NAD! It got even louder over here.....

Greg_L

Banned
My insanity continues while my hearing takes another beating. :thumbs up:

New amp...got it the other day but with the holidays haven't had a chance to really mess with it yet. 2001 Marshall Plexi 1959 SLP re-issue. 100 watts of pure unfiltered non-master volume crank it and hold on for dear life Marshall sonic destruction.

Arrival...

Ready to go right out of the box! Dimed! :thumbs up:

Pretty clean. Winged-C power tubes.

Not hand-wired, but still awesome.

With it's brothers

The whole family

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

You are going to have to crank it to get that pure Marshall roar. Aww too bad lol... Merry Christmas and congrats on a great choice of amp.

OK...that's three Marshall amps in a row. You're now entering collector status territory.
That's where medication no longer has any effect on your sickness.
From this point on, it can become a runaway train...and you could even be accused of hoarding, which means you could get your own episode on NatGeo.

:D

Good luck with the new amp!
I guess the price of used Marshall amps just went up again on eBay! ;)

Damn! Marshalls are too cool. You should try running one master head into the other two and power all 3 cabs. You could tear down walls.

OK...that's three Marshall amps in a row. You're now entering collector status territory.
That's where medication no longer has any effect on your sickness.
From this point on, it can become a runaway train...and you could even be accused of hoarding, which means you could get your own episode on NatGeo.

Good luck with the new amp!
I guess the price of used Marshall amps just went up again on eBay! ;)

Haha, thanks. Actually this my 5th one now. I bought and sold two JCM 900s before these. I am getting one more though. I want an early-mid 80s JCM 800. That will round out my collection of what I consider the best Marshalls ever. Super Lead - got one. 70s master volume JMP - got one. JVM 410 - got one. JCM 800 is next. I'm generally a good boy. I don't smoke or drink and I'm not a big party guy that goes out all night and shit. If big loud amps are my only vice, then that aint so bad, right?

Damn! Marshalls are too cool. You should try running one master head into the other two and power all 3 cabs. You could tear down walls.

I think the JVM could do that. I'm not sure. It can take a separate preamp and be used just as a power amp. It's got shit on that back of it that will accept rack gear and preamps and stuff. It also has 5 speaker outs. That's foreign territory to me. If I were to try that I'd rather just make some kind of splitter and run one guitar into all three of them at once.

I'm generally a good boy. I don't smoke or drink and I'm not a big party guy that goes out all night and shit. If big loud amps are my only vice, then that ain't so bad, right?

You know, I say the same shit when people look at my studio and ask why so many amps and guitars and stuff...?
"Well, I could spend all my time and money hanging out in bars....but I prefer this."

So please tell, as a Marshall know-how guy, which would you consider THE most classic "Marshall tone" amp model?

I've wanted to get one for a long time to add to my current amp roster...but there's many models, and unlike you, I don't want to go through a whole collection thing to find the right one! :)
I'm thinking something in the 50W-sub range, that way the Master Volume thing can be an option.
There's the '60s JTM45/50 years, with the KT66 tubes....and then the '80s, with the JMC800 years, with the EL34 tubes.
I think my choices would lean to one or the other of those models.
Anyway...just looking for that ultimate classic English rock crunch tone....which may not really be all that specific, as it has evolved over the years....but would like to get your opinion since you've already gone through some Marshall amps.

All I can say is Wow.... :)

A manly amp for a manly man!:guitar:
Ha ha thanks fellas.

You know, I say the same shit when people look at my studio and ask why so many amps and guitars and stuff...?
"Well, I could spend all my time and money hanging out in bars....but I prefer this."

So please tell, as a Marshall know-how guy, which would you consider THE most classic "Marshall tone" amp model?

I've wanted to get one for a long time to add to my current amp roster...but there's many models, and unlike you, I don't want to go through a whole collection thing to find the right one! :)
I'm thinking something in the 50W-sub range, that way the Master Volume thing can be an option.
There's the '60s JTM45/50 years, with the KT66 tubes....and then the '80s, with the JMC800 years, with the EL34 tubes.
I think my choices would lean to one or the other of those models.
Anyway...just looking for that ultimate classic English rock crunch tone....which may not really be all that specific, as it has evolved over the years....but would like to get your opinion since you've already gone through some Marshall amps.

Well I'm far from any kind of Marshall historian or anything. I'm just a hack that likes Marshalls buying up gear that I've always wanted. It's like my own little mid-life crisis. :D

For me, the best ultimate Marshall tones are the metal-faced JMP Super Leads of the early 70s going through the JMP 2203/2204s and up to the JCM 800s of the early 80s. Those are my favorites. Really raw, aggressive, crunchy, brutal classic Marshall power. This Plexi reissue I just got is a "Plexi" faced amp, but it's really based more on the sound of the metal-faced Super Leads. The original Plexis of the late 60s are darker, a little less aggressive.

