My studio build

I hear this comment from other people, and really don't understand it. Being digital doesn't mean you have to work on your own, any more than having a 16 track means you have to play with a band. McCartney did his first solo album on his on, playing all the instruments, and did it with tape.

If I could get a bunch of people together, I would plug a dozen or so mics in, fire up Reaper and hit Record, just the same as you would with a tape. I can add EQ and compression to the interface if I needed. I just wouldn't have to wait for the reel to rewind! Unfortunately, all the folks I used to make music with have scattered away (or passed away). I don't hang around with musicians much anymore, so it's become a more solitary process. It's not because of tape or digital. It's because of people.

.... and yeah, I love the look of a desk full of knobs and faders.
What you speak of is true. The same process can be used with tape or digital.

However, having unlimited tracks and all the bells and whistles of a daw can often promote ‘playing with your toys’.

Whereas having limited options ‘forces’ to a degree more of the old ways of recording.

Get a bunch of people in a room and play some music.

To elaborate a bit more..... technology to a degree causes laziness.

You’re in your home studio. Working to a click track, everything locked to a grid. You send the files to your buddy. They add their parts (to a click, locked to the grid)

This gets sent to the other players.

While it’s ‘convenient’, you’ve lost the magic of a bunch of musicians all playing together in real time interacting with each other.

While it’s ‘convenient’, you’ve lost the magic of a bunch of musicians all playing together in real time interacting with each other.

But if Mike is in NC, Joe is in CO, Ted is in CA, and Steve is in Tx, then it's just me and Bill left. Not a lot of interacting is going to take place. BTW, when I got my first digital recorder, I took it to band practice, set it on the pool table, plugged in the mics and hit record. (Still have those recordings, bad as they are). It was nice because it all fit in a nice aluminum tool case from Harbor Freight. It was a lot lighter than when I carried my Dok 8140 down to the auditorium to record a concert, or to my buddy's basement. I can still load up my R24 and do the same.

In this respect, I completely disagree with Marshall McLuhan that The Medium is the Message. The medium is merely a means of capturing the message. Whether you are doing a movie on 70mm film or a 4K digital camera, it's the script, the set, the lighting, and the actors that make the movie. The same with music. It's the vision, the song and the playing that has to be there.

But I'm veering off topic. I'm looking forward hearing what Ace puts together.

Putting the desk together, looking great, just waiting on the poly to cure on the side panels. Then it will be easier to place the M-520 on it before putting the leather bolster on the front. I wasn’t that happy with the plexi door that the building put on the right side, contemplating my options for best look now. May just put it on and not worry about it, it will need some shelves installed inside there to be any kind of effective storage since my iMac sits on top, no CPU for that cabinet.
The heat gun works wonders on making poly smooth and glassy!
Rain tomorrow, unlikely I’ll get much more moved or done, hopefully by the weekend…
2C08DB8C-057F-47C3-BD31-8A1357C65A1E.jpeg
AEF3CEDF-CC91-4884-9558-EB36CA78BDEB.jpeg

I hear this comment from other people, and really don't understand it. Being digital doesn't mean you have to work on your own, any more than having a 16 track means you have to play with a band.
And the entire history of recording bears this out. Both situations have happened myriad times in both mediums.
McCartney did his first solo album on his on, playing all the instruments, and did it with tape
As did Stevie Wonder for much of "Innervisions." But I love the album so much, I never think of that when I'm listening to it.
Unfortunately, all the folks I used to make music with have scattered away (or passed away). I don't hang around with musicians much anymore, so it's become a more solitary process. It's not because of tape or digital. It's because of people.
Same here. I enjoy the solitary process, but only because I'm not going to sit around lamenting how lonely it all is. It's actually exactly the same as when I used tape or to put it a better way, it's not because of digital's wonders that I do more on my own. There's always been a healthy balance for me between playing music with people and doing a load of stuff on my own once the basic tracks or overdubs are down.

and yeah, I love the look of a desk full of knobs and faders.
So do I. When I was a kid, it was football stadiums. Passing one was like being transported to somewhere mythically wonderful. Then it was actual studios. Now it's just the desk. I even like some VSTi interfaces. I'm getting easier to please !

