Need help choosing a mixer

Nastaros

Hello, I need some kind of audio mixer for an unusual purpose.

I play video games on a console, and speak with people on my computer on discord at the same time. Untill now I have been using earphone for vocal and headphones over them for my game audio.

I need a mixer (or something) to hear both my console and my computer in the same headphones. The only thing I really really need is NO LATENCY on my game audio. Anything over 8ms might be too much latency.

There is so many different mixer I have no clue what to buy. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
A mixer will not have any latency. Any latency will be from your computer, soundcard and software. All you need are two inputs (do either or both need to be stereo?)

For your purposes a small Behringer mixer would likely suffice...they're at the very cheap end of the range but fine for your needs.

A couple of points:

Both your computer and games console will be Line Level inputs--make sure you can connect two line level sources (most mixers can).

Second, just make sure you can still connect you mic for your outgoing chat at the same time as having the incoming sound going to the mixer. If there are two separate sockets for in and out you should be fine but if it's a fancy multi jack with mic and headphones on the same connector, you may need some kind of adaptor or something.

they have to be stereo yes. Thanks for the answers, I was worried about latency.

I'm using a usb mic on my computer so I don't really need mic jack on the mixer

If you literally just want to combine two headphone outputs, and everything is conventional stereo 3.5mm, a cheap passive connector like this might do the job.

Sure, there's no volume control or anything but you can just balance the output volumes at the two devices. :)

I'm looking at Behringer web page, and they several type of mixer (Powered mixer, DJ mixer, Rackmount mixer, Digital mixer, Analog mixer, I/O interface)
The only 2 channel mixer i found is a DJ mixer. I'm not sure which one I really need. I don't care paying a little more to get good audio quality

If you literally just want to combine two headphone outputs, and everything is conventional stereo 3.5mm, a cheap passive connector like this might do the job.

Sure, there's no volume control or anything but you can just balance the output volumes at the two devices. :)

That would work for 1 output splitting into 2 headphones, not for 2 output going in 1 headphones, that could damage my computer and/or console

That would work for 1 output splitting into 2 headphones, not for 2 output going in 1 headphones, that could damage my computer and/or console
It honestly probably won't damage anything, but it also probably won't sound very good. Definitely not the right answer.

A DJ mixer would be more than enough for what you want to do.

Let's not over react, gentlemen.
It'll work and it'll sound fine.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine.
It might work and sound fine, but kind of only accidentally. If you already had the splitter laying around, it might be worth a shot. If you have to buy something anyway, might as well go with something that "definitely" will work and might be useful for other things as well.

i think the 302 would be perfect for me, because I'm already using composite cable, i don't have any 1/4 audio plug.

the 302 mix 2 stereo input right?

The 302 needs 1/4" phone plugs, too - you just need a stereo X 2 mono adapter cable.

Back