Need recommendation for budget USB interface

Pinky

and The Brain...
I occassionally work with a friend 3,000 miles away (he uses a Windows 7 x64 desktop). Our setup for him to add vocals to our songs is less than ideal (latency, monitoring issues, etc). I think we have to finally break down and toss the old PCI creative card and get him a proper USB interface.

Being that we make $0 on the music we work on together I'd like to keep the costs minimal. We have a mixer with phantom power and a decent mic, just need to get a better interface for Sonar.

I use a PreSonus Audiobox and I read a lot of good things about the Focusrite 2i2. Problem is that both are usually $100+. I really only need a clean input for vocals. Should I just get a usb/xlr mic input or is there something like the PreSonus that costs less and will be *good enough*?

Those interfaces really are the entry level for a decent box with real preamps. I have the Focusrite and it works great for me. I have never used a xlr/USB adapter but I would be leery of using one for music. You don't want to spend a lot of money, but you might be throwing away $30 when $120 will get you something that will meet your needs.

J

You're right J, I found the Audiobox for $120 shipped on Sweetwater (sale) and I get 24 months to pay it off (at $5/month). Seems a lot less expensive that way. lol

Thanks Broken_H, I already ordered the audiobox (and I suppose my personal experience with it helps supporting it 3,000 miles away) but that looks like a solid recommendation!

Thanks Broken_H, I already ordered the audiobox (and I suppose my personal experience with it helps supporting it 3,000 miles away) but that looks like a solid recommendation!

Probably too late, but get the Audiobox VSL. I have the older one, it is good, but I have noticed some performance issues, my understanding is the VSL reconciles that.

If you get good performance from the Audiobox, then the other parts are pretty solid for the price. If you do have issues, you might want to return it and upgrade to the VSL.

Probably too late, but get the Audiobox VSL. I have the older one, it is good, but I have noticed some performance issues, my understanding is the VSL reconciles that.

If you get good performance from the Audiobox, then the other parts are pretty solid for the price. If you do have issues, you might want to return it and upgrade to the VSL.

Will do. I've had zero issues with my audiobox usb (about 6 months of regular use).

I think we have to finally break down and toss the old PCI creative card and get him a proper USB interface.

There is no such thing as a "Proper" budget USB interface. You'll be downgrading if you go from PCI to USB. Get a better PCI interface!!!

Back