Need help on good podcast/commentary mic

Abnormalweeny

Hey guys i REALLy need help finding a new microphone.ATM i own a blue snowball but i want to upgrade to an xlr w an interface for better quality.I have looked at many mics but have no idea what will sound the best! My budget is $100-150

Heres why i dont like some of these mics

MXL 990-Too muddy
Blue Yeti-Too much like the snowball
At2020-too much sensitivity(maybe)
Samson C01U-IDK
SHure SM57-58-Seems too much like a live show mic not a podcast mic!

Please leave me the xlr mic that would be BEST for recording pod casts/commentaries!

THANK YOU

Does that $150 have to include the interface? If so, impossible except maybe by finding a good deal on second hand gear.

However, even if it doesn't, I'm not convinced a mic in the $100-150 range will be significantly better than the Blue Snowball (which, as USB mics go, isn't too bad).

If it was me, I'd keep using the Snowball, watch the usual suspects for a rather more expensive mic available second hand and, at the same time, save my pennies in case no second hand deals come up and you have to buy new--in the $300-500 range.

Hi there,
If the mxl990 is too muddy, you're talking into the back of it or there are other problems.
I'm not trying to be funny. It really is a bright, crisp, even harsh microphone.

Maybe you need to look at the sound of your room and how close or far you are from the mic?
Do you use eq at all? I end up doing a highpass on almost every voice/mic combo.

Personally, I'd pick a 58 and a decent preamp any day of the week.
I'd do podcasts or voiceover work with a 58 and presonus firestudio mobile no problem.
With your budget though, Bobbsy's right. Options are definitely limited.

At the risk of diverting this topic, I wonder if there are problems with the consistency of the MXL990s?

I say this because my experience is that, at least for a condenser, they have a dull, slightly muddy sound. I never owned any but had a friend with a pair back in the UK and we used to swap mics. I'd borrow them when I wanted something to tame over-bright sounds--sometimes drum overheads, maybe a not-so-nice sounding violin, that sort of thing.

That just doesn't match your description so now I wonder if different batches sound different or something.

Does that $150 have to include the interface? If so, impossible except maybe by finding a good deal on second hand gear.

However, even if it doesn't, I'm not convinced a mic in the $100-150 range will be significantly better than the Blue Snowball (which, as USB mics go, isn't too bad).

If it was me, I'd keep using the Snowball, watch the usual suspects for a rather more expensive mic available second hand and, at the same time, save my pennies in case no second hand deals come up and you have to buy new--in the $300-500 range.

No 150 not including preamp

I wonder if there are problems with the consistency of the MXL990s?

I appreciate that that's the first place you went, Bobbsy! ;)

Perhaps you're right. Admittedly I don't use mine a lot though, and my go to condensers are mk219 and sm81.
Maybe that's warped my perception of the 990 a little?

Apologies if that wasn't accurate, OP.

I appreciate that that's the first place you went, Bobbsy! ;)

Perhaps you're right. Admittedly I don't use mine a lot though, and my go to condensers are mk219 and sm81.
Maybe that's warped my perception of the 990 a little?

Apologies if that wasn't accurate, OP.

Any mic sugestions!

Back