neve

Well

as a bedroom recording guy who is saving his pennies to get an RNP, if this thing cost a grand, then it doesn't change my world at all. If I can't afford a Vintech 1272, or a Brent Averill or any other Neve pres, then not being able to afford this doesn't do much extra for me. It's just another model of high-end mic pre that I can't afford, like about twenty other brands.

Now, if these will be in a price range where the RNP is, then I am throwing a party if I can get Neve quality at that price, and the RNP may not get my soon-to-be sale. If it is joining the ranks of Avalon, Great River, Daking, Manley, and all the other preamps that I can't afford, well then, it means as much to me as they do, and that's not very much since I can't have any of those either.

Any idea what market these are aimed at?

Jeff

Supercreep said:
Nice catch. Looks like a budget box. We'll see how it sounds.

Its Neve with custom wound transformers. What budget peice you know has transformers? Let alone CUSTOM wound ones....

Definitly wishful thinking....but I wouldn't be mad if it was

Reactions: NL5
Teacher said:
What budget peice you know has transformers?

TwinQ has a transformer coupling option. It's @ $750.00 with EQ and Compression. Maybe a mid-level box but not boutique by any standards.

Presonus MP20. Used to even have Jensen transformers, which are pretty much top notch.

I will be curious about the price on these as well. If it is anywhere under a grand, I might be in.

Good point, Teacher.

We'll see in the by-and-by.

BTW, I wanted to point out that it looks like a budget box, not that I have any reasonable expectation that it will or should be.

Yeah, maybe they are just trying to get the sales they deserve away from Vintech and other cloners and such. If the price is in the same ballpark, I bet a lot of people would rather be able to say they have a true Neve®.

Just for fun, and I'm bored, I would speculate that it will have at least 1 transformer. This would put them in around $1000 based on current costs. The second preamp takes them up to $1700. There is a hi pass and some sort of EQ "Silk" so $2000 range is most likely. This barring Rupert and staff coming up with some new technology to circumvent a transformer while still getting a Neve-ish sound, and I would not write this possibility off by the way.

We should make this a pool. $1 per guess.

NL5 said:
I say $2500 - You gotta pay extra for a true Neve.......

I was thinking the same thing but his Amek offerings weren't ridiculously priced. But then again sonically the amek rackmount offerings supposedly fell short of his reputation.

Back