My DAW won't wake up !!!

I'm still getting things seet up in my new (Gigabyte W7) DAW and the power settings right now have a sleep mode (which I may disable later.) Last night, it would not come out of sleep mode. Even the power switch would not work, I had to pull the power cord. Even if I am going to change the power settings, this is not a good thing to have on the machine. Does anyone here know this problem and how to resolve it?

Thank you.

=================
EDIT: I realize that I may be mis-stating the case a little bit. The lights and fans of the computer still do their thing, but maybe it does than even in sleep mode; however, the monitor won't respond and wake up, so I don't really know how awake the computer is or isn't. The monitor is an old (and beautiful!) Dell CRT, but really a Sony Trinitron. It works perfectly except for this sleep thing. It will eventually be replaced.

Last edited:
First, don't let it go to sleep. I would turn all of that off. Also, make sure the hard drives and USB are not turning off. If the HDs turn off, the computer won't kick back on. That is 99% most likely the problem.

First, don't let it go to sleep. I would turn all of that off. Also, make sure the hard drives and USB are not turning off. If the HDs turn off, the computer won't kick back on. That is 99% most likely the problem.

Thank you. Yes, I won't be using sleep mode once I get recording. But this: """ Also, make sure the hard drives and USB are not turning off. If the HDs turn off, the computer won't kick back on.""" DO you mean that there are sleep mode settings in which the HD is not turned off? I guess I don't know enough about sleep mode anyway.

Also, a tip[ when you need to shut it off and the power switch doesn't do anything: Press and hold the power switch in, usually takes about 10 seconds and it will shut down.

Even if the HDD is off and everything else is on, OP should still be seeing something on his monitor pre-bios, which should state that there is no disk drive to work from. We need more information. You can obviously tell the fans are on; if this is the case, the MOBO should be operating just fine as well, and that should supply power to the HDD (unless it's an external drive). The only problems I can see right now are a faulty HDD, a faulty PSU, or a faulty monitor.

EDIT: I actually don't even know the problem. Is the problem that you can't see anything on the monitor anymore or just that you can't see anything when you try to wake the computer from sleep mode?

EDIT: I actually don't even know the problem. Is the problem that you can't see anything on the monitor anymore or just that you can't see anything when you try to wake the computer from sleep mode?

I made the assumption that when it goes into Sleep mode, you can't get it to wake up. The common cause is usually the HDs turn off, which is used to save battery on laptops.

I'll be exact.

There is an ON button and a little indicator light on the monitor front. When the monitor is plugged in and ON button is pushed, the light comes on yellow, whether there is a computer connected to the monitor or not. When the computer boots the monitor, the yellow light become green. Well, when I had this problem, I had turned the monitor off, expecting the sleep thing to shut the computer down. When I returned later, I did the keyboard-mouse thing, and hit the monitor's ON button. The monitor indicator light lit up YELLOW, turned green for about a second or two, gave a big click, and went back to yellow. Never did any light appear on the monitor screen.

Yeah, I won't be using sleep mode much with a DAW, but there must have been some malfunction. It's only done it once, but I've not used the computer much yet. At this point, the builder will make right anything not yet right.

Back