My studio construction thread

Here's the front of the room, with the elevated floor section. You can see all the wires coming from the walls into the center. My desk will be built into the elevated floor section, with these wires feeding right up into it. (BTW--the desk will be counter height; I like my kitchen island, I like my counter in the workshop--and they're counter height. Besides, when you're recording yourself, it's easier to work with gear at counter height when you're standing with a guitar.)

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 994
And finally...sheetrock!!! This is looking up into the front right corner of the room. This was yesterday. We've since sanded and added another coat of mud.

Attachments

• drywall.jpg
    drywall.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 983
Good luck and have fun with it. Yup, gotta get another lava lamp and don't forget the red Recording light....

:D

I love the light! Is that wire into your rig to come on when you hit the red button, or do you have to remember to turn it on?

If it's the latter, I might just be tempted to turn it on and take a nap while my wife leaves me alone. (My snoring might blow that plan, though.)

Sheetrock never looked so purty eh?:D

Ain't that the truth? I just now (like my hands are still wet from rinsing out the roller and the brush!) finished priming one wall. It took way longer than I thought--and more primer than I thought. The plain sheetrock really sucks up the primer--gonna have to get a couple more gallons.

But until it was covered in primer, I couldn't get an idea of how well the sheetrock turned out. And let me tell you--it turned out great. My son did as good (if not better) a job than the guys I hired 5 years when we built this house.

He had a road trip--just left this afternoon--and his goal was to get the sheetrock up, all mudded, taped, sanded and texture applied before he left, so the ol' man could prime and paint while he's gone. I just texted him to tell him how good a job he did.

Damn...that's lookin good man. :drunk:

Tell yer son I tip a beer in his direction too. :drunk:

I like the elevated section for the desk. Good idea. I know exactly what yer sayin about pushin buttons on a lower desk with a guitar slung around ya.

And the snake thru walls idea is cool too. I just started rippin down bass traps to hang elsewhere and got some material on the way to build 4 more plus 2 traps I got from GIK and as my room sits in shambles...waiting....the cords are buggin the shit outta me. They're freakin everywhere!
But, my hindsight is 20/20. :o
And I'm too lazy to totally rip shit apart. :D

diggin da pics dude. ;)

Hey strat..my console wristpad is right at 36". I know what you mean about standing. My console is at a perfect height when I'm playing with friends or by myself. But most of the time, I'm sitting down at the console. Best thing I ever did was buy a couple of contemporary DRAFTING CHAIRS. They work perfect. They even have a footrest ring too. And their adjustable. Got them both at a yardsale for $20. Anyway, its a suggestion...us old farts have been known to sit once in a while.:D But these put you up at counter height.

Hey strat..my console wristpad is right at 36". I know what you mean about standing. My console is at a perfect height when I'm playing with friends or by myself. But most of the time, I'm sitting down at the console. Best thing I ever did was buy a couple of contemporary DRAFTING CHAIRS. They work perfect. They even have a footrest ring too. And their adjustable. Got them both at a yardsale for $20. Anyway, its a suggestion...us old farts have been known to sit once in a while.:D But these put you up at counter height.

Exactly--36". What's been my desk for the past 3 years is 36"--it's a 2x4 workbench frame with a slab on top. I enlisted it a couple years when I rebuilt some workshop counters. I fell in love with working in the studio at that height as well.

But I've just been using an extra stool from the workshop--no back or anything. And believe me, I'm old enough to sit--for hours at a time on that dumb thing. So thanks for the heads up on the drafting chair.

I fell in love with working in the studio at that height as well.
Only bad thing, is if your monitors are on a higher bridge, like right in a null. I don't know how high you have your monitors or how high your ceiling is, but you don't want your monitors half way between ceiling and floor. You might have to raise your monitors past the half way point and angle them downward. btw, what are you placing your monitors ON. You might want to plan on leaving a hole in the platform sheithing, to build a stack of CMU (concrete blocks) directly on the slab for monitor stands. And then float your monitors on a decoupling pad. The mass of the concrete and the decouplers eliminate structural transmission to the rest of the house..and to your platform via the console, which will act like a membrane(if you are planning on sitting the monitors on part of the console). One other thing, are you dampening the sheithing in the platform....ie...overstuffed with insulation or sand? Might be a good idea. Those voids will resonate at a certain frequency relative to size of the void. Whether or not these resonances can be heard, why take any chances.:D
fitZ

Only bad thing, is if your monitors are on a higher bridge, like right in a null. I don't know how high you have your monitors or how high your ceiling is, but you don't want your monitors half way between ceiling and floor. You might have to raise your monitors past the half way point and angle them downward. btw, what are you placing your monitors ON. You might want to plan on leaving a hole in the platform sheithing, to build a stack of CMU (concrete blocks) directly on the slab for monitor stands. And then float your monitors on a decoupling pad. The mass of the concrete and the decouplers eliminate structural transmission to the rest of the house..and to your platform via the console, which will act like a membrane(if you are planning on sitting the monitors on part of the console). One other thing, are you dampening the sheithing in the platform....ie...overstuffed with insulation or sand? Might be a good idea. Those voids will resonate at a certain frequency relative to size of the void. Whether or not these resonances can be heard, why take any chances.:D
fitZ

More good stuff--thanks Rick. I had thought of filling the cavities in the platform. I was gonna go with the overstuffed insulation. I've worked on a wooden platform before, and although it was much taller than mine, it resonated horribly, so I'll want to avoid that.

But the null thing...hmmm...as a matter of fact, my monitors will be damn close to vertical center. My knowledge of nulls, is well, null. What are the implications of that placement?

Thanks,

WS

Lookin' good Mr. Strat!!

Man, I don't know why, but I thought for sure you built a studio behind your house a couple of years ago.... maybe that was Greg L.??

Some important details coming together. Notice three things in the following pic: 1) The wall is finished--no more mud & tape, now nice & painted; 2) Where there once was a blue snake cable coming out of the wall, there is now a 16 channel panel (there'll be one of those on each wall); 3) There's a working outlet! Okay, there's actually seven of them. Man it's nice not to be running everything off an extension cord running through the door.

Attachments

• wall_progress.jpg
    wall_progress.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 577
And an iPhone pic of the panel in the midst of soldering. I hate soldering--but I'm getting good at it. 48 out of 288 joints now soldered!

Attachments

• soldering.jpg
    soldering.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 577
I hate soldering--but I'm getting good at it. 48 out of 288 joints now soldered!

Watch those solder fumes if you are using the 60/40 stuff....it can really irritate your sinuses/lungs...but I like the 60/40 better than the non-lead type...just seems to flow better and stick better.
A small fan does the trick.
I did all my TT patchbays by hand...what a bitch...several hundred patchbay points, plus I had to solder the connectors on the opposite ends of all the snakes! :eek:
It was like 2-3 weeks of endless soldering... :(

For the last year, I've been entertaining the idea of changing my studio layout around...and the only thing that stops me is the thought of having to redo all those snakes...as they were cut-to-length for my current setup in order to keep things neat-n-clean.

Small bit of advice with the cabling that you are running throughout the walls/flooring...
Run more than you need now...'cuz it won't be easy to add any later as your gear changes/expands.

Even with all that unpleasant work…I know it’s a great feeling setting up a new studio space. I’m sure you’re enjoying the ride. :)

Back