For you, for your style, I would think a Bluesbreaker/JTM 45 would be just right for you. That's the original Marshall brit-crunch sound. Early Eric Clapton, early AC/DC, raw, kind of bright, a little aggressive, but not too much and they're definitely not high gain amps. They're expensive, but I think that might be the sound you'd want from a Marshall. They're available as reissues, and of course, the originals are still floating around. Get your wallet out. Another option that's less expensive and a little more versatile would be the Vintage Modern. I think they're discontinued and don't carry the magical mojo of a JTM45 but they're still everywhere on the used market and they're available as combos. They have KT66 tubes. The Vintage Modern is considered a "players amp". It's fairly no-frills and is designed to act somewhat like a jumpered Super Lead...but with a master volume. It has "detail" and "body" preamp volumes that somewhat act like the two channel volumes on a Super Lead. It also has reverb and can be kicked into a higher gain mode. A JCM 800 might be too bright and/or rambunctious for what I think you'd want to use it for. The JCM 800 is a great amp, one of the ultimate Marshalls IMO, but it really only does one thing, and that's rock very hard very loudly. But you could probably make one work for you. They're also available as combos in 50 or 100w versions. And they too are expensive. But I really do think the Bluesbreaker/JTM45 or Vintage Modern would suit you best. Keep in mind the Bluesbreaker/JTM45s have no master volumes, but a PPIMV mod is cheap and easy, or you can use an attenuator. The vintage modern does have a MV.

Has the column of volume been replaced by the Tower's of
Tone?

Super Nice! congratulations

Has the column of volume been replaced by the Tower's of
Tone?

Super Nice! congratulations

Thanks. The column of volume was hilariously ridiculous and over-the-top to look at, but in reality it was a pain in the ass to deal with and quite unstable. Lol. That bitch was ready to topple over at any minute. And now with 3 cabs and three heads, my ceilings just aren't high enough to contain the awesomeness. Having everything spread out a little more is much easier to play with and record.

The JCM 800 is a great amp, one of the ultimate Marshalls IMO, but it really only does one thing, and that's rock very hard very loudly. But you could probably make one work for you. They're also available as combos in 50 or 100w versions. And they too are expensive. But I really do think the Bluesbreaker/JTM45 or Vintage Modern would suit you best. Keep in mind the Bluesbreaker/JTM45s have no master volumes, but a PPIMV mod is cheap and easy, or you can use an attenuator. The vintage modern does have a MV.

Yeah....you're kinda telling me what I already suspected.

I would probably love the JTM45/Bluesbreaker flavor....though the thing I'm wondering is if I already have that tone with a couple of my current amps.
I get what you are saying about the JMC800...though that may not be necessarily a bad thing, the "one trick pony" tone if....I'm adding to what I already have.

I kinda went that route awhile ago with a Bogner Shiva....but at the time, I didn't have some of my other amps, and while the Shiva had this one great crunch tone....it also left me kinda hungry other crucnh flavors.
20/20 hindsight....I should have kept the Shiva (it also had great clean tone and reverb)...but selling the Shiva is what paid for and steered me toward a couple of my other current amps, which I love.

So thanks for your input....it certainly helps me focus better AFA getting a Marshall at some point....but damn, there's just SO MANY great tube amps out there these days, and I'm always lusting at like 5-6 brands/models at any one time! :D

Yeah....you're kinda telling me what I already suspected.

I would probably love the JTM45/Bluesbreaker flavor....though the thing I'm wondering is if I already have that tone with a couple of my current amps.
I get what you are saying about the JMC800...though that may not be necessarily a bad thing, the "one trick pony" tone if....I'm adding to what I already have.

I kinda went that route awhile ago with a Bogner Shiva....but at the time, I didn't have some of my other amps, and while the Shiva had this one great crunch tone....it also left me kinda hungry other crucnh flavors.
20/20 hindsight....I should have kept the Shiva (it also had great clean tone and reverb)...but selling the Shiva is what paid for and steered me toward a couple of my other current amps, which I love.

So thanks for your input....it certainly helps me focus better AFA getting a Marshall at some point....but damn, there's just SO MANY great tube amps out there these days, and I'm always lusting at like 5-6 brands/models at any one time! :D

The 800 does have a low input which is in a sense a "cleaner" way to play the amp. It tames the gain and fury and sounds much cleaner and quieter compared to the high input. In a sense it's like having a clean channel on the amp. My 1979 JMP 2204 (50 watt) is the same exact circuit as the early JCM 800s. Plugging into the low input really knocks the edge off, but to me, it's a little dull and kind of sterile sounding. If you think you'd like to try an 800, another option would be the JVM (the one in the pic with the million knobs). It's Marshall's modern flagship. It's got 4 channels, 3 modes per channel, and the whole thing is tonally based on the early Marshalls and the 800. It's a fine piece of equipment. It's got all the classic flavors of Marshall in one amp and it does so pretty damn convincingly. But while it does cover a lot of Marshall ground, it is still a Marshall and will only sound like a Marshall. It won't sound like an Orange or a Mesa or a Fender without some mods (it does get fantastic cleans though). It's very very versatile. Really, the only amp I need is the JVM. Having the Plexi, JMP 2204, and a future 800 is pretty redundant for me. I just want them because I want them. The JVM could really do it all if need be. It'll go from the cleanest clean all the way to the most pissed off overdriven roaring Marshall you've ever heard all in one amp.

I was told by a reliable guitar tech that a very simple, (& readily reversible), mod to my Superbass would make it a Superlead. Mine bass amp and your lead amp look almost the same too - except mine has the red rocker switches for on/off & standby.
Now you have another type of throaty roar to add to the tonebank.
Congrats - enjoy.

Back