New gear usage. Would love to hear some feedback.

Chris.

I'm pretty happy with the results on this one. I actually got a halfway decent sounding kick where normally I can't get one with enough click to save my life. I usually end up using samples on the kick and toms, but this all sounds really good with no sound replacing at all (to me, at least).

New stuff I got and used on this was a UA 2192, an Action comp, and my new randall guitar rig that all the guitars were done through.

I'd agree--you got some really decent sounds here. For my taste the guits and drums seem a bit distant, but that's more a function of mic placement and maybe some effects than it is the sounds themselves. And I think the cymbals are hot compared to the rest of the kit.

Those are more mixing & micing nits than the actual sounds you're getting--those are great. And I really like the guitar tones. What's the amp & mic combo?

I'd agree--you got some really decent sounds here. For my taste the guits and drums seem a bit distant, but that's more a function of mic placement and maybe some effects than it is the sounds themselves. And I think the cymbals are hot compared to the rest of the kit.

Those are more mixing & micing nits than the actual sounds you're getting--those are great. And I really like the guitar tones. What's the amp & mic combo?

Amp is an Egnator R4 with a Randall RT2/50 power amp. Cab is a 2x12 avatar cab with greenbacks. I did two tracks on each side, one with the Top Boost (Vox AC30) module miked with a senn e609, and then one with the SL+ (modded to be JCM800) and a SM57. The Top Boost tracks are panned about 50/50 and the SL+ are hard left and right.

And thank you. :)

Amp is an Egnator R4 with a Randall RT2/50 power amp. Cab is a 2x12 avatar cab with greenbacks. I did two tracks on each side, one with the Top Boost (Vox AC30) module miked with a senn e609, and then one with the SL+ (modded to be JCM800) and a SM57. The Top Boost tracks are panned about 50/50 and the SL+ are hard left and right.

And thank you. :)

Nice set up--and you're using it well, too. Thanks for sharing the info!

That is some very clever music. I enjoyed it. The comment about your drummer. HUH???
Anyway keep working on the drums just to get them bigger sounding. The snare seems good when its more or less by itself but when competing with everything else it gets pretty thin and has a hint of tapping on a paper cup quality. Might be a tuning issue?

You will get it figured out. Look how far you've come.

ac

Not a bad mix at all. I'm gonna hop on the bandwagon and commend your guitar tones. Those sons of B's sound good! Constructive Criticism: turn down the kick a little bit, maybe scoop out like 400-700Hz just a bit more. I think it sounds great though, it's a very good mix. Vocals are nice and smooth, too. What'd you track those with/through?

I like the final (just listened to the first and the final) seems like there as more clipping than mixing between the two? Nice song, and very good guitar tones and drumming.

Back