Nashville Tuning

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
How could I get a Nashville tuning on my guitar? I read that Nashville tuning is E4, A4, D5, G5, B4 and E5 where as standard tuning is E3, A3, D4, G4, B4 and E5. I don't see how tuning up a whole octave for some of the strings would be good for my guitar.

Ok, the two high strings stay the same (the high E and B). Remove the lower four strings from your guitar.

Now, you open a fresh set of light guage strings and you throw away the two low strings (the low E and A).

You're left with an E string, a B string, a G string, and a D string. These go on in place of your normal G, D, A and E strings as follow:

The new high E string goes in the G position and is tuned up to G (same note as the third fret on the first string).
The new high B string goes in the D position and is tuned up to D (same note as the third fret on the second string).
The new high G string goes in the A position and is tuned up to A.
The new high D string goes in the low E position and is tuned up to E (one octave below the high E string).

There ya go.

Haven't heard of this before, but couldn't you also buy a twelve string set and split it into a high pitched and standard set?

Well I don't quite do it Harvey's way, I simply use the high strings off a 12 string set at standard Spanish tuning. That's an octave up on the low E, A, D, and G strings...and a .009 G that can take the pitch.

The six strings left over can be used as a set of extra lights on a guitar set up for it.

mshilarious said:
Haven't heard of this before, but couldn't you also buy a twelve string set and split it into a high pitched and standard set?
That is the high pitched part of a Nashville tuning set. Standard 12 string is made up of one regular set, a duplicate high E and B, and then the strings I mentioned above.

Harvey Gerst said:
Ok, the two high strings stay the same (the high E and B). Remove the lower four strings from your guitar.

Now, you open a fresh set of light guage strings and you throw away the two low strings (the low E and A).

You're left with an E string, a B string, a G string, and a D string. These go on in place of your normal G, D, A and E strings as follow:

The new high E string goes in the G position and is tuned up to G (same note as the third fret on the first string).
The new high B string goes in the D position and is tuned up to D (same note as the third fret on the second string).
The new high G string goes in the A position and is tuned up to A.
The new high D string goes in the low E position and is tuned up to E (one octave below the high E string).

There ya go.

Or, just go to the store and buy singles of the octave stings from a medium gauge twelve sting set, which is what Nashville tuning is. The octaves from a twelve string set. On my Nashville guitar, it goes 0.012", 0.016", 0.010", 0.014", 0.020", 0.030". On mine, the only wound string is the low E (0.030"), but you could also use a wound 0.024" for the A string. If you are going to go wound, you want a heavier string, as it takes less tension to get a wound string up to pitch. You could go up or down a little on these gauges, but this is where I have found I like the sound. Any lighter, and the G string (huh huh hu... he said g-string) breaks within the first day or so of playing, and I don't play my Nashville guitar much. I haven't actually tried heavier, but you could give it a try.

I also just found that D'Addario makes a "High-strung/Nashville" set of strings. Theirs goes 0.010", 0.014", 0.009", 0.012", 0.018", 0.027". But like I said, I think that is too light.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

mshilarious said:

Yea, but then you are wasting half the set (twelve strings sets are lighter that 6 string sets, because, well, you have twice as many strings).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Yea, but then you are wasting half the set (twelve strings sets are lighter that 6 string sets, because, well, you have twice as many strings).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

We're not in a situation where you'd be changing strings very often for if you use the 12 string highs as I suggested, there's only one wound string. My plastic '54 Maccaferri is only used for recording and the strings are at least 10 years old.

Light said:

I see.

I'm still making payments on the set I just got for my 8 course lute . . .

I've never heard of nashville tuning, but I am now kinda interested to try it out. What sorta sound does this produce? Obviously a higher pitched sound, I realize...What songs would I know that have this tuning on it? is it normally used on Acoustics, electrics, or both?

andyhix said:
I've never heard of nashville tuning, but I am now kinda interested to try it out. What sorta sound does this produce? Obviously a higher pitched sound, I realize...What songs would I know that have this tuning on it? is it normally used on Acoustics, electrics, or both?

Originally it was used to double the acoustic rhythm guitar, sometimes with a capo for a different texture.....G at the fifth fret for C for instance. But it has a lot of other applications in fingerstyle also.

Never thought of trying it on an electric, that could be interesting for West African riffs and the like.

I have a Dean acoustic that is a good guitar, but just a little shallow. I strung it with the high set of a 12 string set (D'addario) and it is now beautiful. This tuning fits this guitar perfect. It's been that way for about 1 1/2 years.

As for what it's used for? I use it as an accompaniment. It's nice when i'm playing with a group that has more than 2 guitars; when i've got a duo song swap; as the lead over an acoustic rhythm; etc... A flavor. A very useful one in my opinion.

andyhix said:
By pitching the bottom four strings an octave higher, it moves them up to where there is no longer a conflict with most voices. It produces a wonderful and ethereal "chimy" sound, and doesn't require playing anything different since the tuning is still EADGBE.

Since the highest note in any chord will now be on the inside G string, it also creates beautiful new chord voicings that work very well on fingerpicked parts. We keep a small bodied parlor guitar and a dreadnaught here at the studio, both with Nashville tunings (it's also called a "high-strung 6").

Played together with a regular 6 and panned to the same place, it also creates a psuedo-12 string sound, or panned, a stereo 12 string.

You've just pointed out the new life for my 25 yo beaten up Takamine that has a lifting bridge that's not really worth fixing and I'm always afraid will snap in half when I restring it, but otherwise sounds and plays not too bad. Thanks guys..

I breathed new life into a Martin Backpacker using Nashville tuning and a set of SIT strings (see post above). And with a capo at the 5th fret, it sounds something like an autoharp!

Question, just curious but what does Nashville tuning do for you? I've never heard of it (that's why I checked out this thread). Just wondering what it is used for (I realize that the name probably implies something).

Listen to the intro to the Rolling Stones' Wild Horses: 2 acoustics, one standard, the other tuned in Nashville tuning, panned L + R. Very rich, chimey sound.

Nobody mentioned it, but Nashville tuning doesn't lend itself to "picking"; it works better for rhythm strums.

mshilarious said:
I see.

I'm still making payments on the set I just got for my 8 course lute . . .

I would think so!!! Nylon strings are bad enough for guitar, but when you start getting into odd instruments, it gets all that much worse, (sitar strings are like $70). I just sold a guy a set of autoharp strings which had been lying around the shop for years at the cost we priced them at when we got them (probably 10-15 years ago, at least), and they cost the guy $225. Today, they would have gone for about $450-500.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back