New DAW build advice.

I had not heard of "modular" PC supplies and having looked them up I still that is a bit of a misnomer, perhaps someone could enlighten me further?

I was also about to say that having extra, unused power lines is not going to cause extra heating unless they draw power but I see the idea is that there are fewer cables in the way of the airflow...Hmm? Can't see why you can't "tidy away" the conventional mess?

And yes, 1000W is overkill in my book. I did some ACTUAL power measurements on a few towers a couple of years ago but no longer have the figures. I shall use my trusty Fluke 83 true rms meter and do it again!

Dave.

I had not heard of "modular" PC supplies and having looked them up I still that is a bit of a misnomer, perhaps someone could enlighten me further?

I was also about to say that having extra, unused power lines is not going to cause extra heating unless they draw power but I see the idea is that there are fewer cables in the way of the airflow...Hmm? Can't see why you can't "tidy away" the conventional mess?

And yes, 1000W is overkill in my book. I did some ACTUAL power measurements on a few towers a couple of years ago but no longer have the figures. I shall use my trusty Fluke 83 true rms meter and do it again!

Dave.

A modular PSU has separate sockets for each power cable and each can be removed so you don't have extraneous cables to deal with (Corsair Modular Power Supply Units). Of course, you can probably tidy them away (depending on how good cable management is in your case), but it's a lot easier to not have them in the PC at all. This also helps with airflow and keeping dust to a minimum.

A 1K PSU is only really necessary if you have high power graphics cards or lots and lots of mechanical drives. PSU calculators are available online.

MOST enlightening! Thanks Johnny.
I still think "modular" is a poor word for such a device? (tho' I readily admit no useful alternative springs to mind!)
Tekkies such as myself and "stooodio" people will think of modular construction as one that gives great flexibility to a piece of equipment or/and allows of rapid servicing, albeit at greater cost.
A good example is the 500 series "lunchbox" outboard processor and pre amp systems.

I have found my high tek, super sophisticated mains consumption test box. A 1 Ohm 10 watt in a tin with a 13A outlet and lead! I shall in due course check the actual consumption of three computers and other domestic devices.

Oil be beck!

Dave.

MOST enlightening! Thanks Johnny.
I still think "modular" is a poor word for such a device? (tho' I readily admit no useful alternative springs to mind!)
Tekkies such as myself and "stooodio" people will think of modular construction as one that gives great flexibility to a piece of equipment or/and allows of rapid servicing, albeit at greater cost.
A good example is the 500 series "lunchbox" outboard processor and pre amp systems.

I have found my high tek, super sophisticated mains consumption test box. A 1 Ohm 10 watt in a tin with a 13A outlet and lead! I shall in due course check the actual consumption of three computers and other domestic devices.

Oil be beck!

Dave.

For a power supply, cables are about all you can make module. Kind of a nice feature, but with tie wraps and a little routing thought, I've never seen it as an issue.

Back