New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Greetings Everybody! I'm Jay, play western swing music mostly here in Albuquerque, and am responsible for outfitting the band's new recording space. I'm already over my head but looking forward to understanding terms like "latency" (apparently bad)...glad to be on board

Hi everybody, i have been playing guitar for almost 15 years now, played in a lot of bands (mostly metal), played a lot of shows. Currently i dont`t play in any band, but i am recording demos for my first album right now :)

Hello everyone, my friend and I are getting into music production and recording... Using Presonus Studio One 3 Artist currently... Hoping to upgrade soon :)

Hello. I'm from the Boston MA USA area and I'm just getting started in home recording. I'm in my 50's so I'm not looking to become a rock star at this age. I have a story to tell and rather than writing a book, which I know nothing about, I'm going to tell the story through music.

I started playing guitar in 2000 and played for a few years but gave it up after getting ill and sold most of my gear. At the time I was just playing other peoples music but this time I'm not interested in that. I'm slowly accumulating some gear and I'm close to having what I need to do some basic recording. I have some questions, one of which needs attention sooner than later, and will make sure I read as much of the existing threads as I can before duplicating questions. The one immediate need might require an answer to a question that has no doubt been asked many times in different forms but it's pretty important. I'll ask in the appropriate thread.

Thanks.

Hey, All. I have posted a few times already but figured I'd introduce myself anyway. My real name is Josh. I am from Central Michigan; the Mount Pleasant area.

I am currently 19 years old, and am pursuing a career in optometry, with the hopes of maybe pursuing a career as a touring/recording musician. Don't knock me down. Just let me dream. ;)

My "genre" (if I have one) is Christian Rock, though I can appreciate anything from fusion jazz to heavy metal. My heaviest influences are Michael Card, Michael Kelly Blanchard, Skillet, and Lacey Sturm. My primary instrument is the drumset. I am also gaining talent with the guitar, I play a little bit of piano, and I sing. All my work is original.

I am ALWAYS open for collaborations with people. I'm currently looking for someone who would like to do synth for me. I've found it to be quite the headache.

I'm also looking for someone to co-write a song with me. Please contact me if you are interested.

Anyway. That's me. Now you know everything about me that I'm willing to let just anyone know.

Btw, I love this forum. And the guy with the username gecko-something is an awesome help.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, my first album is hopefully coming out next summer.

Last edited:
Hi
I'm Dave from Tyneside, North East England. Play a bit of guitar, sing a bit, write a bit now looking to record some of my songs at home. Trying to get a handle on the Reason Limited I got, finding it harder thank I thought so hoping there's someone around here to give guidance :-)
Cheers guys!

Hello, I'm Janish, from Mumbai, India. Bedroom Producer. Brought up an insane love for producing over last couple of years and I want to learn more about it , infact everything about it.

I have just signed in to this website today 20th July 2015 because I have one specific question. It is to do with my Tascam DP-03 digital recording machine. A year ago I used it and created one CD with 12 of my songs, and burned a Cd successfully. Now I have recorded another two songs recently created, but two is not a big enough number to make a whole CD, but I do want to get these two songs from my Tascam DP-03 into my computer. But how? It seems to me there are 3 possible methods (a) burn a disc but with only 2 songs, then put the disc into the computer. I'd prefer not to do all that unless I absolutely have to. (b) transfer the two songs using a wire from Tascam to computer (just like when transferring photos from a digital camera to computer, (c) get the songs to go into the SD sim card in the side of the Tascam then take the card out and slot it into the side of the computer. I have tried method b and c without success. Each time I use the wire (usb cable...is that what it's called?) or transfer the card, I click the computer to see what has arrived but whatever has arrived is empty! Advice would be appreciated.

Hey there!

17 years in music and I have hardly any experience in recording. However, I'm here to learn and also to improve my voice, the instrument I've neglected far too much.

In fact, I'm so passionate about it that I've created a website called MusicMunch - Devouring. Sharing. Improving. Together. How badly do you want to improve your singing? If it's a priority, let's connect!

Cheers,
Harrison

Hi, I'm GJLaird and I am a newbee. (Why do I feel like I'm at an AA meeting?) I'm learning voice over and home recording. I have been using Audacity and I want to switch to Reaper. I am an old guy, but as an electrical engineer I'm okay with technology. I feel like Reaper would be a major step upward in my recording, editing, etc. but I think the instruction I see covers a lot that I don't need, at least not now - things like midi, and mixing music with many tracks. Can anyone direct me to basic training in Reaper for voice over? I have seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXa1pHCu9U and this was very helpful, but I think I need something that takes a newbee carefully through Reaper and the voice over recording, editing, effects, rendering processes.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi from Canada

Hi all, trying out Reaper on the recommendation of SpectreSoundStudios on YouTube. I'm a fifty-something guy looking to do some basic recordings of my band and composing and producing some demos of original songs for personal use. Had just started learning Garageband and picking up some stuff for a low end home studio when the maniac from SpectreSoundStudios who I find quite entertaining and enlightening endorsed Reaper and I thought I would give it a try. While Garageband probably could meet my present needs, I felt that if I am learning digital recording from the start, that I might want to explore something with more long-term potential.

