Need help with Drums

kostas04

i hope i didnt post this in the wrong section , but anyways, i wrote a few songs, but i cant make a full recording, i play the guitar and sing, i wrote the music and lyrics to everything and i can play the bass for my songs, but i cant play the drums, i tried fruity loops and drum box's and drum loops but it never seems to sound right, problem is connecting beats together when i switch from chorus to verse .ive tried it so manny times and it never sounds as good as everything else , im looking for someone that would be willing to add a drum track to 1 or 2 of my songs, i dont have any friends that are drummer so i thought i'd come here and ask for someone to help me out , their simple songs to play i sound like smashing pumpkins kinda, i hope im not asking for too much , it just gets really frustrating when u cant make complete songs, if someone dosent mind please reply to this , i can record the guitar track using the metronome and send it to you through email or upload it to my server, also the drum track dosent have to be the best quality , i have sound blaster live sound card so its not the best but decent. thanks.

Hi,
I am pretty new at programming drums...
But I'll give it a shot......

link me up man....
Joe

kostas04 said:
ive tried it so manny times and it never sounds as good as everything else , im looking for someone that would be willing to add a drum track to 1 or 2 of my songs, i dont have any friends that are drummer so i thought i'd come here and ask for someone to help me out , their simple songs to play i sound like smashing pumpkins kinda, i hope im not asking for too much , it just gets really frustrating when u cant make complete songs, if someone dosent mind please reply to this , i can record the guitar track using the metronome and send it to you through email or upload it to my server, also the drum track dosent have to be the best quality , i have sound blaster live sound card so its not the best but decent. thanks.

That must be the longest sentence ever. Breeeathe man.

Maybe you have high expectations of what you should get from the time you put into sequencing your drum tracks. I know I put in several hours usually during the course of making my drum track for a song.

I also dont recommend a loop-based drum sequencer. You might want to try a hit-based drum sequencer (I use LeafDrums FYI) instead as this allows you to control each drum hit and program like a drummer would play instead of trying to get loops to fit your music.

ive tried LeafDrums b4 , and honestly i hate it, i would really prefer it if some who plays the drums just recorded something, but if i cant find anyone i might have to do it my self.

I play mainly guitar & bass, but I'm also an accomplished drummer... PM me if you're interested...

- Tanlith -

Well, I use fruity loops all the time.

Its not just for trying to loop a bar, you can use as many unique patterns as you want. There are many DIFFERENT ways to do It, I would say just keep at it. One thing that will also help dramatically with the sound it find yourself some acoustic drum wav's, the ones that some OEM suck for trying to sound like a real set.

Take a look at some of the demos too, they help learn it.

Space

You can also try to use a MIDI sequencer with a soundfont or a MIDI keyboard (if you have one). Why don't you try LiveSynth Pro?

Depending on your music style I could record the drums as MIDI/soundfont. What kind of music are we talking about?

I help u!

hey, send me demo and i record real drums for u!

but my mic not the best one...but i think it's ok!
my icq#: 163092823

i just wanted to say thanks to all of you (well most of you) that replied to this, this shows that their are some really nice people out there willing to help, i hope i can return the favor one day.

Give a try to the Yamaha DD-55. It's also a strike based drum set that you can play with either sticks or by hand. It runs about 230 dollars and has more than paid for itself in my demos and recordings of cover tunes. I swear by it. And lots of different drum "voicings" really makes this thing worth the dough.

Jimmy

I do with Fruity Loops and I think it's a great program for this task.

The only things I could say would be:
a) Get some good samples and perform your own drumkit, I usually open each sample and edit it with any waeditor (like CEP) in order to have the correct kick, the right snare and god cymbal sounds.
b) Design some loops but don't record the entire song loop-based 'cause it probably will suck and sound like a disco theme. Try to put between loop and loop a kind of a bridge, you don't need a complicated pattern, with a couple of hits it would be ok and will break the monotony.

Luck!

I noticed that you seem to be trying to add the drum tracks after you've done all the other parts... it also appears that you didn't use a click track (like a metronome to keep you in a steady constant beat) -- this makes it very difficult to program any type of drum beat since the temo isn't constant. Here's what you might want to do:

Find or program a beat that you like and then play along with it while you record

or

Re-record the song using a click track; make a note of the exact tempo. That way you can easily program a custom beat after the fact since you'll know the proper temo to use.

- Tanlith -

Back