Need life in recordings

TPeroda85

Hi all! I'm new here and wanted to ask some questions.

Currently I record with an m-audio fast track ultra. While it does sound good, there isn't a lot of character in the tracks. I'm not sure how to get around that. It seems to be lacking a life and depth. Obviously it should considering they are cheap pre's. I do have a mackie 1202 with their XDR pre's here, but I doubt that will get me closer to.

Im kicking around the idea of picking up an Allen and Heath mixer to use for its pre's (I do enjoy how they sound) ... I'm also considering selling the fast track and buying a new interface with better pre's. Any suggestions?

I'd like to hear what your recordings are actually sounding like to get an exact idea as to what you are meaning... Would you be able to post some clips that we could listen to?

Well perhaps I didn't make the issue too clear. There isn't a lot of character or "color" to the pre's I'm using. I feel like adding the color may help. I'll post some clips of some recordings soon.

Well perhaps I didn't make the issue too clear. There isn't a lot of character or "color" to the pre's I'm using. I feel like adding the color may help. I'll post some clips of some recordings soon.

I can't evaluate your recording right now because the only audio system I have here at the office is a laptop with built-in speakers. Here are some things to look for though:

(1) Some tracks may not be recorded "hot" enough.

(2) Some instruments may be masking others. In other words, two or more instruments may share the same part of the audio frequency spectrum. When this happens, all of the masking/masked instruments can sound indistinct. Judicious use of parametric eq on each track during mixdown can help.

(3) The acoustical treatment (or lack thereof) in your mixing room may not allow you to accurately hear what you're mixing.

I don't understand this one, Diggy. As far as I know, "not hot enough" doesn't exist in the digital format.

Just throwing stuff out there. Assuming the room treatment is good, I think masking is the most likely culprit.

Good options guys! I'll try and see if tracking things hotter will make a difference as well as watching instrument overlap.

Room acoustic treatment isn't great, isn't as bad as it could be either haha.

Good options guys! I'll try and see if tracking things hotter will make a difference as well as watching instrument overlap.

Room acoustic treatment isn't great, isn't as bad as it could be either haha.

Being in an analog frame of mind, I missed the part where you said you were recording digitally. As RAMI said, recording hot probably doesn't have anything to do with your problem. Masking is something all mixing engineers have to deal with though. That's just the nature of multitrack recording.

I had a quick listen

The recording is fine . . . good performance, great voice . . . all instruments are clear. If you think it lacks character, that lack does not stem from the gear you are using. I expect there are recording and mixing techniques that might help, rather than different gear.

I posted this in the mp3 clinic as well, but here's a recording in which guitars, vox, bass, keys were all into my interface. Just seems to be lacking a character.

Mercy by TPedora on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

My 2 cents... Starting at the bottom..

The drums are clean and although there are fills and the like they are directly on-time, all the time, the bass is clean, the guitar is super clean, the organ is even cleaner, the vocals cleaner still, you are probably playing everything yourself - it all adds up to a whole that is bright, clean and sparkly - and based on the instrumentation and style you are using (hammonds, grooving bass) you are probably looking for a more organic feel. I think you have a good handle on recording and mixing, nothing blatantly wrong frequency wise, maybe some level ups, downs, panning, strategic verbs etc. - but I don't think what you are looking for comes in a pre. I could be wrong.

Interesting, thanks for the input guys! It does make sense that things are too clean, thus taking the life, or edge out. I appreciate your time!

Interesting, thanks for the input guys! It does make sense that things are too clean, thus taking the life, or edge out. I appreciate your time!

You're actually in a great position though. You can obviously play, have a good singer and a good handle on the recording/mixing end.

Really nice recording TPeroda! Vocals and instruments all sound clean and pro. Good job to the players!

If I were to mix it down, I would center the Bass a little more than it is. I would turn down the Keyboard a little even though the playing is great. Guitar needs to come up just a tiny smidge in the rhythm sections. Her voice is so strong she is almost "to far" out in front of everything else. The ending sounds great!

Thanks for sharing. As is usual, I don't know anything so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Noob central here...

(1) Some tracks may not be recorded "hot" enough.
I'm recording in Toronto in the middle of frigging winter, and my tracks are hot enough. Where's he recording, the South Pole? Then again, I'm 53 and sleep with a heating blanket, even in summer. Dang my misspent youth in Montreal.

Pardon my bluntness. . . The life that is missing in that recording is the musicians. . . just my two cents, but that style of music is my meat and potatoes, and they were the stiffest band I've heard in a long time. . . I found myself wondering if they were wearing three-piece suits, or perhaps trying not to wake the ladies seated in the front pew. . .

I thought the bassist particularly could stretch out, the drummer needs to "introduce" the solos, etc with fills. . . Do these guys ever smile or maybe even laugh? . . .

As was already stated, mixing dynamics are lacking a bit, and mixing with that in mind might help a bit, but I think a beer or two, and a night with The Allman Bros Live at the Filmore would help even more. .

Again, not trying to be rude. . . But give the band some bar money and let them use a curse word from time to time. . .

Good recording though. . . Just generic playing. . No sweating. . No breathing. . No living. . . Very "For Hire" . . But very nice.

Back