My First Ever Mix!

berlunt

Hi guys,

This is the first mix I've ever tried to do, its one of my friend's songs so preferably stick to criticisms of the mix rather than the song. Feel free to be as harsh as you like I'm well aware I'm a million miles away from being good at this!

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/james-hunt-458219833/cool-britannia

Attachments

• Matt Rogers - Cool Britannia final_Mix Buss.cm-St.mp3
    7.5 MB · Views: 11
Welcome to the site.

If this is your first mix, I thought it was very good. Not a Spotify-ready mix, but still quite nice for a first effort. Gave me a Herman's Hermits feel. I liked the song.

The lead vocal was nice and present - at just the right level IMO. I'd double track the lead all the way through the song. I'd quad the harmony vocal, and pan a pair of tracks to each side. Not sure all of the takes of the harmony vocal are solid. A couple of the "ah's" had a bobbled (or nearly-bobbled) note or two.

The guitar was a little muffled. It's like there's a roll off above like 4Khz or so.

I'm hearing more of the kick drum than the bass. I'd just nudge the bass up a little bit.

Thanks for your feedback TripleM, I'l definitely take on board that stuff and go back and change it. Nice to know I'm doing some stuff right already!

Welcome!

Pretty good, especially for a first song.

Those are canned drums, right? Something about them is feeling very "karaoke" to me. Maybe mess with the fills? Put a harmonizer on them? I'm not sure...

I might actually nudge the lead vocals down a touch. They really dominate the mix. I get that you're going for a vocally-lead mix, but it's probably still a bit much. To counter-balance that, it might be worth turning up the solo a little bit. It seems really quiet next to those vox. (And since they're not going at the time, it needs to make up the difference)

Guitars sound good.

I like the song. Lead vocal is too loud and in front of the mix rather than in it. I do like the dry vocal. What sounds like a tom is too loud but not by much. There's some harshness on the lead vocal that could be smoothed out. Good job.

A nice modern take on 60s style! Veddy nice!
The vocal is pretty good where it sits, but that's opinion. Others will say it's too loud. What I am hearing is IDGAS. It sounds like the person singing just couldn't care less. Good tone, good level, technically OK, just not an impassioned performance. It's really hard to sing into a corner with a mike 6" in front of your face.
Definitely the bass could stand a dB.
The lead is nice, very 60s sounding tone. Just the right amount of fizz. The main guitar tone is nice, but as was mentioned, could use a push on the top end.
Really good first mix. Just a few tweaks and you've got it.
Something I learned when I started out...it's never good to say "final mix". As a hobbyist, learning to mix, it rarely is...:)

great song dude. i like this a lot. snare sounds a little out of place to me for some reason. vocals are probably a touch loud, but i didn't notice until i saw the other posts.

Thanks for all your comments guys, really appreciate the tips and I'm definitely gonna go back and work on the track. The community here seems great and hopefully somewhere down the road I'll be able to help other people too

I like the song. Very catchy.

As far as a mix, I find it to be 'karaoke':

On it's own, the music is pretty good. Then the vocal just it pasted on top of it.
Almost like the music was backing tracks someone sang to.
The background vocals actually sit 'inside' of the tune, but the lead is just on top. It's too loud as well.

It does have that 60s Brit pop thing going on. Makes me think that if the Kinks had done this tune it could have been on the radio. :-)

With a bit more work this song could be quite good.
:D

Back