My studio build

Yeah, all those hard surfaces, you will really need to treat to get rid of the slapback echo. And the corners will really screw up your bass response if you don't get some traps in there (assuming you are mixing in there).

They look lovely, until you add cables and power supplies! Very clean look!
Actually, I think I'm going to dispense with connecting these and just keep a "snake" of power cables and swap the synth out on a floor stand when I want to work with them or program them. Since I'm not sequencing or playing live, there isn't as much reason to have them all connected at the same time. Bonus: cleaner look

You're going to need a bigger shed!
Ha ha! I said that right after it was delivered! I have a plan and have managed to fit all that I want into my "project" studio. It's not like I'll be tracking a band in there, it will just be me, maybe a guest occasionally. Plus, it's all the room we had in the backyard!

Assembling my console desk, tomorrow I’ll have it together and hopefully get the mixer moved in to it then as well, depends on if I can find a strong friend to help! That thing (Tascam M-520) weighs a ton!
3D919181-6513-4ADC-9CC9-E7906BAA3DAD.jpeg

Two man carry for sure. Desk looks nice
Yes, two people can carry it, just using hyperbole to convey how heavy that thing is! once it’s in, it’s in and I won’t be moving it much, that’s for sure. The Tascam MS-16 and Tascam 388 both weigh a bit too.

Cool. 👍🏼 Yeah that’s a heavy beast.

It will be a nice setup . 😎

I’m running the M520, an MSR 16 , combined with pro tools and reaper.

Always been very happy with the console and deck.

Incorporating the digital just opened up more options.

Look forward to seeing your setup when it’s all done. 🙂

Cool. 👍🏼 Yeah that’s a heavy beast.

It will be a nice setup . 😎

I’m running the M520, an MSR 16 , combined with pro tools and reaper.

Always been very happy with the console and deck.

Incorporating the digital just opened up more options.

Look forward to seeing your setup when it’s all done. 🙂
That‘s awesome to hear! I plan to use iMac with Logic Pro with mine, digital option, as well. The 388 was just for fun and that I used to use it in 94 at the studio I worked at. I ran studio C, lower cost recording for younger bands, and loved it’s workflow. Nostalgia purchase for me.

Nostalgia purchases can be practical as well.

In the 90s I had a demo studio, and we did a few actual ‘records’. (CDs)

Lots of bands, including my own, recorded there. Had a great live room.

I’d really enjoyed working with my setup....you guessed it. MSR16 and the M520.

As a result, had lots of recorded tape.

Once I got back into recording again, but in the digital age, I had no choice but to get another desk and machine to digitize all the work previously done. Made sense to get the gear that was used in the initial recordings.

Despite the advantages of digital, analog recording is so much more fun. (To me)

Working in a 16 track tape format is so much more rewarding on a musical level. The workflow is so different from working in solitude in a daw. You gotta work together and actually play music. 😎

And it’s really nice to use a mixing desk even when you’re working in the digital realm.

I don’t view having only 16 tracks as a hindrance, but as a benefit.
Two of my favorite records were done on a smaller format, They serve as inspiration

Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland. 16 tracks

Deep Purple Made in Japan. Two 4 track machines linked together.

Both records sound great.

Good luck with your studio and your future projects. 👍🏼

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your original studio build. I'm glad to hear that you found a new supplier who was able to deliver when they said they would. I'm sure your new studio will be great once it's all finished!

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Despite the advantages of digital, analog recording is so much more fun. (To me)

Working in a 16 track tape format is so much more rewarding on a musical level. The workflow is so different from working in solitude in a daw. You gotta work together and actually play music. 😎
I hear this comment from other people, and really don't understand it. Being digital doesn't mean you have to work on your own, any more than having a 16 track means you have to play with a band. McCartney did his first solo album on his on, playing all the instruments, and did it with tape.

If I could get a bunch of people together, I would plug a dozen or so mics in, fire up Reaper and hit Record, just the same as you would with a tape. I can add EQ and compression to the interface if I needed. I just wouldn't have to wait for the reel to rewind! Unfortunately, all the folks I used to make music with have scattered away (or passed away). I don't hang around with musicians much anymore, so it's become a more solitary process. It's not because of tape or digital. It's because of people.

.... and yeah, I love the look of a desk full of knobs and faders.

Back