ITAM 1610: The coolest tape recorder I've ever owned (or seen!)

janahdfrazier

Sorry for creating two posts about the same machine, but while the previous thread was seeking data, I just want to share my experience with this *super cool* machine and how I came into it.

From about 2015 to 2018 I recorded exclusively on my Tascam MS-16. I recorded a dozen or so records on it, but then made the shift to ITB exclusively. I've had this rule that if equipment doesn't get used in a year or so, it's time to let it go... a rule that I have since rescinded! In 2019, the MS-16 was sold, and the guilt and regret soon followed. A few months ago, I decided it was time to go out and find one for a reasonable price. I posted a "wanted" ad on Craigslist in Nashville (I live in Lexington, KY) and received two responses within a day or two of each other. There was a 30ips machine that was used to make just ONE record in the early 90's and put into storage. Asking price was $1500. The 15ips mod is easy enough and the hours were very low, so I made plans to drive to drive the 3 hours to Nashville.

The guy had A LOT of gear. I spent about an hour or so just chatting and looking at the equipment he had accumulated over the years, most of which was purchased in bulk from studios that were liquidating. He told me had an additional 1" 16 track tape machine called an "Itam", fully intact and in great condition, but non-functioning. I fell in love with the 1610 immediately, I had never seen anything like it before. I went home with both the MS-16 and the Itam.

The MS-16 has been sitting since I brought it home, as the Itam has been commanding most of my attention. The electrolytic caps all needed to be replaced in a bad way. Many transistors had bit the dust, probably from electrolyte leaking everywhere. There are certain tantalum capacitors on the channel cards that failed by shorting out entirely, which took awhile to track down, and also did some damage downstream. There were also many oxidized connections and cold solders that needed to be located and attended to. I'm happy to report that it is now (almost) fully functional! Several of the channel cards are still on the bench as I wait for parts, but the channels with cards record and playback, and the transport is working well. Next steps are addressing a pitch drift issue by rebuilding the capstan speed servo and getting a new pinch roller from Athan (they make them for this machine, believe it or not). I currently have the machine set up for CCIR at 15ips and it sounds wonderful. Not high fidelity by any stretch, but a very pleasing sound with a rich low end and slightly attenuated highs.

The form factor and simplicity of this machine is just wild. For a 1" machine designed in the 1970's, it is TINY. It really does feel a bit like a toy, but in the most charming way. The transport adjustments are minimal, but the tape glides smoothly through the path and the tension is just right. The pinch solenoid is loud, the transport slightly clunky and not what I would describe as "zippy", but it works well and stops when and where you tell it to.

Here's some pictures I took today after my first successful record and playback test. A work of art! And the remote is just *too* cool. I have a lot of literature that I will scan at some point, including some schematics not available on the net. I mostly wanted to share my story because there seems to be a serious lack of information, photos, or interest in these machines. Understandably so, as these are not "great" recorders. With unbalanced TS in/out at -10/dBm, underpowered "pancake" motors, and some questionable design choices most likely intended to meet a price point, it's not hard to see why the company eventually folded. However, if you want a 1" machine with a somewhat "exaggerated" tape sound and a small footprint, this thing is absolutely killer.

Enjoy!

Front.jpg
Side.jpg
Meters.jpg
Transport.jpg
Bay.jpg
Heads.jpg
Rear.jpgRemote.jpg
Head report.jpg
Invoice.jpg

Fantastic. Thanks for posting these! I have a bit of a soft spot for ITAM since they were one of several niche manufacturers. I believe they had their 1/2" 8 track out a year or two before TEAC did it - the ITAM 805 which was made from bits of Revox A77 modified to drive 1/2" tape. The 1610 was definitely a step above that.

I think these might be some of the first colour pictures of the 1610 I've ever seen.

Now the other real oddball machine from the UK was the Cadey 16-track from the early 1970s. That was 2" but used tubes in the electronics, and bits of bicycle in the tape transport. A punk label called Cargo Records had one for their studio and supposedly it sounded incredible if the channels were overdriven.

Incidentally, here's an advert for the ITAM which I bought and scanned some years ago

Attachments

• itam_1610-50pct.jpg
    itam_1610-50pct.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 16
The thing was the price - in 1983 twenty grand was a huge amount of money - as in like I bought my first house in 1980 for not much more than that!

Old mechanics is just such a cool thing to have. Who cares about what it can do, it's just how it does it that matters!

Back