New Honey Hunters - Fabulous Wonderful

Armistice

Son of Yoda
The first song after the last album. Time to saddle up the old studio horsey and take it for a ride...

At 2:45 it'll be over before you know it. :-)

Any and all mix comments appreciated. Thanks chaps and chapesses.

Last edited:
The first song after the last album. Time to saddle up the old studio horsey and take it for a ride...

At 2:45 it'll be over before you know it. :-)

Any and all mix comments appreciated. Thanks chaps and chapesses.
That rocks! The vox sit a bit low in the mix... I know some people actually prefer it that way, but I could use a smidgeon more, especially within this genre.

That rocks! The vox sit a bit low in the mix... I know some people actually prefer it that way, but I could use a smidgeon more, especially within this genre.
Cheers, thanks. I always struggle with the vox level, not because I'm shy about it but because my brain knows it all so well I think it's filling it out a bit and makes me think it's louder than it actually is. I'll have a listen again today.

(y)

Cheers, thanks. I always struggle with the vox level, not because I'm shy about it but because my brain knows it all so well I think it's filling it out a bit and makes me think it's louder than it actually is. I'll have a listen again today.

(y)
Speaking from experience, it is a common tendency among many of us ;) Look forward to hearing/commenting on any revisions!

Sounds really good. I like everything about it except the chorus. Vocals are great as are melody and composition. Good job

I like the tune man I'm thinking a break in it somewhere for a ripping lead guitar solo would be a nice ad. Also some quick little guitar squeals or sax or something added in between the breaks in the words in the area where you sing isn't this ( little ripper going along with the guitar chords and drums ) just fabulous ( another little ripper ) wonderful ( another little ripper ) rinse and repeat in those sections. Just to add a little spice and kick to a really cool song. Good job mang!

I like the tune man I'm thinking a break in it somewhere for a ripping lead guitar solo would be a nice ad. Also some quick little guitar squeals or sax or something added in between the breaks in the words in the area where you sing isn't this ( little ripper going along with the guitar chords and drums ) just fabulous ( another little ripper ) wonderful ( another little ripper ) rinse and repeat in those sections. Just to add a little spice and kick to a really cool song. Good job mang!
Cheers TAE - I've actually redone the opening lead guitar motif on the grounds, as someone else pointed out, I don't actually play things like that... :unsure: :LOL: They are right, but I'm not sure what I've now done is better. I've taken the opportunity to put a little 4 note descending phrase in between the words in the chorus as you suggested. I'm just going to sit with it for 24 hours - I'm not entirely sure I like either yet, and don't want to post it up if I don't.:oops:

So swing by in another 24 hours or so and your suggestion may well have been implemented. Thanks for the listen.

Here you go - the special TAE Edition of Fabulous Wonderful. Couldn't do you a ripping lead break as I didn't want to make it any longer, but I did put a little something into the chorus - and I redid the bit at the beginning so it's a bit less generic blues lick and a bit more what I'd normally do...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TAE
That's outstanding. Can you tell us how you did the guitars?: gtr, signal chain, etc
Thanks Porterhouse

It's basically stacked, relatively clean, no effect guitars played as tightly as I could. First guitar is a Duesenberg Starplayer TV, second is a newish Tele - one track of each hard L and one track of each hard R. In the second half of the verse where the octave low voice comes in I add in a Les Paul Standard playing L and R as well, so at this stage you have 3 different guitars playing the same thing on either side.

All the "amplification" is via my Kemper - some number of Fender-ish profiles just starting to get a little gritty. On their own they don't sound so inspiring, but when you stack them up and have the bass playing the same riff you get a pretty nice meaty sound, I think.

The little motif at the end of the chorus is Duesenberg through a CarolAnn profile - some boutique US amp, I believe. Again, L and R but panned in a bit this time.

The lead work at the beginning and the repeated phrase in the chorus is, apparently, a 1967 dimed Vibrolux - whatever that is... with a touch of delay on it. New version only - not sure what the older version was, I more or less just picked something squealy at random - and because you can't really get a Kemper to feedback in any meaningful way at bedroom volume I used a Digitech FreqOut pedal to add faux feedback... :LOL:

Cheers

Thanks Porterhouse

It's basically stacked, relatively clean, no effect guitars played as tightly as I could. First guitar is a Duesenberg Starplayer TV, second is a newish Tele - one track of each hard L and one track of each hard R. In the second half of the verse where the octave low voice comes in I add in a Les Paul Standard playing L and R as well, so at this stage you have 3 different guitars playing the same thing on either side.

All the "amplification" is via my Kemper - some number of Fender-ish profiles just starting to get a little gritty. On their own they don't sound so inspiring, but when you stack them up and have the bass playing the same riff you get a pretty nice meaty sound, I think.

The little motif at the end of the chorus is Duesenberg through a CarolAnn profile - some boutique US amp, I believe. Again, L and R but panned in a bit this time.

The lead work at the beginning and the repeated phrase in the chorus is, apparently, a 1967 dimed Vibrolux - whatever that is... with a touch of delay on it. New version only - not sure what the older version was, I more or less just picked something squealy at random - and because you can't really get a Kemper to feedback in any meaningful way at bedroom volume I used a Digitech FreqOut pedal to add faux feedback... :LOL:

Cheers
What about the drums? Or are they VSTi?

View attachment 128967

Here you go - the special TAE Edition of Fabulous Wonderful. Couldn't do you a ripping lead break as I didn't want to make it any longer, but I did put a little something into the chorus - and I redid the bit at the beginning so it's a bit less generic blues lick and a bit more what I'd normally do...
Hey thanks for giving the idea a try I like what you did there! It's just a little extra ear candy to sweeten it up...

Back