My Dream Mic Signal Chain.

GOODLAND

I'm thinking of buying the following for my dream mic signal chain.
AKG C414 BXLII -----> Grace 101 Pre -----> Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8M -----> Interface.
Let me know what you think. Or if you have any other suggestions of products that may perform better in the price range. Thanks.

GOODLAND said:
I'm thinking of buying the following for my dream mic signal chain.
AKG C414 BXLII -----> Grace 101 Pre -----> Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8M -----> Interface.
Let me know what you think. Or if you have any other suggestions of products that may perform better in the price range. Thanks.

Well. If you get a bad sound with that setup, you can't blame the gear. Personally though, I would prefer the AKG C414B/ULS and a Great River pre for a similar setup, which to me would be both better sounding and more versatile. Start saving, nothing on that list is ridicolusly expensive.

Martin OM35 -> AT 4060 - Great River -> Lucid A/D -> [Insert high-end interface here]

That's my dream chain. I'd personally rather have that Martin than any gear in the world.

mxl 990 > dmp3 > motu 8pre

its safe to say my dreams have already come true. who am i kidding , how about a new microphone haha. :) are you sure its still a dream set up if youre ready to buy it?

I am sure there are better options out there, but I am very happy with my dream setup:

Avalon AD2022 dual channel mic pre
Gefell M300 matched pair of small condensers
Peluso 2247LE large diameter condenser mic
UA2192 AD/DA converter
Hafler P3000 Amplifier w/ Daedalus w-803 monitors
E-MU 1212m soundcard

Thanks for all the replys.
My current mic signal chain is as follows.

S.E. electronics 2200A ----> DMP3 ----> DBX 166XL COMP. ----> Interface.

How much of a difference will I really hear between my current signal chain and my "Dream" Signal chain? Thanks.

There are so many ways to go here - last night I put together one of the best sounding vocal chains I've ever used (& I have chains that run well into 5 figures...).

Gefell UM900 > Buzz ARC1.1 > Lucid AD9624, friggin magic!! $6000± for the whole chain; sounds as good or better than chains costing 2-3 times as much IMO.

Scott

AKG 414B/ULS s/t over my drums ----->API 3124+ ----->Apogee Rosetta

OH wait, I'm gonna have that in a week :) ...well then...

Manley Gold Reference Stereo over my drums--->probably still into a 312, or maybe a couple Neotek elite II channels, orrrrrr, maybe a Grace 201, but I've don't recall ever hearing OHs through a Grace before, but I'd take one just the same :) -----> and then either in the DAW through a Rosetta or possibly a Mytek Stereo192 ADC.

So many options, I'll let you know when that second one happens, ha, we'll see.

GOODLAND said:
Thanks for all the replys.
My current mic signal chain is as follows.

S.E. electronics 2200A ----> DMP3 ----> DBX 166XL COMP. ----> Interface.

How much of a difference will I really hear between my current signal chain and my "Dream" Signal chain? Thanks.

You can get your dream chain for a little bit over a $1000, minus the distressor, which would still sound great.

Hi,
Well the C414 > Grace 101 is exactly my primary signal chain although I own the XLS not TLII version. I would suggest the XLS over the TLII myself. Just to give you a heads up, the C414/Grace combo *can* sound a little clinical at times- or at least "non-colored / accurate". All in all, I am very happy with this set up as the C414 is a a very versatile tool to have, and the Grace is clean, quiet & reliable. I am now looking to cheaply add more colored mics to the aresenal- My Beyerdynamic M88 should be ariving today! Good Luck.

Sir EL84 said:
Hi,
Well the C414 > Grace 101 is exactly my primary signal chain although I own the XLS not TLII version. I would suggest the XLS over the TLII myself. Just to give you a heads up, the C414/Grace combo *can* sound a little clinical at times- or at least "non-colored / accurate". All in all, I am very happy with this set up as the C414 is a a very versatile tool to have, and the Grace is clean, quiet & reliable. I am now looking to cheaply add more colored mics to the aresenal- My Beyerdynamic M88 should be ariving today! Good Luck.

Why would you suggest the XLS over the TLII?

hmm...

Vintage U47 -> a "real" Neve 1073 -> original 1176 -> Apogee AD -> Pro Tools HD

:D

i can dream... old school meets new age ;)

TragikRemix said:
hmm...

Vintage U47 -> a "real" Neve 1073 -> original 1176 -> Apogee AD -> Pro Tools HD

:D

i can dream... old school meets new age ;)

Not so far off, only a little bit over a thousand...Oh wrong guy...

Not so far off, only a little over $20,000...oh wait, you want the whole Neve console...you're bankrupt now and on the same search as thousands of others! Let me know if you find a 1073 :p. Aren't dreams wonderful...you can salivate all night long and never spend a dollar!

...Seriously though, someone let me know :)

GOODLAND said:
Why would you suggest the XLS over the TLII?

The XLS is has a more natural frequency response while the TLII has a bit of rise in the high treble- supposedly to allow vocalist and lead acoustic instruments to cut better through the mix. All C414's are generally considered on the brighter side of transparent, so I felt I didn't need the extra zing. YMMV. I love my XLS- there are probably better 1st choices for pure vocal tracks, but as an all around mic- you could do A LOT worse than a 414.

Back