New Fender Player Plus Active Meteora Bass

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Anyone seen or played one yet? I watched some videos but the sound didn't impress me at all - quite a letdown, actually. Hopefully, they live up to their heritage and actually sound good in person. I did really like one body color.. the Tequila Sunrise - a nicely done paint scheme.

All I've seen is some of Fender's pics from FB. I said I thought it looked like something the tennage rock and roll band would have played on The Jetsons.

Sound is never what I worry about in these things. It's playability. Generally the generic sound is there. Your mileage may very.

When I got my USA fender bass, the squire(do not buy) was $199. The MIM brand Fender was $350. Now here is the kick, to get the same USA Standard bass it is $1999.99.

WTF?

This MIM Meteora is $1199? Yikes.

That is what the MIJ Reissues were going for.

I always wanted n original Hammer Aluminum neck, or a Parker Fly Graphite job..

Anyone seen or played one yet? I watched some videos but the sound didn't impress me at all - quite a letdown, actually. Hopefully, they live up to their heritage and actually sound good in person. I did really like one body color.. the Tequila Sunrise - a nicely done paint scheme.
I was just watching a comparo video between two modern basses and the big difference between this bass and most modern dual coil setups and classic fender P and J bass designs is the where on the strings the pickups are placed causing less bottom in the tone itself. IOW the bridge pickups are a lot closer to the bridge than on a classic P or J and the neck pickup is farther from the neck.

I was just watching a comparo video between two modern basses and the big difference between this bass and most modern dual coil setups and classic fender P and J bass designs is the where on the strings the pickups are placed causing less bottom in the tone itself. IOW the bridge pickups are a lot closer to the bridge than on a classic P or J and the neck pickup is farther from the neck.
I see it. The neck pickup is right about where the split-coil P-Bass would be, and the bridge pickup seems to be about 1/2-inch further down. That's messed up.

Looking at the Fender PJ P-Basses, some of the bridge pickups look closer to the bridge than others - must be an optical illusion when viewed on different body colors.

Well now there are two basses I need to see in person at GC, the Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet and the Fender Meteora. I may have to load the car up with food and beer and actually drive the 1 mile down to the store. It's a short road, and there's no desert.. I hope I make it OK.

Last edited:
I see it. The neck pickup is right about where the split-coil P-Bass would be, and the bridge pickup seems to be about 1/2-inch further down. That's messed up.

Looking at the Fender PJ P-Basses, some of the bridge pickups look closer to the bridge than others - must be an optical illusion when viewed on different body colors.

Well now there are two basses I need to see in person at GC, the Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet and the Fender Meteora. I may have to load the car up with food and beer and actually drive the 1 mile down to the store. It's a short road, and there's no desert.. I hope I make it OK.
Call us when you get there so we can make sure you made it.

I played one of those Gretsch's year ago, and I liked the way it played (I'm a short scale guy), but I didn't plug it in.

The Meteora doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm with Track Rat (I usually am). All I care about is how it feels. Pickups can (and probably will be) replaced.

When I got my USA fender bass, the squire(do not buy) was $199. The MIM brand Fender was $350. Now here is the kick, to get the same USA Standard bass it is $1999.99.

WTF?

This MIM Meteora is $1199? Yikes.

That is what the MIJ Reissues were going for.

I always wanted n original Hammer Aluminum neck, or a Parker Fly Graphite job..
What didn't you like about the Squier, and which one was it?

Call us when you get there so we can make sure you made it.

I played one of those Gretsch's year ago, and I liked the way it played (I'm a short scale guy), but I didn't plug it in.

The Meteora doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm with Track Rat (I usually am). All I care about is how it feels. Pickups can (and probably will be) replaced.
I like short scales. I played a Höfner 500/1 bass for many years and loved it. Then I bought new MIJ Precision and Jazz basses and couldn't believe how far I had to reach up the necks.

Back