Mystery: Two Tones (Ringing) In Old Digitizations

0degreesk

During the period from early 1998 to early 2001, I used my father's computer set-up to capture mixes of my songs and burn CDs. In a lot of these captures and burns, there are two tones that ring throughout. Recently, while rebuilding a website for all of my music and videos, I decided to finally address the tracks, and chose to use a notch filter in Logic Pro X. Attached is a screenshot of the filter displaying what I found. (In the screen shot, I'm actually adding gain so they're pronounced in the waveform.)

The louder of the two, which made the quieter sections of the music nearly unlistenable, centers around 2075 Hz. This is the only one I'd ever really known I was hearing. However, when I ran that filter on the tracks, I was then able to hear a second, quieter tone at 1037 Hz.

I can't remember a lot about the hardware. I know I was using Sonic Foundry Sound Forge on a PC, but I can't tell you anything about the sound card or anything. I was probably just running the master out of my Tascam Porta07 to a stereo mini input. I can't imagine it was an issue with the cord running across a power supply or something because the records span multiple sessions over a couple of years.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone out there has dealt with anything like this? This community has some great technical knowledge and I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.36.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.36.41 PM.png
    543.4 KB · Views: 4
I think the doubling (or halving) of the stated frequencies is saying something.. but I don't know enough to put 2 and 2 together on that one.

Back