My studio build

The cabinet was designed, as the guy who built the desk told me, as a CPU cabinet but with an iMac, I wont need it for that. I think I’ll end up building a shelf in there, maybe a slide out one to store something? Not sure yet.
Definitely looking at getting a shelf for the keyboard but with that big arm rest bolster and the way it’s constructed, it won’t work like normal sliding shelves, so I’m looking at the extendable arm style that will tuck up and out of the way. We’ll see. It’s all a work in progress!
Turn it into rack space. For storage you can always get one or two of those rack drawers.,

guaranteed that with having that desk, you’ll be getting analog outboard gear.
It’s nice having racks on both sides as you’re working.

Turn it into rack space. For storage you can always get one or two of those rack drawers.,

guaranteed that with having that desk, you’ll be getting analog outboard gear.
It’s nice having racks on both sides as you’re working.
BTW, I have a keyboard arm style tray on the way now, should alleviate that problem.
I’ve considered it, but the left hand side has enough room for my 3 compressors, MFX unit, Preamp, EQ for mastering, and a cassette deck/CDR, plus another power conditioner. If I expand beyond that, I’ll consider opening up the right side.
I just want to get my first wiring out of the way soon, so I can then start final wiring and clean up, then get to playing again!

Didn’t get much done the past few days, this is our busy season in the hotel business. But yesterday our housekeeper showed up so I could make a few things. A shelf for the Tascam 388 and a rack for patch cables.8B74F5F4-7981-4F00-A351-4386A9C902F7.jpeg
C55CF503-625C-447E-93DA-49DE3F1897DB.jpeg

My stock response as to why I'm stuck doing housework and yard work is that the yardboy ran off with the maid! When I suggest that I should get married again, so I have someone to do the laundry and dishes, I get dirty looks.

Haha lucky you!

Not for what you did, but that you have a housekeeper ;)
Well, she is part Time to clean 11 rooms but not our house!! Plus, I still do all the room clearing after guests leave and all the laundry (about 25 loads a week, not including our own personal laundry!!)
My stock response as to why I'm stuck doing housework and yard work is that the yardboy ran off with the maid! When I suggest that I should get married again, so I have someone to do the laundry and dishes, I get dirty looks.
”buy a hotel” they said, “it’ll be fun” they said… ha ha It’s a lot of work 9 months of the year (the season), 18 hours a day sometimes, 7 days a week. Then for the 3 months “off season” is getting busier here plus we usuallly do renovations during that time, so the work never stops. That said, we work for ourselves, we are growing our investment and 10 years from now we will sell and make a lot of money back if the market holds up as it seems to be. We have a great town with a great ad agency getting us guests from further away that ever.

Got the 388 in place. Not my favorite way to handle it but for now, it’s in there and safe. As many of your know, it’s hefty, so it might be a little while before I can get to plugging it all in to use. Honestly if I hadn’t gotten such a good deal on the MS-16 and M-520, I would have just stopped with this awesome unit.
5E206C61-C32C-4E07-9EF1-F0A4AF0F0DB4.jpeg
662B79ED-6C81-4E27-8A2E-693FD8B98E81.jpeg

Hope you’re not in earthquake country. 😂

In southern Ca, I’d never put that on a shelf right over the tape machine.

So, can you still get to the deck? Or do you roll it out for use?

Hope you’re not in earthquake country. 😂

In southern Ca, I’d never put that on a shelf right over the tape machine.

So, can you still get to the deck? Or do you roll it out for use?
I thought about that, it’s pretty solid. Those 20” shelf brackets hold over 500lbs, are attached directly to studs with 3.5” screws (x3 ea. side) And the shelf is 3/4” plywood That is thru bolted to the brackets. BTW, I tested the shelf by standing on it. I weigh 177lbs. Not a creak or groan, solid. I placed the brackets off center on purpose since the most of the 388 weight is on the right hand side. Seems pretty solid and although there are occasionally earthquakes in the Midwest region, nothing like California. Also, as I said, not my favorite solution but for now…
Yes, the MS-16 is on wheels but honestly, once spooled up, no need. Heads are still accessible as is and all the adjustments are in the front lower panel. I plan to put some lighting under the shelf Too.

I thought about that, it’s pretty solid. Those 20” shelf brackets hold over 500lbs, are attached directly to studs with 3.5” screws (x3 ea. side) And the shelf is 3/4” plywood That is thru bolted to the brackets. BTW, I tested the shelf by standing on it. I weigh 177lbs. Not a creak or groan, solid. I placed the brackets off center on purpose since the most of the 388 weight is on the right hand side. Seems pretty solid and although there are occasionally earthquakes in the Midwest region, nothing like California. Also, as I said, not my favorite solution but for now…
Yes, the MS-16 is on wheels but honestly, once spooled up, no need. Heads are still accessible as is and all the adjustments are in the front lower panel. I plan to put some lighting under the shelf Too.
👍🏼

Not much happening lately, busy days at work. But today I was able to connect all (minus the new Juno-X that's on pre-order!) my synths today. The wires don't look near as bad as someone mentioned here in this thread. I will even do more bundling after I'm sure this arrangement is working for me. It's nice to have them all connected: power, audio AND MIDI! I eliminated 3 keyboards and have them listed to sell (Roland Jupiter 50, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-3000), let me know if anyone is interested and i'll send you the reverb links.
IMG_7420.JPG

No real updates but new photos tomorrow as I finish up more wiring on patch bays and outboard gear. Trying to make room for one of the synths I didn’t want to sell (wasn’t selling!), the Ensoniq ESQ-1 on my synth wall. Still much to do but day by day I am more and more in love with my M-520 console. It is truly the heart of my studio!

Looking forward to the new pictures... I'm currently wiring my patch bays as well... do you have a wiring plan on how you're doing your patch bays? I know signal flow usually goes from the Outputs on the top to the Inputs on the bottom but curious how other people are using them.

Back