NAD! It got even louder over here.....

I was told by a reliable guitar tech that a very simple, (& readily reversible), mod to my Superbass would make it a Superlead. Mine bass amp and your lead amp look almost the same too - except mine has the red rocker switches for on/off & standby.
Now you have another type of throaty roar to add to the tonebank.
Congrats - enjoy.
Lots of guys mod the Super Bass into a Super Lead. Do that and use your attenuator or install a post phase inverter master volume and you'll be kicking out the jams! A common place for the master volume is the bottom right input or one of the speaker jack spots. That way you can go back to stock with no extra holes in the chassis.

That's just funny!

There was even an ad campaign with Nigel Tufnel touting how the 900s go to 20.

SpinalTap-JCM900.jpg

Man, I could've sworn I replied in this thread....anyway, congrats dude, I can't imagine having 3 half-stacks for recording dude, that's insane...but, you only live once, so you'd better make the most of it while you're on this crazy ride.....

Hope it checks out ok with your tech guy, but again, I just can't imagine having 3 half stacks dude....you know you're crazy, right??? I think the next amp you need to buy is a Marshall Major....the 200w model...LOL...

Let us know what the tech guy says about it Greg....

Man, I could've sworn I replied in this thread....anyway, congrats dude, I can't imagine having 3 half-stacks for recording dude, that's insane...but, you only live once, so you'd better make the most of it while you're on this crazy ride.....

Hope it checks out ok with your tech guy, but again, I just can't imagine having 3 half stacks dude....you know you're crazy, right??? I think the next amp you need to buy is a Marshall Major....the 200w model...LOL...

Let us know what the tech guy says about it Greg....
Thanks man. Yup, I'm crazy. I'm using them live too though. They're not just for recording. It's nice. My biggest problem is "which badass amp do I wanna use today?" :D

Holy crap dude. I'm sure it sounds great, but a little overkill for the room size?

Is it overkill to drink my own urine? Probably, but it's sterile and I like the taste.*

*Quote from Dodgeball.

It's overkill for pretty much any room size. I don't care. They're fun to look at, fun to have, fun to play, and sound killer.

Kickass. And the new one is 100 watts - that's gotta be loud
Thanks man. Yes, it is. It's loud as shit. It's at Steamboat Ampworks getting a PPIMV as I type this. I'm doing a gig at the White Swan on Jan 16. Please come check it out. I'll probably use the Plexi. :D

Nice Collection man. I really need a house so i can get some wattage in my room :(

Until then, Pod for me.

Haha, thanks dude. Yeah there's been a little war going on at this site about amps vs sims lately. I'm totally cool with people using sims and pods and shit at home for recording or jamming alone. The sim guys wanna take that shit out for playing live though, and they think it's better than amps. I say fuck that. Lame.

Thanks man. Yes, it is. It's loud as shit. It's at Steamboat Ampworks getting a PPIMV as I type this. I'm doing a gig at the White Swan on Jan 16. Please come check it out. I'll probably use the Plexi. :D
putting it on my calendar. I think that's my old lady's bingo night or something like that, but we'll duke it out.

putting it on my calendar. I think that's my old lady's bingo night or something like that, but we'll duke it out.

Cool. Bring the wife and the bingo crowd. The more the merrier. :D

P.S. - I aint with that one band you saw before. Lol. I quit those guys. I couldn't take it anymore. This is a different band.

That's a fine looking stable of amps man. If you keep posting pics of those things, you're going to end up convincing me that I need one too. Which I don't. But...I kinda do. I'm already close to blowing out my eardrums with a 30W 1x12 combo.

I have a Traynor 80W 2x12 that was a great value, but has its limitations. Then I picked up a Mesa Lonestar Special 30W 1x12, thinking that it was my dream amp, but it's more of a one-trick amp that sounds great for what it is. But these amps leave me wanting more, and I think that the hole in my heart is shaped exactly like a Marshall head and cabinet.

