My studio build

Looking forward to the new pictures... I'm currently wiring my patch bays as well... do you have a wiring plan on how you're doing your patch bays? I know signal flow usually goes from the Outputs on the top to the Inputs on the bottom but curious how other people are using them.
I love patch bays. I asked the same question a while back and the answer was... it's a personal choice. I did a diagram using illustrator but I can tell you, as I've had hands on and started wiring, quite a bit has changed, but it was a good place to start. Here is the one I did:
studiowiringdia_1d.jpg

I love patch bays. I asked the same question a while back and the answer was... it's a personal choice. I did a diagram using illustrator but I can tell you, as I've had hands on and started wiring, quite a bit has changed, but it was a good place to start. Here is the one I did:
View attachment 118494
Don’t know about the routing ( didn’t blow up the pic enough) but it sure looks nice. I’m sure these extremely clean diagrams can be useful.

Don’t know about the routing ( didn’t blow up the pic enough) but it sure looks nice. I’m sure these extremely clean diagrams can be useful.
It was a good starting point and it also started me thinking about how it all ACTUALLY works. Then it led me to the questions that you and Sweetbeats were so benevolent to offer answers that WORKED great! I just removed the AUX 1/2 from the patch bay, went direct from AUX 1/2 to EFX unit, then out of it to the patch bay and using patch cables have it feeding channels 17/18 on the M-520. Works great! Thank You!

Next up tomorrow is finally getting all the SND/RCVs connected to a patch bay, connecting my Tascam 388 to a patch bay, and connecting the rest of my outboard gear (Compressor, Tube Preamp, and a few other items I wanted to play with.) Still debating how I want to connect the Cassette/CDR, Teac 32-2B 1/4” 2 track mastering deck as well. All in good time.

I’m really enjoying the M-520 as the heart of my studio, it’s superb and I’m in love!

New Pics as my studio ”evolves”. I built that little “face up” side car and it’s working great, no more getting down on hands and knees to configure!
View attachment 123827
View attachment 123830
View attachment 123833
Damn that is a LOT of gear in a very tidy space...Gotta admit it almost makes we want to puke because I am such a hot mess unorganized slob.

VERY Nice set up.... Howsabout posting some recordings from this amazingly cool studio set up? Curious of the end results.

Damn that is a LOT of gear in a very tidy space...Gotta admit it almost makes we want to puke because I am such a hot mess unorganized slob.

VERY Nice set up.... Howsabout posting some recordings from this amazingly cool studio set up? Curious of the end results.
Working on it! Finally starting to get some time at the end of our tourism season here, then i go and break my (dominant) hand!! A few more weeks recovery. Still so much to test and calibrate, honestly, I’m in way over my head. This whole studio started out as a simple music room and along the way I came across some deals I couldn’t resist on the vintage console and recorders and the focus changed. I really just enjoy sequencing synths and playing guitars (etc), recording is going to take me some time. But it’s a hobby and I have a lot of gear to learn, plenty of fun to be had over time!

Very neat and tidy indeed. But...... how do you get to your Tele and cords? No walk around room.

Sucks on the broken hand

Reactions: TAE
I don't know, Ace. If you took that little sofa chair out, you might be able to squeeze a Marshall stack with a Plexi head in that space... On second thought that might be a bit too much amp for the room. :unsure:

That desk for the mixing board and monitors looks really nice. Well done, sir!

Very neat and tidy indeed. But...... how do you get to your Tele and cords? No walk around room.

Sucks on the broken hand
I think the wide angle lens makes it look like it's really way over there but the tele is just within arms distance since I use all the patch cables and patch bay easily over there, there's plenty of room to move around. It's just me, occasionally one other (usually my wife, hence the sofa chair!) so space was never going to be huge.

The hand is healing, giving me plenty of time to learn more about my equipment and ready for when I can play again. Playing keys is actually great physical therapy while I heal, just a little at a time.
:)

Reactions: RFR
Not a thing out of place. I guess you don't play that top keyboard where it is.
Like the little couch. Your guests need to be comfoetable, while they admire your setup.

I love the new face up sidecar... very slick! As well as the new corner sofa chair instead of the old chair. I see you've removed the black wire shelves (which is pretty much what my basement studio is made of) to make some better (interior decorating/style) shelf space with room for the sidecar underneath. Love it. Thanks for posting updated photos. I've finally got my little under desk rack setup/patchbay up and running myself and I'm working on my little (DAW/MIDI) foot controller board now. Should be installing my new Workstation this week as well and while it'll never be as clean or as fancy as your space... you do give me inspiration in my own space. Thanks. :)

The top one under cover is a newly acquired Akai AX-80, it’s going to need some soldering to get the buttons working again, a known issue. Then a new battery, new eprom OS upgrade that will allow for MIDI sysex patch loading and it will be ready to put into action. I have everything MIDI’d though to my master keyboard, the Kronos 2. Some respond to patch changes better than others, some I just have to dial them in to the patch I want and then play on the master. I’ve been using MIDI since 1986 back when we would use a Mac SE 30 and Cakewalk to sequence. Oh how times have changed but MIDI still works great!

That faceup sidecar was something I had researched online, found a few for sale, about $800 shipped. So I built that one for about $120 total (I already had the rack rails), and a few hours of work… so in an effort to save money, it was during it’s construction, drilling a 2.5” hole on the back side for cable management that I broke my hand using the hole saw drill!! Lesson learned, always use 2 hands while doing that. So that $120 sidecar actually cost me more like $1000 in ortho visits and 6 weeks recovery!! ha ha! I may just order one online next time! ha ha!

Not sure how I missed that little Racer Green Vox Mini Super Beetle last time I saw this thread. I've got one too. It's my Godzilla Amp. ;)

Not sure how I missed that little Racer Green Vox Mini Super Beetle last time I saw this thread. I've got one too. It's my Godzilla Amp. ;)
I love that little thing! After years of playing super loud AC15 and other tube amps, I got that for xmas from my lovely wife and got the message (ha ha). I was super suprised at how good it sounded at low volumes.

Like the little couch. Your guests need to be [comfortable], while they admire your setup.
The second keyboard from the left gives a fantastic happy ending.

Very clean setup. I'm in the opposite direction, very little outboard gear and almost all virtual at this point. Let's have a song-off sometime, see if anyone can tell who's using what gear. ;)

Back