Need life in recordings

I posted this in the mp3 clinic as well, but here's a recording in which guitars, vox, bass, keys were all into my interface. Just seems to be lacking a character.

Mercy by TPedora on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The muso's need to lean on the groove more. It's very straight.

The vocalist has timbre but no real oooomph.

Try adding some tube simulation and EQ from the best mic pre VST thats also FREE :P

screenshot2.png

Pardon my bluntness. . . The life that is missing in that recording is the musicians. . . just my two cents, but that style of music is my meat and potatoes, and they were the stiffest band I've heard in a long time. . . I found myself wondering if they were wearing three-piece suits, or perhaps trying not to wake the ladies seated in the front pew. . .

I thought the bassist particularly could stretch out, the drummer needs to "introduce" the solos, etc with fills. . . Do these guys ever smile or maybe even laugh? . . .

As was already stated, mixing dynamics are lacking a bit, and mixing with that in mind might help a bit, but I think a beer or two, and a night with The Allman Bros Live at the Filmore would help even more. .

Again, not trying to be rude. . . But give the band some bar money and let them use a curse word from time to time. . .

Good recording though. . . Just generic playing. . No sweating. . No breathing. . No living. . . Very "For Hire" . . But very nice.

FWIW - from long, drawn out personal experience - this happens alot to us guys who 'go it alone'. I think he was playing everything. It's *really* hard to get a groove going in traditional roots music, blues, r&b when you are recording and playing alone and shooting for a full band sound. You effectively have to learn to jam with yourself, and it aint easy - especially when computers are involved. I could be wrong about him playing everything..

I started doing something that helps me.

Get a loop going @ the right tempo and style (it doesn't have to be great - just pick one from a library that's close - it's not going to be around long)
Jam along with this on bass for 15 minutes or so to get warmed up
Cut a real loose, rough bass track (it's not going to be around long either)
Throw down a scratch guitar and guide vocal
Go back and cut some drums - doesn't matter if they are edrums or real and get a good groove going with the bass - adding fills and emphasis using the scratch guitar and vocal as a guide
Then throw away the scratch bass track and record the real bass track once you get a real good grove going with the drums
By this time you should have a decent rythm section going with a decent groove - this is the bedrock of the song
Record everything else

Orignally posted in mp3 clinic by TPeroda85- "Hey guys!

Looking to get some feedback on a mix here. Trying to hone the skills to do this for a living. Let me know what you think. The drums are sampled and pretty bland, but that was at request."

I'm assuming the "do this for a living" refers to the mixing. . . OK well, if the mix was intended to showcase the vocalist, it did that well. . The band isn't in her way at all . . (BTW, she's very good, just gotta get a small slice of Dale Krantz or Janis in there for a tune like this)

I simply can't imagine who would request bland, sampled drums though. . "Yes, I'd like to order a burger that tastes like cardboard, and a soda that's mostly water. . . No, no catsup or salt. . . and hold the creative colorful wrapper. . I'm trying to enjoy this meal as little as I can."

Anyway, it comes back to dynamics. . .a little more pushing and pulling in the mix creates a tension and release that's lacking here. . Musicians normally play with that dynamic if they're at all concious of the song they're playing. . You can't give the drummer a pulse he doesn't have, but if I were remixing this tune, even these drums would be in your face with the vocals, and the bass would be punchier, as it seems to lack any presence . . .
(And I'd really want to add a real guitarist that unbuttons his top button, and eats real fast-food and sweats)

... FWIW - from long, drawn out personal experience - this happens alot to us guys who 'go it alone'. I think he was playing everything. It's *really* hard to get a groove going in traditional roots music, blues, r&b when you are recording and playing alone and shooting for a full band sound. You effectively have to learn to jam with yourself, and it aint easy - especially when computers are involved. I could be wrong about him playing everything ...
Very well put, I have the same problem with dynamics in anything I do alone - which is all my stuff, except for a drummer, but he's called in after the song is recorded.

Thanks for the input all. All will be taken and used in future recordings. There were lots of good things to take away from. Some things I wish we're communicated a bit more delicately as I was more concerned about the quality of the mix as to the level of enjoyment my sampled drummer has in playing or the type of food I eat as a guitar player. That being said, the drums are boring and the guitar is subdued for sure and that's good input to here. I will definitely use that in future recordings as my instinct is obviously one of subdued playing as opposed to stretching out. Thanks for the time you all took to reply! It's appreciated!

Some things I wish we're communicated a bit more delicately . .

In the (unlikely?) event that this was directed at the opinions that I shared, I was just trying to drive a few points home in a way you might remember them in the future. . . I agree that I may have over-done it. .

I apologize if you took offense, but you did say that you wanted to do this for a living, so I put my career hat on, not my, "That's very nice, Junior." grandma pearls. . .

BTW, I listened to the other stuff you had up there too. . . "It's very nice."

[SUP]No no, I appreciate the honesty. Being that I do want to do this as a proffession, I have to be honest with myself. And honestly, it's humbling but good to hear oppinuons like yours. No offense taken. I appreciate the reality check! Keep the professional hat! [/SUP]

Back