My studio build

flyingace

So I started this project last April when I ordered a 10x12’ building to finish out into a studio in our backyard. In august the company had failed for over a month to deliver it, and refunded my money. I ordered a building from EZPortableBuildings out of Kentucky. It was delivered in November. Electric finally went in January and the past few days we got the insulation, ceiling and lighting in. Next the walls go up, Mini Split HVAC and floor. Can’t wait to get it wired up. I’ll continue posting pics as I get it completed.
8783E5EC-50CE-490C-BCBC-98478AB68511.jpegD85BBA08-8AAD-487B-BA4A-4B16558C287E.jpeg

Last edited:
You should put a vapour barrier over the insulation and studding before you put up that internal cladding, because condensation will collect there. Also why have you doubled up on the timber uprights in places?

You should put a vapour barrier over the insulation and studding before you put up that internal cladding, because condensation will collect there. Also why have you doubled up on the timber uprights in places?
Down here in the south, it’s not recommended as much. The paper backing acts as a vapor barrier. We own 7 cottages and 4 motel rooms and know our climate pretty well. This studio will always have hvac running to keep it temperate year round and dehumidify/humidify as needed.

Down here in the south, it’s not recommended as much. The paper backing acts as a vapor barrier. We own 7 cottages and 4 motel rooms and know our climate pretty well. This studio will always have hvac running to keep it temperate year round and dehumidify/humidify as needed.
Thats ok do what you want but to correct you a little.

The vapour barrier is not to protect the insulation which the paper backing is wrapped around as you refer.

Vapour barriers were a requirement to install because it was found on timber frame buildings that water vapour most probably through condensation will get through cracks and around electrical fittings and collect on cold spots usually around timber joints and then rot the timbers. Nothing to do with insulation.

On the point of your hvac. Do you know how to make a silencer that works for your studio that works? You will need two......One in and one out.

Or are they not required?

Don't worry about vapour, the termites will getit first. (just joking)
Looks very nice.
Is 10' by 12' going to be big enough?
You must have planned what's going in where.

Now that has been resolved, let's get back to the post. I should have more of the walls up today. Can't wait to get the floor in so I can start loading in my equipment.

Hey, all I did was offer some help on more than one subject involved in studio building of which I know a little. If thats not wanted, then no problem, but sarcastic put downs to info offered will only attract similar in return.

Last edited:
In the UK, it's pretty common to wrap the outside timber frame with the vapour barrier, then add the cladding. Just different ways, with our damp weather and rain, the insulation can get damp with the condensation forming on the inside of the outer skin - which dampens the insulation. Just country differences.

Is the inside surface ordinary tongue and groove timber? Not very common. I assume you are off the beaten track so no outside noise to stop getting in or any neighbours to moan about noise getting out?

I’m not planning to do “professional” work and if some outside sounds gets in, so be it, part of the process for my space. Some people take all this way too seriously, AND that said, for good reason, when money is on the line and they are looking for a certain professional outcome, of course you would want to make sure it’s all done PERFECT.

I’m in my 50’s, this is a second chance to do something I love, working with old analog gear and building a designated space. When we lived in suburbia, before moving to a tourist town and buying an hotel, we had a big 3500 sq ft house where my wife and I and kids all had our own spaces. I had a great little midi/digital studio back then. Even then, I wasn’t too worried about all the sound modifying or insulation or absorbers/traps. I had one behind my monitors and a cloud one above me. worked great! But now, our owner‘s quarters are tiny and not enough room. So it’s been 3 years that I’ve had most of my gear in storage. In the 90s I worked at a professional analog recording studio, I learned that way and loved it.

Building this studio on our property is a chance to get back to it and enjoy it – just for me. It’s a prebuilt “portable” building that I had built for me with a company in Kentucky, delivered to our site pad, insulated underneath, now insulated inside, electric and using shiplap as my walls. I consulted with the company that built it, local inspector and builders as to how to finish it out. They are all in agreement that what I’m doing for our climate and my needs is just fine. The building is built strong, we live in a quiet town and I’m not going to be pumping LOUD sound here at all. it’s low level recording. Any electric guitar work will be DI from my Line 6 Helix into the board. You don’t have to get loud to record music, you don’t have to have a dead silent room to get good results. in fact, I’m hoping that I’ll have a lively little room that only needs some bass reflection correction.

I realize that I didn’t preface this thread with my entire history, my experience, my knowledge and that I didn’t just throw money at this thing without consulting experts, and thinking it through. The fact that I’ve had to explain all this just shows that the point of posting this thread has been lost on some. I was just hoping to share what I am doing, based on my needs. I wasn’t looking for advice or criticism but it appears that some people just can’t help themselves and be happy for another human being with similar interests (home recording) building something for their needs.

In the UK, it's pretty common to wrap the outside timber frame with the vapour barrier, then add the cladding. Just different ways, with our damp weather and rain, the insulation can get damp with the condensation forming on the inside of the outer skin - which dampens the insulation. Just country differences.

Is the inside surface ordinary tongue and groove timber? Not very common. I assume you are off the beaten track so no outside noise to stop getting in or any neighbours to moan about noise getting out?
It appears to be across the board Rob even warm countries. If I remember water vapour in the air of which there is lots, will turn to condensation when the temp hits 35 degrees Fahrenheit. I know there is lots of water breathed out by us. If the room isnt ventilated well, then that water accumulates in the coldest places, but even so it gets into everything.

FlyingSpace I love for anybody who has a go themselves and not at all criticizing anybody. As someone who built a varied studio and soundbooth myself, all I was doing was trying to help and not make digs because of my own similar experience. I will bow out.

Last edited:
I remember a home outdoor office firm telling people not to get too worried about condensation prevention, because the physics is sensible and proven , but there is a huge problem. All the treatments rely on NOT having a door to get in! Open the door when there is a temperature differential, and condensation happens.

Walls finished, slat wall up. Next is trim work, paint, HVAC install and floor. I’ve got 8 sets of the keyboard arms for synths to hang on the wall. Got a good echo going on in there so I’ll likely be adding some kind of treatments. I have several bass traps and a cloud above mixer already, but I’m thinking the corners might need a little help. As I learned at my recent tape camp session in Nashville, it’s best to get everything in there before treating and since I’m not looking for a dead room, I might be pleasantly surprised with what I get!

494C7FC7-57D5-4DFE-92C0-BAF4E6FBEAC2.jpeg

13AC4D9C-BCE6-4D59-9138-9818F6E3C7E1.jpeg

Back