neve

I wouldn't give up on the API yet. First, noone knows how this new Neve preamp sounds yet. Personally, I am sure it will sound great, but as of yet I have no idea which flavor of preamp this will be. If it is inline with the Focusrite ISA or Amek lines, it will be more of a fast, fairly clean sound. If its more of the classic Neve 1073 sound it will be smooth and fat (almost too fat:D ). If it is the 1073 sound than the price seems pretty good. If it is designed more along the lines of the Focusrite or the Amek, than that is the same price that they already were, although the others may offer more features at that price. Personally, I am still very interested to hear it and see what it really does and doesn't do well. It could be a great bargain, or just another preamp in that price range that sounds like so many of the others. Either way, I don't see it being a bad deal at that price, just maybe not quite as special as some people want to make it out to be.

Wow, I stumbled on the website today. This is the first piece of rack gear I have wanted in a really long time. I've been wanting 2 neve pres in a half rack space for my mobile laptop rig. Great, now I'm going to have to sell something.

H2H

That must be a major blow for the "boutique amp" manufacturers -- and to the second-hand vintage NEVE hype.

I mean, I was thinking for MONTHS which of the pres around $1,000-1,500 I could get. Now the decision is kinda easy. How could anyone who is looking for a pre in that price range bypass a NEVE if its only like $750 per channel?

Am I wrong in thinking that Hartley Peavey released a VSOP pre' with "Neve" on the faceplate a yr or so ago?

Most "Pros" hated the "Neve" designed Amek stuff. Why is anyone assuming that this product might be different? I hope it is though. For 1 channel at 1K, buy a DRS-1. Not much competes with it.

Giganova said:
That must be a major blow for the "boutique amp" manufacturers -- and to the second-hand vintage NEVE hype.

I mean, I was thinking for MONTHS which of the pres around $1,000-1,500 I could get. Now the decision is kinda easy. How could anyone who is looking for a pre in that price range bypass a NEVE if its only like $750 per channel?

cuz it might not sound spectacular like the amek and summit rack mount offerings didn't sound spectacular

There aren't alot of great 2 channel preamps in the under 1200 range, but there are some nice single channel in the 800-1200 range. I really don't think that this is going to affect the whole "boutique" market a whole lot. There are a lot of well sought after preamps that are not even related to the Neve designs. Theres Neumann, Telefunken, Helios, EMI, Audix, Calrec etc.... The point is that since the old Neve classic era there are a lot of people who feel like Rupert's designs never really stacked up that well since then. Of course, as far as I can tell, the stuff he has designed since then was intended to be different. The price on the new Neve is not actually that far out of line with some of the old preamps. Add a nice EQ to that though and the price of the classic stuff jumps pretty considerably. If the new preamp though does have that classic two stage 1272'ish sound, then this product will be up against a lot of the knock offs that are actually a little cheaper than this new Neve sometimes. SOme off those knock-offs are pretty nice, and many people even like certain things about them better than some of the originals.

Once again though, I am still very interested to hear with the whole new line sounds like. I personally have a feeling that it will be great, but that this won't be the "magic box" that brings the rest of the industry to a halt.

I was told that they're being made in China to enable a high end design for a lower price. Should be interesting.

kats said:
I was told that they're being made in China to enable a high end design for a lower price. Should be interesting.

I talked to them on the phone yesterday. Not true...they're made in Texas.

Hmmmmmmm....interesting

The TM 5012 slightly resembles FMR's RNP. The phone number on Neve's web site is an Austin, TX area code....same city as FMR.

You think? Nah!

Back