However, having unlimited tracks and all the bells and whistles of a daw can often promote ‘playing with your toys’
I think it's actually neutral. It's the one using the DAW that determines how many of the toys get played with.
Both with my 8 track portastudio and my 12 track DAW, there are tons of features that I've never used or use. In 30 years. Having the things there doesn't mean they have to be played with.
On the other hand, 24 track enabled bands like Queen, on some early recordings, to go bananas, to the extent they used the tracks and did so much bouncing, the tape went clear !
Whereas having limited options ‘forces’ to a degree more of the old ways of recording
Yet, the reality of humans recording is that from the very moment we worked out how to record sound, we kept moving toward the situation that digital eventually gave us, more tracks, more bells and whistles, cleaner, more "accurate" sound. More automation, effects, less and less human input, or let's say more, done by less people. And certain instruments started going that way too. What we call digital had its genesis in the moans and groans of studio engineers, producers and artists throughout the 1950s, 60s and 70s, grizzling about the limitations of tape and analog technology.
As soon as overdubbing entered the building, bit by bit, the notion of the people in the room playing began to make a graceful exit as the only norm. Even in the 60s, the Beatles were in studios through the night, not always recording together. Some of the outtakes that appeared on the anthology are quite a surprise as to their sparseness and lack of numbers playing together.
One could go as far as saying that the onset of recording actually spelled the death knell for the idea of musicians always playing together, for the simple reason that.....they no longer had to in order to achieve the same results.
To elaborate a bit more..... technology to a degree causes laziness
It doesn't so much cause it, as much as enable it. People are people. Flawed, lazy at times, but also innovative and sometimes finding it more productive to do more with less. 8 track was seen in some quarters as sacrilegious, with 4 track being the altar at which some practitioners bowed. But once 8 track was in, people wanted 16 ! Then 24. The Beatles wanted 72.
You’re in your home studio. Working to a click track, everything locked to a grid. You send the files to your buddy. They add their parts (to a click, locked to the grid)
This gets sent to the other players.
On the other hand, I think of a great song like Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" which began life with just Jimmy Page on guitar and John Bonham on drums. You'd never know it by listening to it.
Click tracks didn't start with digital recording. They pre~exist recording per se. The whole locking to a grid thing is just one way of going about it. And I think within both mediums, there can be very impersonal ways of recording. As there can also be wonderfully interactive ways. Everyone's situation differs, also at different times.
But if Mike is in NC, Joe is in CO, Ted is in CA, and Steve is in Tx, then it's just me and Bill left. Not a lot of interacting is going to take place.
Music making is very much like film making. It's not just one way of doing it, there are a variety of ways and they combine and overlap. Of course, not every aspect of the creative process is satisfying, but who genuinely loves tuning their guitar, I mean the actual act ? Or changing strings ?
When I think of all the people that have contributed to my recordings over the years, it would have been impossible to get them in the same place at the same time, rehearse them to a shared understanding and then record in a single take. Sometimes, it would have been impossible to get them all in the same country at the same time !
In this respect, I completely disagree with Marshall McLuhan that The Medium is the Message.
I think McLuhan was in need of several corrective slaps :spank:for that ridiculous notion.
The irony is that in so many recording quarters, it has turned out to be held by so many of its practitioners, both digital and analog.
But I'm veering off topic.
That's hopelessly human, too. And so say all of us !

Good lord. We opened up the digital analog war again. 😂

Almost as bad as discussing politics.

Hope we get back to discussion of his studio build.?

I’m sorry I ‘dared’ expressed my opinions on the joy of analog recording. 😂

Whereas having limited options ‘forces’ to a degree more of the old ways of recording.

Yet, the reality of humans recording is that from the very moment we worked out how to record sound, we kept moving toward the situation that digital eventually gave us, more tracks, more bells and whistles, cleaner, more "accurate" sound. More automation, effects, less and less human input, or let's say more, done by less people. And certain instruments started going that way too. What we call digital had its genesis in the moans and groans of studio engineers, producers and artists throughout the 1950s, 60s and 70s, grizzling about the limitations of tape and analog technology.

Yeah! Lets get back to the old ways of recording with tape. I blame it all on one man!

Concertone1401Les-Paul.jpg

I just did some boring work today on the studio, finishing up paint on the new trim work. I decided for aesthetics, it would look better if I painted the inside of the desk under the racks black, just in case any of the plywood or white showed through the patch bays or rack equipment. Mounted the door to the cabinet… it’s plexi when I requested solid wood, so I’ll either have to build it, deal with it, or put some kind of film to obscure the interior contents (i.e. it’s likely going to be a mess in a big open cabinet... Which brings me to installing shelves in there at some point and since it’s so deep, maybe I’ll put them on sliders? We’ll see. I’d really rather just get on with getting my console in there!! Then the crazy wiring begins!

