Need Help on the order to order in????

stoctony

I knew that title would get you in here. OK I am ready for the next step. OK really my wife just said I could spend some more $$$. I just ordered a pair of MXL603 for my solo acoustic work.. Im good there. I pretty much have all the mics I need right now. My next purchase is between monitors( im using my MTX house speakers right now) or should my next purchase be a mic preamp?? I am running my mics through a 2024FX Behringer and straight into the comp and my recordings just dont sound as warm as I would like them to even with all the eq'ing i can do. I would like to be able to put out some decent quality recordings soon. What do you thing would be my best bet?? Thanks in advance

stockton

go for some good moniters
wouldnt u rather hear what u recorded accuratly then see if u actually need preamps?
anyway ull eventually get preamps to replace the behringer
goodluck

You should look to get both at some point. Is your sound not warm because the preamps or something else? Or is it warm but you cant hear it?
Buying preamps and monitors wont solve all your problems instantaneously but Id go for monitors first.

the amount depends on what I will buy. If a pre amp I am looking at about 200 and monitors about 3-350. I thought the answer would have been preamp. Good thing I asked you guys. Thanks as always

stockton

What's more important to a doctor - a microscope, or an antibiotic?

Both are important, but in terms of priority - you would have to say microscope because without it, the doctor could not diagnose whether an antibiotic remedy is needed, or something entirely different.

Same thing with monitors and pres - both are important to sound quality, but monitors are ABSOLUTELY critical - without them (your sonic microscope), how can you tell what you're hearing?

Even more important is not to skimp on the monitors, as so many do - if you've got a poor monitoring chain (the monitoring chain includes both the room and the speakers), then how can you ever differentiate between a bad-sounding track caused by the sound source, your tracking chain, or the monitors/room themselves?

Blue Bear Sound said:
. . . in terms of priority - you would have to say microscope because without it, the doctor could not diagnose whether an antibiotic remedy is needed, or something entirely different.

Actually, most doctors would send any samples to a lab to be analyzed by a medical technician (or in some cases, even a team of medical technicians). So in fact, a microscope is actually of little use to the doctor.

:D

...or just about any Behringer unit with the word PRO stamped on the front - can't get more pro than that - it's so PRO it even says right on the faceplate!

:p

Back