Needs alot answered about command 8!!! Please help!

RueMorgueRecord

ok long time now speak all, but to the point me and my partner are looking into command 8. we are upgrading to pt 9 anyday once it arrives in mail, and are running a mbox2 currently.... now heres my concerns

do you need the mbox 2 to run the command 8, or does the 8 replace the need for the mbox.

also i am looking at pics of the 8 and i dont see 8 inputs for mic/line on the back. am i under the wrong assumption that having the 8 means we could per say mic a drum kit and record all at once each leveled seperately and having seperate track???
~ to add to my concern there, till now i have been running through my analog mixers the mics, then out into the mbox for drums. so my mix was always set after the board and the one track was for the whole kit that had the mix already. we were hoping that those days would be behind us and the above were the case.

is a used command 8 going to be fully compatible with the new PT 9 software?

can really use alot of insight on these things . thanks

I think you're going down the wrong path here.
Command 8 is just a big mouse...that's it.

If you're buying pro tools 9 then you'll need to get an interface with 8 mic preamps in it to be able to record full kits etc etc.

maybe presonus fp10?

what about the digi 002? and keep the mbox 2, giving us 6 mic pre's??? is that a possibility?

i realized after the command 8 post that we wanted an 002 console if anything along those lines.
but with that it has 4 pre i think, so can it be combined with the mbox 2 , and then some other way to get more?

the presonus is enough but then theres no board/console and thats also our aim is to rid the analog mixer and go with an all in one like a 002.

if im way off please inform us before we make a purchase, thanks guys!!!

also to add

we have 2 mbox minis as well, can we use those as a pre and into the other four inputs on the 002? is this also a possibility?

Are you on mac os?
If so you can use all the mboxs and a digi 002 in an aggregate device no problem.(PT9 only)

I don't know if/how that works in windows.

I don't think the mboxs have line outs, so that would stop you feeding them into the digi 002 line ins 5-8.

You Might be able to use mbox spdif output into the digi spdif input, but even if that does work, you could only do it with one mbox.

The other option is a digi 002 and something like a focusrite octopre or a behringer ada8000, both of which will give 8 more channels over light pipe for a total of 12 mic pres.

My first choice would be aggregate audio device, and if that's not an option, behringer would be second since it's so cheap.

Back