Ace, I really like the desk you have, and it's got me thinking about getting some wood, pulling out the circular saw and jigsaw, and building something to replace the old computer desk. One thing that I like about my computer desk is that it has a cabinet where I can put the computer inside and close the door almost completely. The back has the top half cut out so I get airflow through, but it audibly cuts the noise from the computer. It's low enough that if I'm recording, I can hear the whine from an external WD 4TB drive, but not the fans from the computer once the door is closed.

Maybe that will be a summer project.

Ace, I really like the desk you have, and it's got me thinking about getting some wood, pulling out the circular saw and jigsaw, and building something to replace the old computer desk. One thing that I like about my computer desk is that it has a cabinet where I can put the computer inside and close the door almost completely. The back has the top half cut out so I get airflow through, but it audibly cuts the noise from the computer. It's low enough that if I'm recording, I can hear the whine from an external WD 4TB drive, but not the fans from the computer once the door is closed.

Maybe that will be a summer project.
I added the plexi door back on today. That is what that cabinet was supposed to be for, but I use an iMac for my computer, so no seperate CPU. Not sure how much sound proofing that would provide.
C3633D8E-3EC5-462F-95BC-AE8BCE40F457.jpeg

ECC8649D-43C5-431E-85DB-2788B77591F1.jpeg

I placed the armrest temporarily here. I’m going to wait until I get the M-520 in place tomorrow before finishing the desk assembly.
879D23F7-5073-4535-815A-D47F9876E9F1.jpeg

Good lord. We opened up the digital analog war again.
I'm the "India" in the digital analog wars. I'm totally for both.
Almost as bad as discussing politics.
I think there are some people that, if they had the weaponry, would rain havoc on the cities of those that disagree with their recording views. They don't, so they use keyboards instead ! :devilish:
I’m sorry I ‘dared’ expressed my opinions on the joy of analog recording
I'm not. They were interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: RFR
Today's work. It's starting to "deaden" up in there as I add more things. It was amazing, not even hanging them on the wall but simply putting them in the room, the bass traps immediately had an effect! I just added a heavy drapery curtain across the door (door opens out, so it works well), which added a touch of absorption. I'll likely create some fabric covered foam reflection absorbers to place in certain places in the room. The asymmetric shed-style roof line really works to break up the "box" though! Pretty happy with the room sound already AND it's snowing outside today an close to 32, I haven't even had the minisplit on higher than 62 and it's warm in there!
All this is child's play compared to the upcoming days of WIRING HELL!! :) ha ha
IMG_7270.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7269.JPG

I dig that tuck and roll Kustom. I remember when those were the bee's knees! (or maybe the cat's pajamas... it was a long time ago.) Our band had the black Kustom 100 PA with two 4x8 columns, 4 hi imp mic inputs and reverb. It cost $800 way back then. Add some Shure Unidyne B mics and we were set.

I didn't notice the slope to the ceiling. That definitely should help. I guess I just looked at the pics and figured the slope was due to perspective.

How heavy are the keyboards? I have a Yamaha DGX635 and there's no way I would want to take that down off that upper shelf. It's about 40 lbs.

Today's work. It's starting to "deaden" up in there as I add more things. It was amazing, not even hanging them on the wall but simply putting them in the room, the bass traps immediately had an effect! I just added a heavy drapery curtain across the door (door opens out, so it works well), which added a touch of absorption. I'll likely create some fabric covered foam reflection absorbers to place in certain places in the room. The asymmetric shed-style roof line really works to break up the "box" though! Pretty happy with the room sound already AND it's snowing outside today an close to 32, I haven't even had the minisplit on higher than 62 and it's warm in there!
All this is child's play compared to the upcoming days of WIRING HELL!! :) ha ha
View attachment 116481

View attachment 116484

View attachment 116487
Where’s the desk? Waiting to see the M520 in it’s home. ;)

I think there are some people that, if they had the weaponry, would rain havoc on the cities of those that disagree with their recording views. They don't, so they use keyboards instead
I’m not that guy ;)

I’m stuck with both. Sporting 16 track tape, reaper and protools
My current big beef with digital is the fact I have two computers and need two mice and keyboards, as well as separate screens

Where’s the desk? Waiting to see the M520 in it’s home. ;)
IKR! Unfortunately, I didn’t have heavy lifting help today and then it started snowing and sleeting! I got done what I could. The biggest problem I discovered when I put the power supply in my vertical rack is that the power cable from it wouldn’t reach the M-520 right hand back side. Ugh. So change of plan and I had to move it to the top rack with my patch bays… it’s the little details that make gettin all this together even harder and slower. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get someone to help me move the M-520 and the MS-16 over. More pictures tomorrow!

Back