New amp for Greg - Bladow! (lots of pics)

Yup, those are awesome. It's a Super Lead in JCM 800 clothes. Same circuit as the Plexi/JMP non-master vol Marshalls.
Well I sold it in about 2001 and never much liked it! I might have got on with it better had I known about the input-jumping trick! I remember the twin volume controls now. I would've been able to dial in a much, much better tone. The bright was much too bright and the normal was pretty dull. Those will have been a circuit board amp, yes?

Ain't that a kick in the balls, Bubba....I wish I could pick through the gear I had once upon a time, & get back what I'd want now...:facepalm:.
My very first Marshall I bought (or, rather, my dad bought) in 1979, was an 18w head. If I could have that amp back now, I would. We paid £70 at the time, and that included a cab! Nobody wanted them then. They all wanted the new S/S amps that were the coming thing. I once turned it right up and the sound was immense. I traded it in, as you do, for a more flexible amp that suited what I was doing at the time. It was the 2x12 Peavey ripoff of the Roland Jazz chorus. The Peavey was a good amp, but how much would an original hand-wired head like that stand me now? I dread to think.

My very first Marshall I bought (or, rather, my dad bought) in 1979, was an 18w head. If I could have that amp back now, I would. We paid £70 at the time, and that included a cab! Nobody wanted them then. They all wanted the new S/S amps that were the coming thing. I once turned it right up and the sound was immense. I traded it in, as you do, for a more flexible amp that suited what I was doing at the time. It was the 2x12 Peavey ripoff of the Roland Jazz chorus. The Peavey was a good amp, but how much would an original hand-wired head like that stand me now? I dread to think.
Yeah man, the white amp I had, I basically traded it for a 3-channel, solid-state Randall RG100...:facepalm:...But, at that time it was suited to fit what I needed, but still...Between that, & the rest of the stuff I've gotten rid of over the years due to various reasons at the time(s), I really regret that shit now, but, back then, I had no clue about gear like I do now, so...

Well I sold it in about 2001 and never much liked it! I might have got on with it better had I known about the input-jumping trick! I remember the twin volume controls now. I would've been able to dial in a much, much better tone. The bright was much too bright and the normal was pretty dull. Those will have been a circuit board amp, yes?

Yup, circuit board, but wired traditionally. No quick connectors anywhere. Jumping the channels does thicken it up, but the bright channel is only too bright when it's not cranked enough! Some people mod the bright cap for different values, or remove it all together. It tames the bright channel and makes the ramp up in gain more linear. I don't always jump the channels. It just depends on my mood and which guitar I'm using. Lately I've liked jumping them, but I like it non-jumpered too. But the normal channel is indeed dark. I never use the normal channel by itself.

The 1959 circuit is killer. If you didn't like it it's your own damn fault. :D

Yeah man, the white amp I had, I basically traded it for a 3-channel, solid-state Randall RG100...:facepalm:...But, at that time it was suited to fit what I needed, but still...Between that, & the rest of the stuff I've gotten rid of over the years due to various reasons at the time(s), I really regret that shit now, but, back then, I had no clue about gear like I do now, so...

You can't hang on to everything, I suppose. I traded my Peavey for the 1959 plus cash and really disliked it. I was pressured into it by my band mates. I really like my TSL though, but I'm sure the JVM will do the live job better.

The 1959 circuit is killer. If you didn't like it it's your own damn fault. :D

Ha ha. :D I wasn't playing then what I play now. At the time, my stack could be intolerably loud and still not generate a good tone that worked with the band. Part of that was probably because the A cab was at ear level. Also, I was using a strat on the bridge 99% of the time. Piercing. I'd have been better not plugging the top cab in. :D

You can't hang on to everything, I suppose. I traded my Peavey for the 1959 plus cash and really disliked it. I was pressured into it by my band mates. I really like my TSL though, but I'm sure the JVM will do the live job better.
Yeah man, I get it. I was kinda talked into getting the Randall amp way back then, & honestly, it did fit better with the music we were playing. I had clean, crunch, & a lead channel, so once I had my levels set, I pretty much just hit the footswitch when I needed, & that was it. Still, there are some things I'd love to have back now, but, that's life....

On the strat thing, I had the same experience. Back then I had a few guitars I'd play for different songs, & the strat was always so bright it was piercing. Eventually I got an Ibanez S540 with a coil-tap for the bridge p'up, & while it wasn't a "true" single-coil sound IMO, it worked much better for what we were doing...

Keep us posted on the amp dude, I'm curious to hear what you think about it if/when it happens....

Keep us posted on the amp dude, I'm curious to hear what you think about it if/when it happens....

