my first posted mix.... please listen and critique(is that spelled right?)

anteroom123

my first posted mix.... what would make it sound better?

hey, im new to the site, iv read alot on here and listened to other peoples stuff for a while too, and finally decided to post one of my own.

i recorded a local band recently just for fun and wanted to know what you guys thought of it.
its the first version of the song, i had them redo parts of it do to my lack of experiance, im just trying to figure things out, im relitively new to all this stuff, so any comments are appreciated.
and as i said this is the first version, we redid the whole song, but i wanted to post the first version since its the only one thats finished and mixed.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=703104

thanks for listening :D

-Matt

Last edited:
its a really high end heavy mix, sounds like youve cut anything below 200hz, im guessing the guitars were either a line 6 or a practice amp with a tiny speaker (thats what im hearing). Try re recording them with at least a 1x12 cab, if they are using cheap equipment it might be worth using an amp modeller.
Were the drums done with just one or two mics coverin the whole kit?
Its a promising start :)

hey thanks for listening, yah we accually recorded the guitar with the line 6 pod, we redid the whole song using an ibanez 2x12 combo, it sounds alot better and fuller. the drums were done at the time with just 2 mics, we redid those too with a CAD 6 piece drum mic set, they also sound alot better.
the bass was direct. iv tryed EQing the song alot to try and bring up the bottom end, but im not sure whats missing. ill post the new mix as soon as i get it done.

any ideas on how i can improve the bottom end sound, they wanted the song pretty heavy sounding, im pretty new to all this, so any advice is verry appreciated.

thanks alot!

Yeah, you spelt it right.
& Yeah, no mids or bottom end in h'phones.
More bottom end can be mic angle for a start, then EQ, some double tracking and possibly some very careful chorus or 'verb - just enough so you can hear it & then wind it back a little.
Compression will assist but it's the real worm in the can.

As far as death metal goes I like the music but I cant stand the screaming or what sounds like singing while breathing in. I agree there is no low end.

hey, thanks alot for all the imput, were currently re-recording the song trying some new ideas and equipment. ill post it when its done.
thanks again

Back