new microphone or mic pre

nativeballa_30

Howz it going i have a few questions. Well im using project mix i/0 with a rode nt1-a microphone. I've had this setup for almost year now. I was just wanting peoples opinion on whether i should get a new microphone or a mic preamp. I planned on buying the m-audio octane preamp. So my question should i purchase this preamp or does anybody recommend another preamp or buy a new microphone around the same price of the octane preamp. I'm lookin to spend about $600 or so. By the way i record r&b and hip-hop vocals. Any help is appreciated thanx.

www.myspace.com/jaspakings1

Do you really need 8 channels of preamps just for vocals? :confused:

Why aren't you satisfied with your current chain? What are you trying to achieve by buying more gear?

And do you mainly record yourself or lots of other people? If you record others you could get a mic with a different character to what you already have.

I think if you have an OK recording chain already then there's not much point in upgrading unless you're really taking it to the next level. For a vocal chain that would mean high quality A-D conversion, preamp and mic.

I've always found dribs and drabs upgrades to be unsatisfying and ultimately very expensive.

AT4060, can be had for around $600 used. Great mic.

How's your acoustic space? Not nearly as fun as buying a new mic/preamp, but will make a bigger difference than any mic or preamp, and will make the differences between mics and preamps more noticeable.

I agree with the gold channel approach, especially in your situation. Usually it makes the most sense to do it signal flow order; mic - preamp- converters. But definitely listen to Mikey's advice about the recording space. If that ain't good, nothing is.

Back