New here. Looking for help on my home studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CognitiveMiser

I'll just say from the beginning that I'm 100% a newb. I know next to nothing about recording, and that's putting it kindly.

I'm not looking to become a pro right out of the gate. My main goal is to set up a low-budget, but decent quality home studio to record the music that I've written so that I can make decent quality demos for purposes of having good samples to show to potential bandmates, and to put on soundcloud, etc. I could also use it for composing music and other creative projects.

I'll need to record the basic rock instrments (guitar, drums, bass, and vocals).

I'll be honest, as far as equipment, I'm just looking for the cheapest stuff I can get to get a decent result. I thought this would be my best place to start for advice, so I'm making this thread so hopefully some smart people here can help me out.

Thanks SO MUCH for any help!

First off, welcome! You are in for the ride of your life if you stick with your goals! There are several forums within this community that you need to ask your questions in, to get a higher response/input for your questions.

I'll just say from the beginning that I'm 100% a newb. I know next to nothing about recording, and that's putting it kindly.

I'm not looking to become a pro right out of the gate. My main goal is to set up a low-budget, but decent quality home studio to record the music that I've written.

Check out this forum and ask your questions here about building your home studio. You will get better results if you can give a budget you will be working with. "$500 to $800" is a great explanation but "as cheap as possible" does very little to help.

I'll need to record the basic rock instrments (guitar, drums, bass, and vocals).

You can ask your questions concerning proper recording/mic placement techniques here.

I'll be honest, as far as equipment, I'm just looking for the cheapest stuff I can get to get a decent result.

You will find many disappointed members who have went down this very road, only to realize that when it comes to audio gear, sometimes the cheapest is simply a waist of money. Good talent can override cheap gear most of the time but cheap gear will almost certainly, bring good talent to its knees, most of the time as well.

What sort of jedi doublespeak is that? :p

It simply means that good talent can override sub par recording equipment when you have the talent, yet if you have the talent and you record on very shitty equipment you will sound like a fucking fool! Does that clear it up for ya or is that to much double talk? ;)

It simply means that good talent can override sub par recording equipment when you have the talent, yet if you have the talent and you record on very shitty equipment you will sound like a fucking fool! Does that clear it up for ya or is that to much double talk? ;)

It's not exactly what you said, which was: "Good talent can override cheap gear most of the time but cheap gear will almost certainly, bring good talent to its knees, most of the time as well."

Logically, this says: A + B = mostly win, but A + B = mostly fail. So, for the statement to work, extra qualification is needed.

For example, we need to know whether talent refers to performer or recorder. Good performer talent is recognisable whether recorded on good or bad gear. Good recorder talent allows someone to work around the shortcomings of poor equipment, but may result in an unhappy result if the performer has no talent.

It's not exactly what you said, which was: "Good talent can override cheap gear most of the time but cheap gear will almost certainly, bring good talent to its knees, most of the time as well."

Logically, this says: A + B = mostly win, but A + B = mostly fail. So, for the statement to work, extra qualification is needed.

For example, we need to know whether talent refers to performer or recorder. Good performer talent is recognisable whether recorded on good or bad gear. Good recorder talent allows someone to work around the shortcomings of poor equipment, but may result in an unhappy result if the performer has no talent.

It is just exactly what I said. The fact that you may have interpreted it incorrectly, is on you, not me. As far as added clarification, it really is not needed. Anyway, I am sure pinky got the point or he would be chiming in. If he did not, then I am sure he will understand your post and be satisfied with your explanations of my thoughts.

Last edited:
It is just exactly what I said. The fact that you may have interpreted it incorrectly, is on you, not me. Anyway, I am sure pinky got the point or he would be chiming in.

I may well have interpreted it incorrectly. That's a distinct possibility, because language is a tricky thing, and sometimes, in the interests of brevity, the words on the screen don't match exactly the thoughts in someone's head.

So, for example, were you talking about talent of performer or talent of recorder? I am trying to understand and I'm keen to get the correct interpretation.

