New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi everyone. During this time of house arrest I've dusted off my gear and started to get back into playing. I have a Jackson strat and the only identifying number is "1213" on the back plate. I'm using a Roland Mini Cube and looking for a good audio interface to get into the computer.

Newbster

Hi folks, I’m a newbie to this forum obviously... I’m looking for some advice.
I’ve been been recording on various formats for the last 25 years. I’m a guitarist, bassist and singer with the odd bit of drums and keyboard thrown in where needed.

Hope to pick some of your brains

Cheers for the add

Hey all

My name is Dylan and I have been a musician for a long time. Play drums, bass, guitar. Most recently got into production/mixing for my own projects. Hope to learn lots and connect with some others! Have some music on youtube but a lot is archived in my Ableton library!

Always looking to learn techniques to make my mixes solid.

Hey all
I'm Cody, just joined the crew to talk/learn more about home recording. I've been doing it off/on for years, but I have a lot left to learn.
I live primarily in Logic Pro; learned what I know in Garageband and then graduated to Logic, and I love it.
I plan on posting a lot in hopes to receive some guidance, suggestions, and knowledge for improving my setup and recording quality.

Hope all is well with everyone
Stay safe!!

Hi there, my name is Nicolas, i'm a recording enthusiast from Argentina.
Im in a band called Telegénesis , we record our first Lp in my home studio.
regards

Hi folks, I’m a newbie to this forum obviously... I’m looking for some advice.
I’ve been been recording on various formats for the last 25 years. I’m a guitarist, bassist and singer with the odd bit of drums and keyboard thrown in where needed.

Hope to pick some of your brains

Cheers for the add

Hi Mooky69 and welcome. "The odd bit of drums" is the phrase that is going to potentially cost and complicate your proposed setup. As I understand things, you cannot make a very good recording of a full drum kit with fewer than 4 microphones. Four mics, stands and cables is on its own going to set you back a decent wedge, if you went for THE cheapest dynamics around plus cheap stands and cables you could not get out from under $200 or so.

Then you need to get the 4 mics into an Audio Interface, another $200 for the cheapest 4mic input AI and after that, sky's the limit.

If we forget the 'kitchen' dept for a mo' for vocals and keys I suggest an AI with two mic inputs but also two 'line' inputs to take the keyboard's output. There are many such AIs around. Really basic but pretty good is the Behringer UMC 204HD which also has MIDI I/O. A good step up from that is the Native Instruments KA6. Focusrite, Tascam, MOTU and many others have products in this format.

There is another way to include the drums. Get a 2 mic+2 lines AI as suggested above but also a small mixer. This COULD just have two mic ins and thus, with the AI you have your 4 mic inputs. However, a mixer with 4 mic channels will not cost a lot more and you would then have a 6 mic capability. NB in the latter case the 4 mics would be mixed down to a stereo pair of channels for recording.

Then! You will need headphones, ideally a 'closed back' set and an open backed set, the latter giving better sound quality. Monitor speakers but here you might like to catch your breath! Anything decent is going to be AS much as the cost as the rest of the kits so far suggested.

If my ramblings have put you off a bit I am not that sorry. You see many people come here and say "I have just bought this interface with one mic input because I want to record the symphony I have written" OR they have a single USB mic and want to make a demo of a 6 piece band!

Compared to other pastimes/hobbys, home recording is not an expensive exercise, at least not to gather some very capable equipment but you DO need to spend a decent wedge to get good results. So, read, learn, ask and above all come back here BEFORE you buy anything!

Dave.

Hi everyone. During this time of house arrest I've dusted off my gear and started to get back into playing. I have a Jackson strat and the only identifying number is "1213" on the back plate. I'm using a Roland Mini Cube and looking for a good audio interface to get into the computer.

What is your proposed recording technique Brian? I can think of three ways OTTOMH. Most commonly a mic affront the Cube* into an interface.
Next a 'line' output from the amp into a line input on the AI.
Thirdly, split the guitar signal and feed the amp with one split and the High Impedance (aka 'Z') on an interface.
You can also use various combinations of these techniques. Do you want to sing and play?

You say a "good" interface. I shall still suggest the Native Instruments KA6 but go for AT LEAST two mic inputs and if you can 2 mics plus two line inputs as thus adds flexibility and 'future proofing'. I REALLY like the look of the new MOTU M4!

You will need a microphone, maybe two and you cannot go wrong for amp grabbing and scratch vocals with the Shure SM57/58 but if cost is an issue there are now some very acceptable dynamic mics about at a third the price and a Behringer XM8500 at £20 or so that is remarkable for the money.

As I said to Mooky a bit ago. Look, learn but ASK before parting with the ill gotten!

*Google keeps giving me the MICRO cube! So I don't atmo have any specs for the mini.

Dave.

Hey there. I'm a hobbyist guitarist and violinist. Been playing guitar for 12~ years and violin for about 3. Ever since the beginning of my hobby I've liked to record my own stuff with poor equipment and even poorer playing, mostly focusing on video game covers and classical nylon guitar.

Currently I'm using a t.bone SC 400 microphone with Alesis Multimix 4USB, so very much budget hardware. For electric guitar I have one of the old Line 6 Toneport GX interfaces with Guitar Rig, and am currently considering something like the Toneport for playing/recording silent electric violin as I'm locked into my apartment and unable to play an acoustic violin without a mute.

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:

Hello... is it on? is this working?

1.. 2..
1.. 2..

Hello, I am Robin. I have been recording as an amateur since 1982 with a Tascam portasudio, and actually prior to that with a couple of back to back cassette players.

Now, after a career that had nothing to do with music, I am building my ideal studio with a view to recording all these songs that I wrote.

For I am more of a songwriter than a recordist, and prefer live performance.

Hello! I am new to this forum, nice to meet everybody. Writing you from my property in Germany. I've been a music fan since I was little, later learned how to play guitare and piano. Nowadays I perform in local bars when I have opportunity.

my name is adam. touring musician for a long time. done a few studio sessions. used to do home recordings on a four track and am now trying to set up a proper home studio.

Back