New Mixer For Tascam 388

Mark7

The one in my 388 is irreparably broken but the tape section is fine, so I need some recommendations for mixers that can handle 8 busses and are easy to find on the second hand market.

Well a much better mixer is the M50 and that would make for a much larger foot print. The M512 is about the same as a M50 except for a couple of master pots that were changed. Either way the M500 mixers will be needed to get the 8 buses you need but do you really need 8 busses? Maybe a M320 will work?

The other big difference between the M-50 and the M-500 series is the M-50 uses 60mm short-throw faders and the M-500 utilizes 100mm long-throw type. Also the “BALANCE AMP” section on the M-50 is only 2-channel, but features a discrete complimentary pair transistor output stage powered by +/-35V power rails…really high headroom. The M-500 has an 8-channel BALANCE AMP section but it is powered by more garden variety +/-18V. Still a good little balance amp, but the M-50’s is unique among the entire Teac lineup.

I don't recall the longer faders on the M512 but if they are then they are still ALPs type and not Penny and Giles like on real equipment. The longer carbon trace that you have with a longer fader makes for easier damage to them. If you have those then better get some back up pieces.
Some things were done to give you the illusion of a 100mm fader without actually providing one. They do not work the same.

Right. The M-500 series were fitted with 100mm faders. Standard equipment was the not-so-great but typical low profile assembly with the horizontal carbon element. But you’ll find many with the high profile larger faders with conductive plastic. No, still not P&G, but at least vertical, conductive plastic, and somewhat more serviceable. I think they sound better. I don’t know if this was an option or if they switched to using the better assemblies somewhere along the way. I find the same is true of the M-300 series.

Back