my little slice of sonic heavin in the making

vangore

Hey all,

I have recently decided to turn my bedroom into my main room for mixing, sampling and writing my own private music away from my band. I was recording in my bands practice room which is actually the live room of a now unused small studio, I am going to continue to use this room for recording drums and loud guitar cabs but its not that suitable or comfortable for mixing.

To get to the point i have roughly drawn out a plan of my room with a few ideas that i have so far but i would like suggestions and anything else you would like to throw my way.

The walls and cieling are finished in tounge and groove pine boards with pine floor boards on the floor ther are large velux windows over each of the recesses in the side walls.

Also this is my only room to sleep in so the bed has to stay in the room somewhere.

Cheers

Attachments

• full plan with measurments.JPG
    full plan with measurments.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 102
  • full plan with measurments and ideas 1.JPG
    full plan with measurments and ideas 1.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 71
Plans look good. I don't know what to suggest. What do you plan to make absorbers and bass traps out of?

thanks, 2*4 timber thin cloth and rigid fiberglass, im just thinkin meybe i need more absorbtion at all frequencies especially along the side walls.

Would it be better to diffude ir absorb at the areas where the sound from the monitors will first hit the side walls?

I want to soffit mount a pair of mackie hr824s but is it safe to pack the inside cavity with fluffy fiberglass if the amps in the mackies are gonna heat up?

Every room is different.. but in larger control rooms I try to achieve a "deadness" behind, above and below, and next to the monitors, then diffuse on the back part of the ceiling or parts of the back wall, depending how the room acoustically impacts what you hear.

Smaller rooms tend to sound just as bad with diffusion... so go absorbtion.

And I need to learn how to type. LMAO

Thanks frederic, yeah my typing does leave alot to be desired but im a plumber not an office worker or someone from whom its a required talent.

So i should have a checkerboard of high and mid range absorbers at the first point where the sound waves from the monitors hit the side walls and also on the cieling the whole length of the room, some additional bass trapping somewhere along the side walls wouldnt go astray i should think.

anyone have any ideas about soffit mounting active speakers?

cheers fred

Back