Need info on AKG D1000E Please

BlueNorthern

I was recently given one of these mics. It looks like a good dynamic mic. I have no info about it, and can't seem to locate info on the net. It has a three position switch B-M-S. How is this used? Thanks!

Akg D 1000 E

Hi,
I have one of these mics as well and was looking for info on it too.

I can tell you this, I have seen it used on the bottom of snare drums, in live situations, I saw it on a Led Zeppelin DVD I have. I mentioned this mic to an engineer friend (he engineered the Camouflage record by Rod Stewart) he said it was a cool mic, very bright.
I have had this mic forever, I dont even remember where or when I aquired it.
Im going to try it on the snare bottom and some other things for experiment.

Good luck finding more info!!
let me know if you do.
Makes

I agree about SM57, and would add SM58. It's a very "natural" sounding vocal and acoustic instrument mic. The BMS switch adds some extra flexibility, I suppose. I never use M or S. S may be useful for cymbals, though I much prefer small diaphragm condensers to dynamics for this.

The D1000E is an excellent dynamic vocal mic. It's remarkably flat and smooth from 100-10k. It has a slight +2dB presence bump @ 5-6 kHz as is common for vocal mics. The BMS switch is Bass, Mid, and Sharp. Bass is pretty much ruler-flat (except for the presence bump) from 100 Hz out beyond 10 kHz, and is the setting I almost always use. Mid attenuates <2 kHz by around -4-5 dB. Sharp attenuates like Mid, with <800 Hz cut another ~-4-5 dB.

My only gripes are that quality varies considerably from mic to mic (I own three), and if you drop it, the head will probably break.

Other than these gripes, it's a great mic. Just keep it far away from drunk/stoned karaoke wanna-be's.

I agree about SM57, and would add SM58. It's a very "natural" sounding vocal and acoustic instrument mic. The BMS switch adds some extra flexibility, I suppose. I never use M or S. S may be useful for cymbals, though I much prefer small diaphragm condensers to dynamics for this.

Wow. This one had been buried so long, it was only a few days from turning into oil....

Back