New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Also watch out for Shure SM58's online ... been seeing some discussion recently on Reddit about counterfeits
YES....YES....there are TONS of SM58 fakes out there....especially on Ebay. For the cost of a new original....it's not worth cheaping out on this most important item in your studio. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Saides, you might also look at Reaper. While Audacity is free and good for quick and dirty edits, Reaper is much more capable as a full fledged DAW. It's a 1 time purchase of $60, and that covers 2 full versions. Currently at 6.77, you would be covered through 7.9999 which is probably about 3-4yrs away. V6 started in 2019. Plus it will continue to work even after V8.0 hits, I'm still running 5.99 happily on a Win10 4th Gen Core I5 system with no problems.

Also, there is excellent tutorial support on Youtube with Reaper Mania.

It's free to try for 60 days, and will continue to operate with just a nag screen upon startup after that point.
All good Rich but I have always had the impression that Audacity was in fact a very GOOD editor? That being the main reason it was developed. I agree Reaper is a vastly more useful DAW.

Dave.

All good Rich but I have always had the impression that Audacity was in fact a very GOOD editor? That being the main reason it was developed. I agree Reaper is a vastly more useful DAW.

Dave.

Audacity is a great editor, for what it does. I use it all the time, but it's like comparing MS paint to Photoshop (actually I prefer IrfanView to MS Paint, but it's still not as good a a full fledged photo editor).

What I was illustrating was that sometimes people take a quick and easy means of accomplishing a task, but cause other problems in the process. Both the examples were done in Audacity. It's just that one gives a better result.

I am 75 years old and have been playing guitar since 1957. I began recording in about 1959 (Christmas gift) with a Voice Of Music 1/4" stereo reel to reel recorder. It was the first to be able to do sound on sound. You could play and record on one of the stereo tracks and then play and record on the other track while listening to the first track. Pretty amazing at the time since stereo itself was a very new thing. A long way from where we are now with home recording. I did do a lot of recording of my old garage bands back then.
Voice Of Music 722 Tape Recorder.jpg

Welcome Caddy65. I used 'separates' cassette decks for recording initially. I found that by disconnecting the erase head you could imprint a new recording on top of a previous recording. A very rough and ready mixing scheme. Things have come a long way.

Hi, I am here because I like recording my own music and thought it would be great to get tips and chat to other like minded people. I am from East London/Essex in England. My loves are music and dogs and I have a beautiful Rottweiler girl, my love! She is nearly twelve now.

I play guitar, drums and write my own stuff and first recorded with a friend of mine back in '92 who had a 4 track Fostex. Then, I had a 4 track Tascam Porta One but the band kept coming off. In October 2019, I was talking to my old friend who I used to record with in '92 and he suggested getting myself a cheap acoustic. Well, that was it. I bought a six string electric Ibanez, a 12 string Danelectro, a Zoom R8, then a Rode microphone. I started recording just before the pandemic started and recorded all through lockdown, all my own material. Some songs were recent, some I had written about 20 years ago. I called my album Lockdown Blues and it started with the title track of the same name. The friend I recorded with in '92 added the bass remotely for me. I'm a novice with recording and mixing and still have lots to learn. Same with writing and recording but the main thing is, it's fun and I enjoy it.

After that, I also bought a Tascam DP32 and a Yamaha keyboard. I can't play keys but I could pick bits out to add to my recordings hopefully.
I am mostly into rock/indie/60s music and some of my favourite bands are The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Doors and Love. More modern music favourites are Kings of Leon, Kula Shaker, Oasis and The Foo Fighters.

Welcome Blue Wolf. Looks like you're a veteran already. The only way to get good is to do lots of recording. You have a good set of skills there.

I am 75 years old and have been playing guitar since 1957. I began recording in about 1959 (Christmas gift) with a Voice Of Music 1/4" stereo reel to reel recorder. It was the first to be able to do sound on sound. You could play and record on one of the stereo tracks and then play and record on the other track while listening to the first track. Pretty amazing at the time since stereo itself was a very new thing. A long way from where we are now with home recording. I did do a lot of recording of my old garage bands back then.
View attachment 127094
Hi Caddy65, Those tape machines make me a bit nostalgic! I'm kind of new here also, but welcome! These guys are all great and very helpful!

Hello everybody!!
My name is Patrick (Artistname: Kreisläufer)
I've been making music intermittently for many years. I come from Germany.
My style of music is minimal house, electronic, deep house and everything in between.
I am happy to be here to meet new people and ideally to learn from each other.

viele Grüße

Patrick

Not sure how old this site is or if anyone's listening, but here goes...

Dabbled for many years in my teens with home recording. Time flies and now in my 50/60 s I've returned to try again.

Managed to get hold of an old DP-01FX but don't know where to start. If anyone has any idiots guide I would much appreciate. I just want to get tracks out of my head and work on them. Nothing pro.... The DP-01FX has an old 40gb disk drive. It this upgradeable to a new SSD. I would imagine this may improve quality. Where is operating system stored? I.e. would a drive change need software mirroring. Could this be done via pc/laptop disc mirroring software?

A guide to a simple step by step workable setup would be gratefully received. I am new born in terms of newbies. Ma last experience was with analogue reel to real and cassette decks (Yep I'm a dinosaur 🦕).

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Last edited:
Not sure how old this site is or if anyone's listening, but here goes...

Dabbled for many years in my teens with home recording. Time flies and now in my 50/60 s I've returned to try again.

Managed to get hold of an old DP-01FX but don't know where to start. If anyone has any idiots guide I would much appreciate. I just want to get tracks out of my head and work on them. Nothing pro.... The DP-01FX has an old 40gb disk drive. It this upgradeable to a new SSD. I would imagine this may improve quality. Where is operating system stored? I.e. would a drive change need software mirroring. Could this be done via pc/laptop disc mirroring software?

A guide to a simple step by step workable setup would be gratefully received. I am new born in terms of newbies. Ma last experience was with analogue reel to real and cassette decks (Yep I'm a dinosaur 🦕).

Any help or guidance much appreciated.
Hello and welcome. I know nothing of the DP-01FX but have had a skim of the manual (thank you Spantini !) and a couple of basic points arose. First off, the recorder 'stops' at the XP OS so the first thing to try is to see if you can move .wav files to your computer which I guess is Windows 10? I would think this is possible since the Tascam needs no drivers and appears simply as a "mass storage device" like a USB stick. Do heed the warnings about NOT changing file names!

There is zero chance IMHO that you could fit an SSD and in any case, though very desirable, even vital for W10+ SSDs will give no improvement in "quality" whatever you meant by that, they simply speed things up such as startup and file loading plus they run cooler and are of course silent. Having moved your songs, as you go, I suggest you run them in music software (called a "DAW") for further mixing and treatment thus weaning yourself off the DP because I am sure you are going to need to do that one day.

I don't know if you have any microphones nor how good the mic preamps are on the DP but if you are coming from tape you will be used to a bit of hiss!

Someone will likely be along soon who is well versed on the DP-01FX. Best of luck.

Dave.

Former small Studio Owner in the 80's, former friend of Leo (during his G&L days)
former "road guy" long since retired, but still breathing and generally wearing a smile... 8-)

Back