I expect you're right about Pinky. Except he could be in bed, or at work

I may well have interpreted it incorrectly. That's a distinct possibility, because language is a tricky thing, and sometimes, in the interests of brevity, the words on the screen don't match exactly the thoughts in someone's head.

So, for example, were you talking about talent of performer or talent of recorder? I am trying to understand and I'm keen to get the correct interpretation.

I expect you're right about Pinky. Except he could be in bed, or at work

I have already had this conversation with one of your Mods about this post. This was before you posted. The answer or the thoughts I was trying to convey, concerns both the equipment as well as the talent. I will use tile setting as a further example.

If you have a person who is an expert in setting tile, and his helper is new and does a crappy job grouting it in, it will make the professional tile setters work, look like shit. On the other hand, if you take a tile setter who does a crappy job laying the tile and a experienced helper who knows how to grout, he can take that crappy tile job and make it look much better by applying his grouting skills. I hope this clears it up for you.

Generally speaking .....Good work isn't cheap, Cheap work isn't good......though there are always a few small exceptions to the rule

Generally speaking .......Good gear isn't cheap, Cheap gear isn't good.... though there are always a few small exceptions to the rule

Know what I mean Genavene?

I have already had this conversation with one of your Mods about this post. This was before you posted. The answer or the thoughts I was trying to convey, concerns both the equipment as well as the talent. I will use tile setting as a further example.

If you have a person who is an expert in setting tile, and his helper is new and does a crappy job grouting it in, it will make the professional tile setters work, look like shit. On the other hand, if you take a tile setter who does a crappy job laying the tile and a experienced helper who knows how to grout, he can take that crappy tile job and make it look much better by applying his grouting skills. I hope this clears it up for you.

Umm... NO! Absolutely not true. A complete and totally inappropriate and inaccurate analogy here Mack. In fact, I would call that the worst advice ever as far as tile installation is concerned.

I have been remodeling bathrooms for 29 years. Don't even go there. You just now proved to me that you are misinformed using false facts to prove your own point. Ugh... Just stop.

Why are you trying to fight with others man? Just take a chill pill and quit arguing. Use your knowledge and share with others without being 'right' all the time.

Language IS tricky and trying to explain complex concepts, especially across various countries and cultural/political mind sets is doubly so.

The mark of the TRUE expert is one who can explain things to almost anyone. I always enjoy watching/listening to consummate experts in almost any field. For instance, there was an all to short series on BBC R3 called "The Arrangers". This was top musicians talking about and illustrating the work of the Big Band arrangers. My knowledge of musical theory is thin to buggerall but THEY made me feel that I COULD just get an inkling into that world.

My knowledge of <script src="https://adservice.google.com/adsid/integrator.sync.js?domain=homerecording.com"></script><script>processGoogleTokenSync({"newToken":"FBS"},5);</script>Quantum Mechanics is a flea ***t but I still enjoy top people talking about it!

Be interesting to see how this edit turns out? My Q.Mechs point has been scrambled
Dave.

Umm... NO! Absolutely not true. A complete and totally inappropriate and inaccurate analogy here Mack. In fact, I would call that the worst advice ever as far as tile installation is concerned. I have been remodeling bathrooms for 29 years. Don't even go there. You just now proved to me that you are misinformed using false facts to prove your own point. Ugh... Just stop.

29 years. Really? I think I will go there and maybe after you read it for yourself, you may want to edit your post.

Applying the grout properly involves more than simply pushing it into the gaps between the tiles. A good grouting job can often mask imperfections in a tile installation, while a poor job can mar an otherwise outstanding tile installation. To look good, the grout must be smoothed so it forms an even border around each tile.

Just exactly what I said! HOME REPAIR; How to Correct Grouting And Other Tile Problems - The New York Times

Last edited:
Oh, I really am fed up with the guy. He brings his knowledge in a paper bag and his attitude in a dumper truck.

Dave.

I didn't realize my innocuous comment would devolve into this. Mods, can we perhaps split this thread? It's thoroughly derailed and I doubt the OP is interested in ANY of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back