MXL603S or KSM27 for OH's?

MX3282

Hey, what would you say would be the better buy for a pair of overhead mics. I hear alot about the MXL 603's and also the Shure KSM27's. I know the Shure's are more expensice but are they that much better as an overhead mic and an instrument mic?

Depends.

If they do what you want them to do, and the 603s don't, then you could make a strong case for the ksm27 being worth the extra money.

On the other hand, if the 603s jive really well with your kit, cymbals, music style, and personal taste ... then I would suppose that would be your better value.

MX3282 said:
Hey, what would you say would be the better buy for a pair of overhead mics. I hear alot about the MXL 603's and also the Shure KSM27's. I know the Shure's are more expensice but are they that much better as an overhead mic and an instrument mic?
The KSM27's pickup more room... how's your room sound?

I use the Marshall 603 matched pair for drum overheads and I like them. I leave the foam windscreens on them to help cut down on the high end because they are a little bright. They came in a metal carrying case with shockmounts and windscreens for $210. I have a twenty year old SM57 on the snare and an Audix D6 for the kick drum. I'm very happy with the sound.

I heard they both make great OH's and instrument mics. What I wanted to know was what were the distinct differences. DJL Pointed out the the KSM27's picked up alot more of the room, maybe they'd be great in an iso booth. On the other hand, studio citizen points out how bright the MXL 603's are. this makes me wonder if they were very good for accoustic guitar. The guy at muzac stop suggested I get the MXL's for OH's and said he can get me a matched pair for $400 CDN with carrying case and shockmounts. Again, that's affordable by CDN standards. I never got a CDN quote on the KSM27's.

Anything else I should consider? Right now I'm gonna go check out the specs, but I'd rather hear about the real life experiences. Thanks Alot guys.

IMO, the MXL603S sounds great on acoustic instruments... but the 603S is kind of a bright mic and sometimes sucks on cymbals. Oh and you should be able to find a much better deal than $400 for a matched pair of MXL603S's with shock mounts and a case... so shop around for a better deal.

MX3282 said:
I heard they both make great OH's and instrument mics. What I wanted to know was what were the distinct differences. DJL Pointed out the the KSM27's picked up alot more of the room, maybe they'd be great in an iso booth. On the other hand, studio citizen points out how bright the MXL 603's are. this makes me wonder if they were very good for accoustic guitar. The guy at muzac stop suggested I get the MXL's for OH's and said he can get me a matched pair for $400 CDN with carrying case and shockmounts. Again, that's affordable by CDN standards. I never got a CDN quote on the KSM27's.

Anything else I should consider? Right now I'm gonna go check out the specs, but I'd rather hear about the real life experiences. Thanks Alot guys.

Yeah, what DJL said, at $400 you are getting raped. The 603s are only $200 US for a matched pair with shockmounts, etc, which is about $250 CDN. Check into shipping rates from the US if need be.

I've not used the 603s for overheads yet, but do like it on acoustic.

Lookin to replace these OH's

The Page song on my web site was recorded with a pair of Shure Beta 56a's as OH's. They didn't sound that bad, but then there wasn't alot of bottom end on them at that distance. It was recorded live in a 12 X 22' room. I used the Beta 56a's for an out-door show once as a pair, they seemed to work. That's why I bought em'. I still am hoping to finish off my collection of tom mics. Get maybe three more of these.

Last edited:
Back