I certainly will, miner. Unless the thing is a complete and utter dog, it's mine. As I mentioned earlier, the amp is priced so under book, I could do a total tube change and still be well within tolerance. I'm getting it on Tuesday night. :) The chap is giving up playing live, and he just wants cashback. He's not trying to realise maximum value so he can get something else that takes his fancy. He's not taking trades. 99% of people trading on UK pages want to swap. Cash seems to be a rare commodity. I may even get it for £450. :D

I certainly will, miner. Unless the thing is a complete and utter dog, it's mine. As I mentioned earlier, the amp is priced so under book, I could do a total tube change and still be well within tolerance. I'm getting it on Tuesday night. :) The chap is giving up playing live, and he just wants cashback. He's not trying to realise maximum value so he can get something else that takes his fancy. He's not taking trades. 99% of people trading on UK pages want to swap. Cash seems to be a rare commodity. I may even get it for £450. :D
Cool man, I know Greg likes his (he says it's his least-liked amp, but fuck, look at the other amps he's comparing it to...:)), & about everybody I've talked with about it seem to like it, a lot. I'm sure it'll be great for gigs man, 4 channels, 4 modes per channel is basically a 12 channel amp. If you get the footswitch with it, you can save your presets & just recall 'em by stepping on a button. To me, if I were a gigging guy, that would be truly awesome to be able to do that...

Keep us posted dude!!!

Cool man, I know Greg likes his (he says it's his least-liked amp, but fuck, look at the other amps he's comparing it to...:)),

That's true. It is my least liked amp, but that's like saying Margot Robbie is the ugliest girl in my harem of superbitches. I just do better with the single channel classic designs for my style and sound. The JVM is fucking killer. I'd be just fine with it being my only amp. I'm just spoiled with all the others.

I'm now the proud owner of a Marshall JVM 410H. :) As predicted, I got it for £450. ($643 US.) :D :D
Wow, that's a hell of a deal Bubba, I thought you were still giving about $1000 for it....That's about half what a used one goes for here. I actually looked at GC online, & the cheapest used JVM410 I saw was about $1100....Again, hell of a deal, congrats man!!!!!!

Post up some pics & clips when you get time...

Wow, that's a hell of a deal Bubba, I thought you were still giving about $1000 for it....That's about half what a used one goes for here. I actually looked at GC online, & the cheapest used JVM410 I saw was about $1100....Again, hell of a deal, congrats man!!!!!!

Post up some pics & clips when you get time...

Cheers, Minerman. Even accounting for the lower used values over here and its age it's still amazingly cheap. Recent re-valve, too.

It's too late to play with it now, but I'm looking forward to tinkering. I've worked my way through the channels at the seller's house and it's safe to say it will do everything I ask of it without ever straying into the OD2 channel. There are insane amounts of gain on there!

My main task is to program the footswitch to my needs. I think it's in preset mode at the moment. The clean channel is great - in red gain mode it Delivers an excellent Joe Strummer tone.

Awesome, congrats! :)

Just a note, OD2 doesn't have more gain than OD1. It's just a different voicing. They're basically the same, but OD2 has the mids shifted a little lower, more modern sound.

Awesome, congrats! :)

Just a note, OD2 doesn't have more gain than OD1. It's just a different voicing. They're basically the same, but OD2 has the mids shifted a little lower, more modern sound.

Weird - that's not how it seemed when I was trying it out. Still, I only spent a cursory 20 minutes with it, inbetween shooting the shit with the guy about bands and recording (and VW Transporter vans,as it happens, lol :D)

Weird - that's not how it seemed when I was trying it out. Still, I only spent a cursory 20 minutes with it, inbetween shooting the shit with the guy about bands and recording (and VW Transporter vans,as it happens, lol :D)

The gain goes up within each channel via the green/orange/red modes. But each channel isn't increasingly gainier than the previous. For example, Clean Red has way more gain than Crunch Green. OD1 Red has more gain than OD2 Green. Think of each channel as it's own amp with three modes.

The Clean channel is the real oddball. Clean Green is very clean and goes straight to the master volume. Clean Orange and Red go through the channel volume first, then master volume. The Clean Channel also has a "Plexi" style tone stack, meaning the tone controls come before the gain stages. They filter signal before hitting the tube stages..

For example, Clean Red has way more gain than Crunch Green.
I discovered that. I would say that the Clean Red mode is "thinned" tonewise compared to a similarly-gained Crunch channel setting. It gave my bridge humbucker almost a tele bridge sound, which I liked immensely.

I really like the clean channel. IMO, on the TSL, the clean channel is a wasted channel. The JVM clean channel is a peach for some of the songs we cover, particularly "Sound of the Suburbs" by the Members, and "Down in the Tubestation at Midnight" by the Jam. As you can see, I'm looking at direct applicability to my live set with this amp. The Crunch channel is great, too.

Back