I just need to find the one that's right for my situation: lower wattage, smaller cabinet, home studio-compatible for the guy who doesn't gig or jam. I just play and record in a basement room in my house. But I'm scared that Marshalls that fit this bill don't sound like the classic Marshalls that we all know and love.

That's a fine looking stable of amps man. If you keep posting pics of those things, you're going to end up convincing me that I need one too. Which I don't. But...I kinda do. I'm already close to blowing out my eardrums with a 30W 1x12 combo.

I have a Traynor 80W 2x12 that was a great value, but has its limitations. Then I picked up a Mesa Lonestar Special 30W 1x12, thinking that it was my dream amp, but it's more of a one-trick amp that sounds great for what it is. But these amps leave me wanting more, and I think that the hole in my heart is shaped exactly like a Marshall head and cabinet.

I just need to find the one that's right for my situation: lower wattage, smaller cabinet, home studio-compatible for the guy who doesn't gig or jam. I just play and record in a basement room in my house. But I'm scared that Marshalls that fit this bill don't sound like the classic Marshalls that we all know and love.

Marshall does/did make one watt versions of their classics, but they're expensive and only made a limited run. I personally didn't particularly like them very much at first, but I have heard some really nice tones from them for recording. There's a member here "Minerman" that uses a DSL-1 (based on the JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead) and a few different 1x12s in an iso cabinet and he gets really convincing results. You'd think it's a full size rig if you didn't know better. I really like the JCM-1 myself. I think it does the best job at sounding like it's original beast counterpart, the JCM 800. Another member here, can't remember who, just got the JVM-1 (based on the modern JVM series) and put up a clip and it sounded pretty damn good. So yeah, the one watt Marshalls and an appropriate cab can get you recorded tones that will sound big and true to the Marshall sound if that's what you're after. And don't get it twisted, one watt wide open is pretty loud in a room by itself. You can't gig with it against a drummer and bass, but for recording it's pretty loud. They're also switchable down to .1 watt I believe, which is pretty quiet. There are also plenty of Class 5s still around for pretty cheap. They're pretty old-school sounding and take pedals well. And the new DSL line-up has a 15w head or combo version that I've played many times in stores and it sounds great. A few years back I was looking to go the small route but my choices for the Marshall sound was limited. Had the one watters or small DSL heads been available back then, I might have gotten one of them.....but still probably would have ended up with all this crazy mega-loud shit. Big and loud is the sound I like.

I've never owned a head + cab, but after having 2 combos nearly shake themselves to pieces, I'm interested in making my next amp a head/cab.

There are a couple Guitar Centers within a 30-minute drive of me, so I'll have to see if they have any of the low-watt Marshalls that you mentioned.

Just giving a quick glance at MF.com, and you're right: those little 1-watters are expensive for their size! Especially that anniversary edition DSL-1. The JCM-1 seems to be discontinued, or at least I don't see it on MF, sweetwater, etc.

That 15-watt DSL looks pretty nice though. I might try to single that one out for a tryout.

I've never owned a head + cab, but after having 2 combos nearly shake themselves to pieces, I'm interested in making my next amp a head/cab.

There are a couple Guitar Centers within a 30-minute drive of me, so I'll have to see if they have any of the low-watt Marshalls that you mentioned.

Just giving a quick glance at MF.com, and you're right: those little 1-watters are expensive for their size! Especially that anniversary edition DSL-1. The JCM-1 seems to be discontinued, or at least I don't see it on MF, sweetwater, etc.

That 15-watt DSL looks pretty nice though. I might try to single that one out for a tryout.

Yup, try em out. I think the DSL in any size/wattage is a great value for the Marshall sound.