Greetings all,
I just dropped in to see what condition I'm in and learn about home recording. I setting up a small studio using PreSonus Studio One 3 as the DAW to record mostly acoustic guitar and vocals. But there isn't a lot of information for it so I decided to gather an overview of audio basics from all of you with much more expertise than I. Thanks for all your input in advance.

Hello everybody. Name is Shawn, and I joined to talked about a lot of different recording and production topics. My biggest passion is my DIY stage (hence EvangelSTAGE name), which I will eventually start a thread on to explain its construction (Studio Construction thread?). I am also really experimenting with FREE VST software. If you are home recording, VST has to be in your vocabulary, at least in my humble opinion. I have done a lot of different home recording projects, all trying to use free stuff. I play several instruments and my music focus is exclusively praise and worship. It is nice to meet you all.

Shawn

My name is Mark and I'm an alcoholic - Oops wrong thread... I am a new Tascam DP-008EX user, playing guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, harmonica, cajon, drum machine and vocals - good job there's 8 tracks. I also am a Adobe Audition user as I have Adobe CC. I look forward to making myself a pain in the rear asking stupid questions for no good reason - eg Why do fools fall in love?

New Member from Western NY

Hello,

I'm John M. from the Buffalo, NY area (East Aurora). I am a family man (3 little ones - this is priority #1) and have been playing keyboards (mostly B-3 organ) since age 8. When I was younger I used to gig.

I am a "deadhead" although you would never know by looking at me. I've seen Jerry Garcia w/ the Grateful Dead and the Jerry Garcia Band probably in the 150-200+ times. I played in 2 different dead tribute bands...one in Buffalo called "Sonic Garden" in the late 80's, early 90's and then again with Crazyfingers (when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale) for about a year before I moved. In the first band I used to actually take around a C-3 and 2 leslies (crazy I know eh?) but back then clonewheels were no where near what they are today.

I also played piano & synths with a Prophet VS, a Roland A-90ex, (and some older ones I don't even remember the names- memory start to go at about 45 LOL...omg I have a birthday coming up in 4 days...ugh.).

On the dead thing....when Brent died I stopped seeing the dead (I was not a Vince fan). But then missed it and came back just in time to catch about 20 shows before Jerry died. I saw the last 3 Brent shows and ironically the last 3 Jerry shows in the same place (Chicago's Soldier field). So it was almost a must that I had to attend the 50th "last" shows in Chicago (which I thought were excellent!).

Besides the dead, I enjoy playing Gospel, Jazz, Rock, Country, etc. (basically anything that has organ and/or piano or Rhodes EP).

I keep a mint cherrywood B-3 w/ matching PR-40 tonecabinet (birth certificates and all!) plus a 147 and a 45 (modified to 145) in my home studio and play it everyday. I still have the A-90ex, (I have a story behind that one but I'll save that for another time). I recently acquired a Kurzweil Midiboard (with the "made in Japan" keys!) and also now have a Crumar DMC-122 (I had a Crumar Mojo for a while too, but opted for the controller route since I'm not gigging). For sound I have a Centerpoint SpaceStation V3 (amazing!) and a B1200D sub.

I've been going through mixers like water (meaning I keep buying and selling them because I haven't found "the right one" yet. This is why I've joined this forum - to hopefully solve that issue.) I need to find the "best" mixer that can do both "Live Sound" for zero-latency monitor'ing, playing, as well as recording to my DAW via USB (sorry I don't mess with Firewire).

For my DAW, I've been going back and forth between Cubase, Tracktion6, and Ableton Live - as well as Cantible Performer when I'm not recording. I had Mackie's (ProFX v2), Focusrite, and am now looking into 2 mixers (Allen & Heath MixWizard WZ4 16:2 with the USB card for multi-channel recording, and the new Soundcraft Signature 12 (or 22) MTK ). I want to be able to record multiple tracks and not just Stero L/R. I use both Analog devices and VST's - plus I mic my Leslies for recording purposes.

I think I covered just about everything! I look forward to meeting the people on this forum and trying to help out where I can, but unfortunately I'll probably be the one needing help - at least in the beginning. Anyways it's great to have a place to connect with others on this topic! Thank you!

Best Regards,
John

P.S. I also am an avid Steelhead fisherman (Centerpin convert for the last 5 years). But have fly-fished my entire life. Fishing is my second favorite pastime besides music (well I guess its a tossup...just depending on whether I'm spending the day inside or outside). I also an expert SysAdmin for both Windows and Linux as well as a smartphone advanced user (unlocking boot loaders, rooting, that kind of thing)....and I.T. / Voice over IP (VoIP) being my third pastime. VoIP is my my current business thing (i.e. it's what I do to make money to do the things I love - although I actually love my job because I get to work on the computer all day). I used to program, but was never formally trained, so although I can code, I'm better at letting the experts do it (outsource) and then at least I can understand what's going on. Lastly, I like to camp (RV style - my wife and kids don't like tents).

Back