My Townes Van Zandt cover...

zen_arcade

Dililttante.
This is the first recording I've made in a long time. It's also my first using new monitors, new mics, etc. It's a cover of a beautiful Townes Van Zandt song and I really don't do it justice; the timbre of my voice isn't to my liking, the doubled guitars aren't properly sync'ed, and no mere mortal could play Townes better than Townes. On the plus side, I think the mix sounds fairly good and I added a subtle string arrangement that I like. An audible level of noise comes in just before the first vocal line -- I suspect it's electrical noise from the computer (I played in the same room as the computer but positioned a large mattress between myself and the machine, reducing the noise dramatically but not enough), so that's a little annoying but I'd like to hear constructive criticism of the mix, so I'm posting it here.

"Tecumseh Valley"

You already mentioned all the negative things I noticed...the timing being probably the biggest to me, but I wanted to mention that I really liked this. Your voice has that emotive "real" thing about it that Townes had...plus, you're probably a better natural singer than he was.

I flew out to Nashville with Townes sitting next to me; that was about a year before he died. He'd played a gig in Lubbock the night before, his jeans were dirty, he was shakey, and he required a lot of screwdrivers on that flight that took off at 9 a.m.

Seemed like a really sweet guy with a really bad drinking problem...I didn't know a damned thing about him except that he'd written "Poncho and Lefty." I started becoming a fan the day I met him, and I wish to God I'd known about stuff like this song when God put me right next to him on a plane.

chrisharris - Thank you for the kind words. I should have given another take or two when doubling the guitar but I was just messing around on a Saturday afternoon and was more interested in putting together the mix (to test out my new mics and monitors) than turning in a top-notch performance. That said, I can't believe that anyone would enjoy listening to my voice -- I think it's programmed into each of us to absolutely detest the way our natural voice sounds. But really, I'm so flattered, thank you. A comparison to Townes himself is a little too hard for me to believe!

Fascinating and sad story about meeting him as well. I recently ordered the documentary that was made about him Be Here to Love Me and by all accounts it's thoroughly depressing; like a lot of unbelievably gifted artists, he apparently was a very difficult person to be around much of the time. Of course I know nothing about that but thankfully he left us all of these wonderful songs.

A great clip...

Here's a great clip of Townes playing "Waiting Around to Die" from the film Heartworn Highways. He brings his old blacksmith neighbor to tears. Just saw this and thought I'd share.

Great choice of material. The ending is very moving, despite the out of synch guitars, and the vocal performance is outstanding. It takes courage to cover TVZ, it would be good to hear this redone, but I wouldn't touch the vox at all.

Flangerhans - Thanks very much! I think rather than re-tracking the guitars I'll probably just go ahead and try another song, maybe "Rake" or "Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel", two of my favorites. I'd love to try "Waiting Around to Die" but I'm not a proficient enough finger-picker; it'd be embarrassing. Thanks for listening!

like your voice

zen_arcade said:
chrisharris - That said, I can't believe that anyone would enjoy listening to my voice --

I agree with Chris...your voice fits that style of song. Thanks for the post.

edit: I just listened again. You are a "storyteller" bro. There is a genuine quality to your singing that makes me "feel" the story.

Last edited:
Back