Marshall does/did make one watt versions of their classics, but they're expensive and only made a limited run. I personally didn't particularly like them very much at first, but I have heard some really nice tones from them for recording. There's a member here "Minerman" that uses a DSL-1 (based on the JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead) and a few different 1x12s in an iso cabinet and he gets really convincing results. You'd think it's a full size rig if you didn't know better. I really like the JCM-1 myself. I think it does the best job at sounding like it's original beast counterpart, the JCM 800. Another member here, can't remember who, just got the JVM-1 (based on the modern JVM series) and put up a clip and it sounded pretty damn good. So yeah, the one watt Marshalls and an appropriate cab can get you recorded tones that will sound big and true to the Marshall sound if that's what you're after. And don't get it twisted, one watt wide open is pretty loud in a room by itself. You can't gig with it against a drummer and bass, but for recording it's pretty loud. They're also switchable down to .1 watt I believe, which is pretty quiet. There are also plenty of Class 5s still around for pretty cheap. They're pretty old-school sounding and take pedals well. And the new DSL line-up has a 15w head or combo version that I've played many times in stores and it sounds great. A few years back I was looking to go the small route but my choices for the Marshall sound was limited. Had the one watters or small DSL heads been available back then, I might have gotten one of them.....but still probably would have ended up with all this crazy mega-loud shit. Big and loud is the sound I like.

Not trying to de-rail your thread Greg, & I really appreciate the compliments (I couldn't have gotten these tones without you guys here helping me along...thanks!!!), but I absolutely love my DSL-1 H....yes, it was expensive for what it really is (I didn't pay the $800 for mine, I shopped around & found one for $600, but it's still expensive as hell...), but, the tones are really good IMHO, at a volume that can be used in the bedroom....I will say the red/ultra channel is a bit "fizzy" if you crank the gain pretty high, but all in all, it's a great little amp....This is the only 1w Marshall I've personally tried, but again, with some tweaking, different speaker combinations, mic placement, etc., the tones are there, without getting the cops knocking on your door, or in my case, I can play/record at 3 am, without waking the whole house up & pissing everyone off (which is priceless to me)....But, don't think this little amp isn't loud, in the 1w setting, cranked, it's definitely a Marshall, just "mini-me" sized compared to their big brothers (both size/construction & sound wise....these heads are about the size of the Marshall Micro-Stacks, & sound/volume wise, the only thing I have here to compare it to is a 15w Egnater Tweaker, the DSL-1 is probably about half as loud, just guessing...), I use a home-made ISO cab (you can see the top of it in the vid, the amp/cab are sitting on top of it) for pretty much silent recording (especially using the 0.1w mode, my wife's tv across the hall makes more noise)....

I couldn't decide on the DSL-1 or the JVM-1, as I wanted an fx loop (my original choice was the JCM-1, but no loop killed that for me), but in the end, I chose the DSL-1...I've heard the JVM-1 has more gain on tap, but, if I need more gain, I can always use a pedal, but really, my 'lil amp's got plenty...

They're getting harder to find AFAIK too, new anyway....Limited run, so if you want one, you might wanna pull the trigger on one of 'em, but IMHO, they're great little amps, even if they are expensive as hell....If I had the $$$, I'd own all of 'em except the JTM-1, it really doesn't interest me that much, but I've read that some guys love it, I'm more into the hard rock/80's hair metal thing myself, which could be done with the JTM-1 using pedals.....

Switchable power: 1w down to 0.1w (which is a godsend for me, especially late at night, using my ISO cab, pretty much silent...)
fx loop, 2 footswitchable channels (red/ultra= dirt...green/classic=clean) w/volume & gain knob for each channel (footswitch included), bass, middle treble, "deep" switch (adds bottom end), tone shift button (scoops the mids a bit, but not a lot)....

Here's a song I've been working on, not finished yet, but this'll give you an idea of the tones my setup has...Ibanez RG (w/Duncan CC bridge p'up) > DSL-1 H > Celestion V30 > Samson C0-1 mic...there is some post-processing done in the daw (like 'verb, delay, etc), but the guitar tones on this are all coming from my "stack" shown in the vid :)....

Greg: Did you get the plexi back from your tech yet??? Any news on anything he's found inside the amp while it's been away????

That JVM1 would be mine. I don't know what the market's like over there, but here the one watters are getting harder to find new, but shops are selling them off cheaper than RRP; I got the JVM 1 for £100 than the list price just before Christmas. I'm still sorely tempted by the JCM1 as well ;).

Back