain strictly neutral, since I count a lot of people as friends who are involved with microphone design and manufacturing, such as: Stephen Paul, Alan Hyatt (SP), Brent Casey (MXL), David Satz (Schoeps), Karl Winkler (Neumann, Sennheiser), Taylor Johnson (Oktava, T.H.E.), Carl Brauner(Brauner), Wes Dooley (AEA), Scott Dorsey, and Stephen Sank (RCA re-builds).

As a result of these friendships, I'm privy to a lot of internal information about some of these products, and future products, which I can't share here, since I was told in confidence.

As a person who's designed a couple of mics, I recognize the difficulty in actually coming out with new products, and I applaud all these manufacturer's efforts. I also try not to put anybody down, although I will state my opinion when I feel someone is putting out what I consider to be a below par product.

As a moderator, I would feel that I would have to show more of a neutral attitude on a lot of subjects that come up here. Being just a member here, I can voice my opinion, and have people recognize it's just that - my opinion.

To me, being a moderator is like wearing a badge. And that always reminds me of that wonderful scene in Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles":

"Badges? BADGES? We don' need no stinkin' badges!"

If my evaluations about certain microphones match other people's evaluations about the same microphones, then perhaps my findings on unfamiliar microphones will be of some use to people here. I don't need a badge to do that already.

Thanks for the nomination, but no thanks.

I kinda figured that's what you would say...hehe

Why would you remove the "Harvey Rules!" posts!! You do rule!!!

Kidding aside, I would not remove any informative posts by Alan either, but I would the spam...and there is some.

I dont think as moderator you have to have a netural opinion, lord knows that other moderators on other forums dont.

As moderator, it would be cool to slim down the big thread and make it stick at the top....but we dont have an active moderator here, so it wont get done.

I have the greatest respect for you Harvey and totally understand your position.

Cheers!

Harvey is living proof of why the smartest, best-qualified, and classiest people never run for elective office... because it keeps their integrity intact. ;)

I'm just touched he assumes we're all too young to know about "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", and the scene Mel was spoofing. For those who are, Humphrey Bogart is being shaken down by some bandidos passing themselves off as La Policia. When Bogie demands to see their badges, the hot-headed bandido leader utters the immortal line and...ahem, things degenerate from there.
-kent

I do not think that a new moderator is neccessary.I think RE does a fine job at knowing when not to step in.We do not need some Nazi to remove post that in a few peoples opinions constitute spam.

Harvey,I'm sorry that I keep bumping that thread back to the top,it just makes it easier for people to find.But bottom line it is YOUR fault for writting such a great thread!!

I ain't going to say that Harvey rules.:D

Randy Yell said:
I do not think that a new moderator is neccessary.I think RE does a fine job at knowing when not to step in.We do not need some Nazi to remove post that in a few peoples opinions constitute spam.

Harvey,I'm sorry that I keep bumping that thread back to the top,it just makes it easier for people to find.But bottom line it is YOUR fault for writting such a great thread!!

I ain't going to say that Harvey rules.:D

RE is non existent on this board. How can you say he's doing a great job? please!!...

That thread is an epic thread, it's the most informative thread I've ever seen on this board. If we had a moderator who cared, it would be at the top as an 'announcment' or a 'sticky'. But we dont, so be it.

Ammeth,you seem to be a nice enough guy and I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you.We just don't agree on this thing so let's agree to disagree and move on.Peace.

I'd have to say that RE does a pretty good job. Most of the time he is invisible, but when something needs doing, he does it. Maybe people think he is non existant because he doesn't post much.

Plus he is from Orangevale, and us Orangevalians have to stick together.

Beware the Citrus Heights Sphere of Influence!

P.S. Harvey would be cool if he weren't so damn power-hungry.

Lame Thrower said:
I'd have to say that RE does a pretty good job. Most of the time he is invisible, but when something needs doing, he does it. Maybe people think he is non existant because he doesn't post much.

OK, name the last time he did something.

Right. That's what I thought.

:rolleyes:

P.S. Harvey would be cool if he weren't so damn power-hungry.

LOL! WTF...I don't think Harvey has ever struck me as power hungry.

While its great to have the pro's we have on this BBS, I think we've seen quite clearly that the experts don't necessarily make the best moderators.

Alan Hyatt for modeator.:D

I know he'd get at least three votes: Gidge, C7sus, and mine.:D

Actually, I'm fine with the way Weston moderates. I don't see any need for a more visible "hands on" moderator.

OK, name the last time he did something.

Generally, the folks here are pretty well behaved; However, at some point in the last couple months, someone came through here spamming, and RE told them in no uncertain terms to take it somewhere else.

Right. That's what I thought.

You know where you can stick that, smart guy.

Can you point to something specific that he let slide and shouldn't have? I'll wait for your answer instead of coming of like a condescending jerk.

LOL! WTF...I don't think Harvey has ever struck me as power hungry.

Sarcasm, Dolemite. Dolemite, Sarcasm. I'm glad it got a "LOL" at least.

Have you all seen some of the ugly wild west like threads this forum has been producing lately?

There needs to be a new Sheriff in town, I nominate Buck62.:cool:

This line ALWAYS gets mis-quoted.Watch the movie again.Bogie asks the bandito to show him the police badge and he says...
"Badges?We don't need stinkin' badges!" as he draws his gun and starts the shootout.

This is second only to "Play it again.Sam..." which is actually "Play it,Sam.You played it for her and you can play it for me..."

trivially yours
Tom (the movie buff) Hicks

p.s. please continue and pardon the interruption

Back